ISO Tempura Batter mix

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I want to make a baked chile relleno recipe that a poster on another forum wrote about.

She said she used a tempura batter mix. I've looked in two large supermarkets (one of which is Asian), and I can't find the batter mix.

Where should I look? My plan involves NOT making a from-scratch batter.

I was thinking about using my beloved McCormick's Fish and Chips batter mix, but I haven't given up on the tempura yet.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Do you have a Publix near you. I get mine there. It's a really good mix too. Tastes great, and fries up perfectly. I've posted some pics here before using it.

But, they keep it in a weird spot. Check in the Asian food section, and then go to the right of that section to the end of the aisle. They usually have a rack or some shelves at the end of the aisle, and that is where I find the Tempura mix. In my Publix, it's close to the seafood counter. If you can't find it, ask one of the guys at the seafood counter and they'll know where it is.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This might explain why you can't find the McCormick:

I-0013737.jpg
SPARKS, Md. -- McCormick & Company, Incorporated (NYSE:MKC) has announced a voluntary recall of Golden Dipt® Tempura Seafood Batter Mix 8 OZ, with UPC Code 4123470132 and “BEST BY” date of OCT 08 12 H. A very limited number of packages of Golden Dipt® Tempura Seafood Batter Mix with this date code contain an undeclared milk ingredient. People who have an allergy to milk run the risk of serious or life threatening allergic reactions if they consume this product.
The recalled cartons of Golden Dipt® Tempura Seafood Batter Mix were distributed to grocery stores in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maryland, Maine, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Wisconsin as well as internationally to the Cayman Islands, beginning on October 21, 2010. The affected product is packaged in 8 OZ cartons, and the date code is found printed in white ink on the bottom of the carton.
The recall was initiated after the discovery of a packaging error that resulted in a pouch of Cajun Style Fish Fry mix (which contains a milk ingredient) being packaged in the Golden Dipt® Tempura Seafood Batter Mix carton. The ingredient statement on the package does not list milk as an ingredient.
The “BEST BY” date of OCT 08 12 H is the only date code affected by the recall. No illnesses or allergic reactions have been reported to date and no other McCormick products are involved in this recall.
All grocery outlets that sell Golden Dipt® Tempura Seafood Batter Mix are being notified to remove the affected product (UPC Code 4123470132 and date code BEST BY OCT 08 12 H) from their shelves immediately. Consumers do not need to return the product to the store where it was purchased. Instead, consumers are urged to contact McCormick’s Consumer Affairs team at 1-800-632-5847, weekdays from 9:30 AM to 9:00 PM, or weekends from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM (Eastern Time), for a replacement or full refund, as well as instructions on what to do with the product.
This recall is being made with the knowledge of the Food and Drug Administration. The Company is also issuing an alert through the Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network.
Source: McCormick & Company Inc.

Carolina Cooking

I want to make a baked chile relleno recipe that a poster on another forum wrote about.

She said she used a tempura batter mix. I've looked in two large supermarkets (one of which is Asian), and I can't find the batter mix.

I was thinking about using my beloved McCormick's Fish and Chips batter mix, but I haven't given up on the tempura yet.

Lee

I would like a recipe for this. Could you post it ? There some really good one's here too.
I have a need to make some :yum::yum:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
This is the batter I use for my sweet and sour chicken. (It is tempura batter to me and easy as sin to make).

Batter:
  • 4 TBS flour (or enough to make a thick batter)
  • 4 TBS cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Ground black pepper, ground ginger and garlic powder to season flour - to taste

• Peanut oil

Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken cubes or whatever you want to coat into the batter and toss well.

Heat up cooking oil in a wok, deep fryer or deep heavy pan (I use my deep cast iron pan) and deep fry the chicken cubes. (Shake off the extra batter before frying). Transfer the food out to something lined with a rack, brown paper bag or paper towels to soak up the excess oil.

Norm

The two Asian markets where I shop both have tempura mix but my son's SO has a Mexican father and she makes chili rellenos his way. They turn out very good. First she whips egg whites to a soft peak then fold in beaten egg yolks. She dips the chili rellenos lightly in flour then in the egg mixture then in the hot oil. That works for us.

Guts

I have been buying it at restaurant supply in 5 pound bags for around five bucks a bag. You have a restaurant depot near you?

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm not trying to start a debate, but tempura is a pretty simple "mix" / "batter" - is there something to be gained by a "store" mix?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Chowder, it's a good question.

I've made chile rellenos entirely from scratch several times, including the batter. I'm trying to save time, effort and mess by taking short cuts.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Lee

Lee

I would ask the store manager, if you can't find the tempura batter/mix. Maybe I'm lucky, I've seen the mix & baby bok choy at the local Ralph's market. For a tempura batter, for shrimp etc., I use very cold water or ice cubes. It is very simple to make at home. Maybe your fish batter will work. Give it a go.