Peep's Mom's Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup Stock:

1 Whole chicken or 4 whole chicken breasts - with bones & 8 chicken wings*
Leeks - green part for stock - clean well in water
Carrots - 2 unpeeled
Celery - 2 stalks whole
Onions - 1 large - unpeeled and halved
Parsley - stems - washed well
Pepper corns - (I use 5 corn blend) I put them in a tea ball for easy removal later - to taste
Salt - to taste

Place all in lg. pasta pot with insert. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer 2 - 3 hours, the longer the better and chicken falls off the bones. Remove insert from pot (which will strain everything out in one shot) remove chicken pieces and throw away the vegetables. Leave stock in pot. Clean chicken making sure you get all the bones out. Chop into bite sized pieces. Set aside.

Chicken Soup:

Homemade Chicken stock
Cleaned chicken meat
Leeks - white part - chopped small and clean well in water
Carrots - peel and chopped small
Celery - cleaned and chopped small
Onions - chopped small
Parsley - cleaned chopped fine
Potatoes - peeled and chopped small
Salt and ground black pepper - taste stock and adjust to taste

Place all in pot. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer till vegetables are tender. Taste and correct the salt and pepper if needed. (Add canned chicken stock if necessary.)

Rice - brown or white - cooked - place in bowl and serve soup over the rice.
Grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses - add to top of the bowl of soup.

My mom would sometimes make tiny meatballs made of ground beef, fine chopped onion and garlic, bread crumbs, parsley chopped fine, grated Romano and Parmesan cheese and egg. She would roll tiny meatballs and fry them in a small amount of oil till brown then drain. She would add them to the soup at the end.

She would also sometimes add chopped fresh tomato and/or sweet baby peas to the soup. It all depended on how she felt that day and had on hand.

*Tip: If you buy whole chickens and cut them into parts save the backs and the wing tips (you can't eat the very tip of the wing but they add great flavor to stock) . Throw them in the freezer. The next time you make soup throw them in with your chicken when you make the stock.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Re: Mom's Chicken Soup

Sounds great! Your mom must have been a fabulous cook. I don't think my mother even knows (or knew when she was cooking) what a leek is. I love leeks in a soup, especially navy bean soup.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

Sounds great! Your mom must have been a fabulous cook. I don't think my mother even knows (or knew when she was cooking) what a leek is. I love leeks in a soup, especially navy bean soup.
i must confess i added the leeks to her recipe. a lot of my recipes are based on hers that i have tweeked here and there but i still call them hers. she was a great cook!! and you need a great foundation to build on!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Picture update:

Dinner 9/22/09:

Chicken soup over rice.

chicken_soup_092209_P1040289.JPG

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

thank you keltin!!

IS THIS BOWL NICER THAN MY LENTIL SOUP BOWL?

Oh, that's a tough one! Don't make me pick.....please don't make me pick!!!! I'm an equal opportunity bowl lover!! :lol:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Oh, that's a tough one! Don't make me pick.....please don't make me pick!!!! I'm an equal opportunity bowl lover!! :lol:
ROTFLMAO!! thanks for the chuckle!! MUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i luvs ya babes!!