Sausages with Grapes and Vinegar

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
When I saw this recipe in my Cook's Illustrated magazine, I first skipped over it. Usually, I would never give a recipe that combines fruit and meat a second thought.

But I DID give it a second thought after looking at the ingredients. I already had everything I needed except for the grapes. S

So what the heck.

It was delicious! Easy, too! Served over bow tie pasta with roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.

The combination of flavors, especially the fresh mint to garnish, was terrific!

Served over bow tie pasta with roasted Brussels sprouts on the side.

Thanks again, Cook's Illustrated!

Lee

Sausages with Grapes and Vinegar

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/re...sage-with-grapes-and-balsamic-vinegar-for-two

Serves 2

Serve this dish with crusty bread and salad or over polenta for a heartier meal. Our favorite supermarket balsamic vinegar is Bertolli Balsamic Vinegar of Modena.
Ingredients

• 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 12 ounces sweet Italian sausage
  • 8 ounces seedless red grapes, halved lengthwise (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 onion, sliced thin
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons dry white wine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
  • 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Instructions

1. 1. Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Arrange sausages in pan and cook, turning once, until browned on 2 sides, 3 to 5 minutes. Tilt skillet and carefully remove excess fat with paper towel. Distribute grapes and onion over and around sausages. Add water and immediately cover. Cook, turning sausages once, until they register between 160 and 165 degrees and onions and grapes have softened, 8 to 10 minutes

2. 2. Transfer sausages to paper towel–lined plate and tent with aluminum foil. Return skillet to medium-high heat and stir salt and pepper into grape-onion mixture. Spread grape-onion mixture in even layer in skillet and cook without stirring until browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is well browned and grapes are soft but still retain their shape, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, stir in wine and oregano, and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until wine is reduced by half, about 30 seconds. Remove pan from heat and stir in vinegar.

3. 3. Arrange sausages on serving platter and spoon grape-onion mixture over top. Sprinkle with mint and serve.

Attachments

• Sausages, onions, grapes.JPG
    Sausages, onions, grapes.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 142
  • Sausages, onions, grapes 2.JPG
    Sausages, onions, grapes 2.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 145