CI shock awe stun . . .

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so tonight is by request sloppy joes. not my favorite, but whatever.....

ground beef minced out over the cutting board for a salt&pepper bath.

backstory: married long time; pots&pans of every sort and type.
Revereware thin stainless, heavy copper stainless lined, Club aluminum,
Caphlon anodized aluminum nonstick, etc etc yadda yadda.

incometh DW: "Could you please use that cast iron pan? things taste better when you fix them in that fry pan."

you can't make this stuff up . . .

oh, it's a ca. 1920's slant logo Griswold - a hunnert year old pan besting out the miracles of modern marketing . . . .

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
so tonight is by request sloppy joes. not my favorite, but whatever.....

ground beef minced out over the cutting board for a salt&pepper bath.

backstory: married long time; pots&pans of every sort and type.
Revereware thin stainless, heavy copper stainless lined, Club aluminum,
Caphlon anodized aluminum nonstick, etc etc yadda yadda.

incometh DW: "Could you please use that cast iron pan? things taste better when you fix them in that fry pan."

you can't make this stuff up . . .

oh, it's a ca. 1920's slant logo Griswold - a hunnert year old pan besting out the miracles of modern marketing . . . .

Lots of things taste different and better when cooked in a cast iron. There should be a law that corn bread can only be baked in CI.

Griz and Wag rocks. So too smart wives.

Leni

And if camping you can put it directly on the fire. I very rarely cook with anything other than cast iron.

Johnny West

Many years ago I picked up a heavy, no name CI skillet at a garage sale for 50 cents. The gal said it was her grandmother's and no one wanted to ever use it. I told her I'd give it a good home. It makes a wonderful corn bread, too.

Another no name #8 skillet I got from my SIL which she found in a field after the Zenia tornado. How'd you like that coming at you at tornado wind speed? It does a great job for frying fish.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I agree, corn bread does best in cast iron. I got one of those cute "ear stick" pans - does not do so well; I think the volume per ear is too small - it bakes done before it gets a good crust....

I'm thinking to yard sale me a 4 or 6 inch ci for cornbread. . . 10 inch is too big, a single batch is too thin - and two geezers can't eat a double batch....