GOODBYE

PanchoHambre

To my nasty ass kitchen

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
P1010006.jpg

the back wall is gone... the rest goes this weekend... I am so happy to see it gone it was wretched... one little window above eye height.. a solid door with no knob that did not latch and had a draft... GROSS paneling and torn up floors... not sure what/when is going back but I am happy to see it go. The exterior work had to be done... no real budget for a new kitchen and I really need to pour a slab under it so I may rig up something temporarily still it will be better than what was there.

Need to start figuring out how to get by with a crock pot and a microwave for awhile though.... wish me luck... I will keep y'all updated on the demo and eventual reconstruction.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Wow!!! That's so cool, Pancho! Isn't it exciting to tear out all the stuff? Even when you're faced with a gaping hole, it's still better than what was there. I felt so free when I did this to my kitchen! Keep posting pics as you go because I know, in the end, it's going to be fabulous! WTG, Pancho!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Welll, thats a relief, I thought you were leaving us. We had the gaping hole bit for a while - its fun. All the best for the new kitchen.

Derek

Banned
To my nasty ass kitchen

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
P1010006.jpg

the back wall is gone... the rest goes this weekend... I am so happy to see it gone it was wretched... one little window above eye height.. a solid door with no knob that did not latch and had a draft... GROSS paneling and torn up floors... not sure what/when is going back but I am happy to see it go. The exterior work had to be done... no real budget for a new kitchen and I really need to pour a slab under it so I may rig up something temporarily still it will be better than what was there.

Need to start figuring out how to get by with a crock pot and a microwave for awhile though.... wish me luck... I will keep y'all updated on the demo and eventual reconstruction.
Put in a brick pizza Oven, Put in a brick pizza Oven, Put in a brick pizza Oven,

:) Grats on getting a new kitchen PanchoHambre

chowhound

Hey at least you had a window in your kitchen (lol).
It looks like quite the project. Keep us posted on the progress.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
If you don't already own one, buy or borrow an electric fry pan. We did a similar renovation project when we moved the kitchen from the middle of the house to the back of the house (yep, some ass hole designed it right in the middle of the house with no windows). The electric fry pan was used a lot, along with the grill on the deck and the nuke. We still have that baby down the basement.

Good luck on the renovation. It's fun to make improvements to your home. Will we all be invited to the ribbon cutting? I'll bring the bread...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
New kitchens are worth every penny. Have fun with the renovation. It's exciting to see the project come together. Keep us posted with lots of pix.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Welll, thats a relief, I thought you were leaving us.

Me, too! Skeert me.

I hate the disruption of home improvement projects, so I tend to live with shabbiness, myself.

Panch, I use my toaster oven a lot, so that's an appliance you might consider, too.

Best of luck!

Lee

PanchoHambre

Thanks for the well wishes... today was demo day... took out paneling over drywall over 1x3 over panelling over all sorts of yuck down to the bricks.... One wall the plaster can be saved... the other... well its basically rotting away... oh my the part that was under the old toilet..... why somone did not fix the water problem .... 2 layers of plaster... asbestos board... old fake tile paneling... new fake tile paneling.... eww

here are some pics of the destruction

P1010008.jpg

here is the backwall... the block is where the new door and window will go.... my mason buddy will work miracles to remove the collum of brick in the center and install a new limestone lintel... currently over the old door there is a wood lintel holding the inner course of brick and some stucco and wire holding the outer course... the other opening the outer course has an iron lintlel which is haning in thin air and a wooden one on the inside....I am terrified to come home and find dudes boots sticking out of a pile of rublble when the whole thing comes down....

P1010007.jpg

The east wall after removing the drywall, furring strips and paneling the paster is more or less intact... several layers of paint and wallpaper but nothihg some fill and skim coating cant fix... my stove is now disconnected and stuck in a corner....

P1010006-1.jpg

the West wall is where the damage is... the bricks are in terrible shape... lots of water damage... the black spot in the corner is where the toilet used to be... ewwww I left the sink base for now because the only other water is in the bathroom or the front yar d hose as the utility sink in the basement is half intsalled ( a bakyard hose is going to be put in with the wall job)

P1010009.jpg

this is the old vent fan that was concealed in the wall.... old world charm LOL

Its going to be awhile til I have a kitchen again... the main reason the work is getting done now is that the guy doing the masonry and carpentry is moving back to TX and he is the man I trust.... and the wall was in bad shape

What you cant see in the pics is the room needs a whole new foundation because it was added to the house sometime in the late 1800s I think and has no foundation or slab...

This is the last big job on the house although there is still tons of work to be done throughout....

I am so happy the old kitchen is gone though

here are some pics of the evolition

where the door from the dining room was

100_1096.jpg

the brick was the original back wall... (no kitchen or bathroom in the house when it was new) the seam is where it was patched when the kitchen was added... unfortunatley the wal was unstable which led to its removal

100_1108.jpg

which allowed me to have a wider central opening between the dining room and kitchen

Downstairs4.jpg

here is a pic of the kitchen as it was... with my bro's awesome dog BO.... oh it sucked with that little window... I could have tolerated all the nasty if it had light... its the sunny side of my house too... I cant wait to have sunlight....

100_1120.jpg

I totally bought a lemon with this house... I am a bad shopper... but it is finally starting to come together. I have no idea what is going back.. it wont be an awesome kitchen... it is small (my house is an old 19th century workers rowhouse 13' wide) the kictchen is not quite 10x10 and I have NO budget but it will be better than what was.

wish me luck!

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG! It looks so much like my kitchen when I demolished it! I think mine was even painted the same color at one time. Take heart - it will be done one day and it will all be worth it. Here's a couple of pics of mine when I started:

Attachments

• Demolition1.JPG
    Demolition1.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ChimneyRevealed.JPG
    ChimneyRevealed.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 122
  • WhatWasIThinking1.JPG
    WhatWasIThinking1.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Phase2#1.JPG
    Phase2#1.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 137

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yes FM I think I recognize the lovely shade of blue!

at least your kitchen had windows!

Great Pics BTW
Actually, it only had one of them. I uncovered 2 more when I ripped out cabinets! (The window to the right of the brick chimney was covered over with sheetrock and then cabinets and the same thing for the one next to the door. So ya never know what you may find, Pancho!)

suziquzie

I'll second what Joe said about the electric skillet.....

We had a time last summer where the propane was getting VERY low and I didn't want to run out b4 we could afford more..... between the grill, crockpot, microwave and skillet (ok and an electric steamer w/ rice bowl) I barely missed the stove and oven. Kicked out alot less excess heat also, which was good since the a/c is out too.....

I LOVE BROKE!
:)

Looks great!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh yeah, Pancho, you DEFINITELY needed a new kitchen. Even _I_ would have a tough time living with your old one!

Keep us posted.

Lee

PanchoHambre

Actually, it only had one of them. I uncovered 2 more when I ripped out cabinets! (The window to the right of the brick chimney was covered over with sheetrock and then cabinets

Why do people cover windows? ARGH... my house was like a cave where the glass block is a window was boxed in (I put glass block because the alley is a dog run and a view of poop is not what I was going for... and the two back rooms had itty bitty sample windows installed where there had been big openings.... It is so great to get some natural light into the house.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Pancho please be careful with that asbestos crap... it is very hazardeous to your health and i know you are doing the remod yourself but it really is best left for the professionals... i have watched to many DIY shows to for my own good..lol

PanchoHambre

Pancho please be careful with that asbestos crap... it is very hazardeous to your health and i know you are doing the remod yourself but it really is best left for the professionals... i have watched to many DIY shows to for my own good..lol
yeah I know... there were only a few sheets of it tough and by the time t was uncovered it was too late to worry.. they were solid sheets though.. its the airborne stuff you have to worry about.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Jeff brings up a good point, Pancho. Try to wear a respirator (about $40) or at least a mask because you are also dealing with lead based paint. Once you get everything painted and primed, you're fine.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I forgot to ask - have you found a place to get windows? Scouting around for an architectural salvage place is worth the time. But if you can't find one, see if you have a Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. They always have lots of doors, windows, sinks and toilets and tons of other stuff depending upon when you visit. The prices are great! Also, if you have a Freecycle in Philly, it's worth joining. It's like Craig's List, only free!

Biskit

Yeah, I'm signed up. So far, I've received an electric heater, two big bags of baking cocoa for dw, some other odds and ends. Have gotten rid of a thing or two, too!

I think it's great!!!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Yeah, I'm signed up. So far, I've received an electric heater, two big bags of baking cocoa for dw, some other odds and ends. Have gotten rid of a thing or two, too!

I think it's great!!!
It's wonderful! It keeps me from hanging onto too much stuff because "it's too good to throw out" and "I know someone could use that."