Chipotle Cole Slaw?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This sounds delicious, and a nice change from regular slaw.

But the recipe I saw for it used an ENTIRE can of chipotles in adobo with, I think, 2 cups of sour cream .... and cabbage, of course.

I love the flavor of chipotle, but those things in the cans with adobo sauce scare me (I am a wuss about spicy-hot stuff).

Any ever try Chipotle Cole Slaw?

How would you suggest I make it, given the above?

Lee

P.S. I do have dried anchos and dried chipotles.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well if spicy foods scare you the dried chipotles run about 8000 Scoville Heat Units and the anchos run about 5000 so it wouldn't be as hot as with the chipotles. Poblano Pepper (Fresh), Ancho Chile(Dried Version) are the same thing by the way. A chipotles is a smoked and dried jalapeño allowed to ripen till red usually though not always.

Now if that is still a bit strong banna peppers go about 500 on the SHU.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is one I've tried and liked, but no fear of heat. I don't think it is the same as Osis is talking about. No sour creame in this one at all.

Chipotle Cole Slaw - CDKitchen http://www.cdkitchen.com

Ingredients:
1/4 cup champagne wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/3 tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo -- pureed
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 head green cabbage -- shredded
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
1 large carrot, julienned
1/4 red onion, sliced
1 jalapeno -- julienned
1/4 fennel bulb -- julienned (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons sugar

Directions:
To make chipotle vinaigrette, add first 5 ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a steady stream to emulsify the vinaigrette. Add salt and taste to adjust seasoning.

Toss all of the vegetables together. Add the salt, pepper, sugar and chipotle vinaigrette. Toss to combine.

Let cole slaw sit refrigerated overnight.

Serves: 6

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Y'know, joe, I clicked again on the link and read the whole slaw recipe this time.

He uses just the adobo, not the peppers. I could do that, and just add in a little sauce at a time.

I think I can buy a jar or bottle of just the adobo sauce. Right?

Lee

This is the one I was talking about, Breezy.

It's on Grillin' Fools' website http://grillinfools.com/blog/2010/06/09/campfire-fish-tacos-with-chipotle-slaw/

Lee

Lee - you're misreading the recipe. It says to REMOVE the peppers from the can of sauce, add HALF A CUP of JUST THE SAUCE to the mayo, & save the peppers & any remaining sauce for another use. It then says that only IF you want more heat, can you put the peppers & sauce into a blender & puree them, & then add some of that to the recipe.

Thanks for posting the link - I saved & copied all of it - Fish Tacos, slaw, & Pico de Gallo. Hubby doesn't care for cole slaw, but I think he'd like this recipe for it atop of cod Fish Tacos!

Mr. Green Jeans

Nice attention to detail Breezy. I glanced at that and thought WOW! that had to be hot. Now it makes sense. Lee, thanks for posting.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Y'know, joe, I clicked again on the link and read the whole slaw recipe this time.

He uses just the adobo, not the peppers. I could do that, and just add in a little sauce at a time.

Lee

I've seen just the sauce before but have personally never tried it. I make my own peppers often using my smoker and ripened to red jalapeños. I've also used the canned version of pepper and sauce which is pretty hot by most standards.

I suggest if you try using the sauce you add just a bit at a time to set the heat.

If you decide not to use the peppers, they not only keep for quite a long time in a small jar in the fridge, but also freeze well. I just put them individually on a wax-paper-lined baking tray, & after they're frozen solid, just stick them in a little Ziploc baggie.

Mr. Green Jeans

Lee

Lee, I think by using just adobo you miss the smokey flavor and s smidge of the heat from the chipotles.