Let's Play with .... Wrappers!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
wrappers_lets_play_with.jpg

What are your favorite recipes using wonton, spring roll (or egg roll) or dumpling wrappers. Do you use for raviolis? Do you fill with sweet or savory fillings? Do you make traditional wontons, egg rolls, spring rolls or dumplings?

Pictures are always welcome but not a must.

Start with a wrapper and then ...................

Last edited:

Deelady

How funny! I was hoping to use my spring roll wrappers for lumpia soon! You read my mind! How much time is allotted?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
How funny! I was hoping to use my spring roll wrappers for lumpia soon! You read my mind! How much time is allotted?
These threads are all open ended that way people can add whenever they can. No pressure.

One of the easiest, hold onto your wrappers is........

Piergies!!!

So easy. Fill the wrappers with mashed potatoes & any one or combo of:

shredded cheddar
shredded cabbage
sauteed mushrooms &/or onions
spinach

Fill each wrapper w/ about 1 tbl of filling. Pinch to seal. Boil or pan fry in oil to brown on both sides. Add some water to the pan, cover & steam for a few minutes.

WOILA! Instant pierogies. Serve w/ sour cream and more sauteed onions.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Pot stickers - I'm going to try making my own wrappers (maybe). It doesn't sound too hard.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I once fried up a mixture of hamburger and onions and rolled into Wonton Rolls (Burrito Style) and deep fried in a skillet of olive oil. Yum! where they good topped with spaghetti sauce and grated cheddar cheese.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We have gone to several chinese buffets and they have a dumpling/wonton with a sweet creamy filling. Has anyone had these before? I'd like to know what they are called and whats in the filling?

QuirkyCookery

I *love* wonton wrappers. Enough so that I've actually been working on a post for my QC site to show off some of my favorite ways to use 'em. If I had to pick a top favorite, I guess I'd have to go with a classic crab rangoon type dish, but honestly, I stuff wrappers with everything you can imagine, use them in place of pasta (lasagna!), boil them, fry them (love wonton chips), bake them, whatever. So good. <3

Carolina Cooking

We have gone to several chinese buffets and they have a dumpling/wonton with a sweet creamy filling. Has anyone had these before? I'd like to know what they are called and whats in the filling?

I think I have made them. Steamed Sweet Buns.
I'll have to hunt up my recipe.

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter

Are you possibly thinking about the Crab Rangoon?

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wow so good ideas here so far.

I think I have made them. Steamed Sweet Buns.
I'll have to hunt up my recipe.

OOOOOOOOOO I hope you can find it.

LS and Joe - I really don't think they had crab in them.

I am not a big seafood lover. I think I would be able to tell if there were crab in there (do they taste fishy)?

These were sweet and in the section with the fruit/pastry/dessert type foods.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
empanadas! luv 'em. & i agree w/ the pierogies- luv 'em!

lol, me being the flake i can be, i thought when i 1st saw this title the other day, we were s'possed 2 take pix of like mcdonald's wrappers, oopsies. i almost, almost beat boxed. yep, cause i needed a laff directed toward myself 4 my flaky moment

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Wow so good ideas here so far.

OOOOOOOOOO I hope you can find it.

LS and Joe - I really don't think they had crab in them.

I am not a big seafood lover. I think I would be able to tell if there were crab in there (do they taste fishy)?

These were sweet and in the section with the fruit/pastry/dessert type foods.

Just a note about fish/seafood in general. If fish tastes or smell fishy, it is old or is bad, and should not be eaten. Properly harvested fish and seafood is processed quickly and immediately frozen unless it will be eaten very soon. If it smells like fish, I avoid it. When I catch walleye and Lake Erie perch, it is cleaned and frozen in bags of water to retain its freshness. When we catch it, we also have ice in the cooler that we store the fish in to transport back home.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
joe is quite correct- look 4 a firm texture, shining eyes, the scales should shine, & the fish should be drawn promptly asap unless its intended to be cooked whole, & stored, as also as joev posted, placed on ice promptly. i won't buy seafood unless i smell it. i heard the one lady say, 'that (explicitive) is a nut wanting to smell some fish before she'll buy it'- i let her loudly know as i flitted away from the counter that she'd lost a customer, & that her manager should so luv 2 hear that the comment she made & the result of that, as shall the corporate persons
she suddenly tried to be sweet when i passed that section again looking 4 another item in another section. i smiled, waved & went 'ta-ta', have a good 1, now!~a side-rant. soapbox is in the my other room now

Phiddlechik

I like to make eggrolls: cooked ground pork, shredded cabbage, onion, carrot, celery, ginger, 5-spice powder. Roll and fry.
I've not made ravioli with them, but would like to.
Crab rangoon doesn't/shouldn't taste "fishy." But if they were in the dessert section, it was probably something else. Maybe it was just a sweetened cream cheese filling.
They are also good for making mini-turnovers (filled with a fruit filling).

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I like to make eggrolls: cooked ground pork, shredded cabbage, onion, carrot, celery, ginger, 5-spice powder. Roll and fry.
I've not made ravioli with them, but would like to.
Crab rangoon doesn't/shouldn't taste "fishy." But if they were in the dessert section, it was probably something else. Maybe it was just a sweetened cream cheese filling.
They are also good for making mini-turnovers (filled with a fruit filling).
OOOOOOOOOOO Those a turnovers sound good.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:bonk:Wonton Cups and What I Did Wrong :bonk:

I still have some wonton wrappers, so I'm going to give these another shot and hopefully get them right the second time.

Flub #1 - I didn't press the bottom of the wrapper into the mini muffin pan cup, so they didn't want to sit up straight.

Flub #2 - Was so busy watching Julie and Julia that I forgot to give the wrappers a spritz of cooking spray before baking, so they didn't brown very well and you can still see the cornstarch, which is not very appetizing.

Flub #3 - Overfilled the cups

I did like the filling though:
ground pork
sherry
oyster sauce
soy sauce
garlic
ginger
bok choy
bean sprouts
carrots

wontoncupfilling.jpg

My Messy Bessy Wonton Cups:

Wonton_Cups_With_Pork_Filling.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
:bonk:Wonton Cups and What I Did Wrong :bonk:

I still have some wonton wrappers, so I'm going to give these another shot and hopefully get them right the second time.

Flub #1 - I didn't press the bottom of the wrapper into the mini muffin pan cup, so they didn't want to sit up straight.

Flub #2 - Was so busy watching Julie and Julia that I forgot to give the wrappers a spritz of cooking spray before baking, so they didn't brown very well and you can still see the cornstarch, which is not very appetizing.

Flub #3 - Overfilled the cups

I did like the filling though:
ground pork
sherry
oyster sauce
soy sauce
garlic
ginger
bok choy
bean sprouts
carrots

wontoncupfilling.jpg

My Messy Bessy Wonton Cups:

Wonton_Cups_With_Pork_Filling.jpg
They look wonderful to me!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
They look wonderful to me, too, Cooksie!

Mouth-watering!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
WOW I thought I had posted this.

Wonton Soup

050211_wonton_soup_prep.jpg

050211_wonton_soup.jpg

Last edited: