Vietnamese Summer Rolls

Kei

12 large shrimp, peeled, steamed and cut in half lengthwise
1 carrot, coarsely grated
1 cucumber, peeled, cored and cut into fine strips
1 6" piece daikon radish, cut into fine strips
1 cup mint leaves, cut into fine strips
6 large rice paper wrappers

Divide the shrimp and vegetables into six equal portions.
Fill a large shallow dish with about ½ inch of lukewarm water and soak the rice paper wrappers one at a time until they are soft and flexible. Gently lift the wrapper out of the water, and hold it over the dish to drain off excess water.
Lay the wrapper on a clean plate. Distribute and arrange one portion of the shrimp and vegetables in a narrow layer horizontally across the lower half of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper upwards to cover the filling. Fold the left and right sides inward toward the center, and snugly roll the wrapper and filling toward the upper edge. The rice paper wrapper will stick to itself to form a sealed roll. Try to roll as tightly as possible, taking care not to tear the wrapper.
Repeat the process for the other five wrappers. With a sharp knife, cut each roll in half at a diagonal angle. Arrange on an attractive serving dish, garnish with mint leaves and serve with Nuoc Cham dipping sauce. Serves 4.

For those who don't know what nuoc cham sauce is, it's a light fish sauce with some lime, chilies and garlic mixed in.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I ate some Pho noodle soap with two different cuts of meat in it. One was well done the other was pretty rare. Now I'm assuming it was beef but I won't swear to it and it was very good.

Kei

Most places will serve very thinly sliced pieces of beef that's raw. You put it in the hot broth and it cooks it right there.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I really don't know as I actually ate it in Vietnam in the late '60s and again in the early '80s when I returned for a couple of days. Both dishes where different though I never asked what was in either as they tasted good. In my travels around the world if it tastes good then don't ask.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We once went to a French Vietnamese restaurant here in Chicago. They served these but they had cilantro in them. Being that I am not a huge fan of cilantro, these sound much better to me!
Thanks!

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You ever have pho? It's really good.

pho is one of my favorites... we use to go to a small pho restaurant in Costa Mesa,CA... will always be my favorite pho place to eat

We once went to a French Vietnamese restaurant here in Chicago. They served these but they had cilantro in them. Being that I am not a huge fan of cilantro, these sound much better to me!
Thanks!

that was my only draw back to Vietnamese cooking as well, they use LOTS of cilantro and it is not one of my favorite things... some places you gotta ask for no cilantro(if they can understand you...lol)

besides Pho, there is a beef soup of sorts that i like from the Vietnamese culture...even with cilantro in it, i still love it..lol