Who has an e-reader?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm lusting over a Kindle, but Sony and Barnes & Noble also have highly rated e-readers. So does anyone have one? Do you love it? What do you like best about it? What do you like the least?

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Me too, me too! It is so hard to find English language books here, and Kindle's wireless service now extends to Mexico! Anyone???

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
vyapti, can you ask her if she uses the Kindle download service exclusively or if she also loads some of the thousands of free books on the net in the public domain? If she does, how easy is it to do that?

Lefty

Yank
All I can say is wait. Not for long mind you, the new Kindle is coming out at less than half the original "full bells and whistles" model. A price war is going on and it will do nothing but help you to wait. Amazon is reporting record sales in the ebooks. This will bring the price down. Do your research too, kindle does not use the most widely used format. The are proprietary.

I'll wait till after Xmas so I can buy one in color.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's why I'm lusting, Lefty! The newer, cheaper Kindles will be shipping the end of August! (No color display, though.) The 2 new Kindle models are $140 and $190.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
A few weeks ago, I flew from NYC to Vallarta, and had a lay-over in the Dallas airport (there IS a point to this story, be patient). While waiting at the gate, I spotted a woman with a Kindle and asked her how she liked it. She loved it. She let me look at it - it really looks almost like a real book page, and you can adjust the resolution and type size. I currently listen to alot of audiobooks, which are at least twice as expensive as ebooks, because that's one of the only ways I can get new releases. I am definitely lusting too, Terry. I don't know if I can wait until after the first of the year.

lilylove

I have a Kindle and LOVE IT!!! I've only downloaded books from AMazon but it's as easy as pie to do! It's great for Mexico because even in the brightest sun it's easy to read. We are talking about buying another one now that the prices are falling.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
My daughter has a Sony. She picke3d it, because she liked the size. She tells me that the Kindle binds you very closely to Amazon (There e-Book prices have risen).

She E-Checks books out of the public library for free with her Sony.

. S. She loves it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
They had the Sony on sellout.woot recently for $150, but I didn't get to the site quick enough and it sold out. Thanks for letting me know that Paula has one and likes it, Andy.

vyapti

vyapti, can you ask her if she uses the Kindle download service exclusively or if she also loads some of the thousands of free books on the net in the public domain? If she does, how easy is it to do that?
She's been downloading tons of free books (more than she can read lol) and sharing with a friend at work. I don't think she as bought anything.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Thank you, vyapti!! That's exactly what I wanted to know. There are sooo many free books that I suspect I won't be buying many, either.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Woo-hoo! Thanks so much for raising the question, terry. There is a Kindle in my future...soon.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'll 2nd, or 3rd that. Thanks for starting this thread. Good info. I know there is some type of e-reader in my future. I'll still do some homework and maybe wait a bit like Lefty suggested. I have quite a few books in my 'read' line and I have to finish them before I buy an e-reader or else I'll never read them. :)