Are you an animal (pet) person? (Multiple choice)

Pets? (Multpile Choices allowed)

• Total voters

Lefty

Yank
1 dog, Cairn Terrier.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 152

buckytom

Grill Master
we have 3 cats, 2 parrots, a lizard, a turtle, and a goldfish. so i'd say yes, lol.

if i ever get a big yard, then i'll get a dog as well.

smoke king

Banned
Absolutely a pet person-all animals really, save for "snakehead fish" (shudder)! Here they are, in order, Izzy, Vegas, Sam the cat and Bella!!

Attachments

• It's My Turn For the Bathroom.jpg
    It's My Turn For the Bathroom.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Pick Me Up.jpg
    Pick Me Up.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Sam the Cat.jpg
    Sam the Cat.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Bella.jpg
    Bella.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 147

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a dog and 4 cats. Through the years though we have had them all from snakes to a skunk. With 4 kids that loved animals it was hard to not have them living in South Florida.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Two Labrador retrievers. (Bear & Liam, you have sen the pix). No current cats, but I have had as many as 5. 4 KOI, 4 Shebunkins, One Sarassa Comet, and 3 we are not sure what in the pond in the back yard.

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
My lil guy, this is the day I got him home. his name is Jiggy, pronounced Yiggy

4115639271_3d32945808_b.jpg

a little more recent

4511499289_7d61d7b92d_b.jpg

4485310734_0204b7ce9d_b.jpg

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
2 cats and 3 dogs: Jack, Milo, Bella, Junior and Scrappy Coco. We've also had a lovebird, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice, frogs and lizards. (Kids bring home lots of critters.)

I forgot - we also had a huge, lop-eared bunny who hated my husband and would attack him every chance he got. It reminded me of the killer bunnies on Monty Python.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Your photographs are amazing, too, UR! It's really hard to get great pics of an animal - bravo for these.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am open to just about anything but snakes. No snakes. Did I mention no snakes?

We have two dogs currently. Would love to have a parrot. My oldest daughter also has a gerbil.

The wife wants to someday visit India. They have snakes. Big ones. Cobras. I told her the only way I am going there is if I can take three or four Mongoose with me. And a suit of armor...

K

Kimchee

CUrrently only 2 dogs and 3 cats.
When wife was a high school biology teacher, we also had:
1 cannibal hamster named Hannibal
1 6 ft corn snake named Rosie
1 tarantula named Octavia
2 rats named Frick and Frack
1 box turtle named turtle

All "cool" pets that had lost their cool, so students
gave them to Teacher! We thought they were cool, too!

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I like both dogs and cats, but I only have one cat right now. He won't allow a dog or another cat in the yard, much less the house.

7b.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've had lots of dogs and birds over the years, but right now I'm down to 2 dogs.

Squirt is a half-blind, diabetic old lady, and Chico is a rambunctious young pup.

Attachments

• dog park 004.jpg
    dog park 004.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 118

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Here's some of our folks.

First pic is of me last year, just back from a week in the hospital. Note the nurse spaniels in my lap and the one hiding behind the chair.

Second pic is part of the gang in one of the living room chairs.

Jt's hard to get a good snapshot of a black dog!

Attachments

• jim_dogs.jpg
    jim_dogs.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 121
  • maggie_abby_friends.jpg
    maggie_abby_friends.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 121

buckytom

Grill Master
a snake may be in my near future. i promised my boy that if he does well in school, he can have a milk snake. now i just have to stall him till the fad wears off.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
a snake may be in my near future. i promised my boy that if he does well in school, he can have a milk snake. now i just have to stall him till the fad wears off.

Look at it this way get him a lizard and once you can handle that then go for the snakes. Snakes are great creatures but not real good pets unless you can find an Indigo which I doubt. Iguanas are pretty good for kids if you get them small enough to start with and keep them properly they can get huge and still be pleasant to be around.

buckytom

Grill Master
good advice, josie. he has an anole named eggy. it's basically a tiny gecko. it's the only pet that he actually helps take care of, spraying with water and feeding mealworms every other day or so.

guess who gets to take care of the rest of the pets, except the cats? :neutral:

i'm trying to hold off on the snake until he's old enough to do most of the caretaking. they don't have to be fed a lot, but handling frequently is important.

i'll have to look into an indigo. what makes them good pets?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
good advice, josie. he has an anole named eggy. it's basically a tiny gecko. it's the only pet that he actually helps take care of, spraying with water and feeding mealworms every other day or so.

guess who gets to take care of the rest of the pets, except the cats? :neutral:

i'm trying to hold off on the snake until he's old enough to do most of the caretaking. they don't have to be fed a lot, but handling frequently is important.

i'll have to look into an indigo. what makes them good pets?

Well indigo can get up to 6 feet long and are have very gentile temperaments. The will also eat raw eggs so no need to feed live food such as rats etc. They also live a very long time in captivity but do live longer in the wild. At the moment I think they are protected by law though they let thousands of the go in south Florida years ago to handle crop robbing varmints. They did a pretty good job of it too I might add. Now S. Florida has a problem with exotic animals such as Anacondas, cobras, boas Iguanas, as well as many fish from Africa and S. America which have come in through the years. They have a real Eco mess on their hands at the moment.

Be aware that you don't want to handle a lizard or a snake (they really are the same thing as both including turtles are reptiles) when they are shedding or just afterward. That is when they tend to bite due to the fact it hurts.

I don't recommend Rat snakes as they do tend to be mean and quick to bite though it really isn't going to do any damage it does hurt.

buckytom

Grill Master
i saw a 5 foot black rat snake on a canoeing trip a few years ago. as i climbed out onto a rock, we were face to face a few feet apart. the thing reared up at took an offensive posture just like a freakin' cobra! i think i'll avoid them in my house, lol.

i've taught my boy that when hiking, always step on then away from a downed tree across the trail. never directly over.

florida does have a mess on their hands. it's a shame. they have the climate and terrain to support all of those escaped animals from smugglers and the pet trade, so i can't see how you can get a handle on the problem.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Cricket, our little Terrier-Chihuahua mix, is ready for me to start cooking. It’s a little hard to see, but he is doing his dance. He’s very good at standing up on his back legs and hopping around on two feet. He can do it for as long as he likes. Kills me when he stands up and dances or walks about. Too cute.

2hq83mf.jpg