Chicken & Pasta Soup

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Chicken & Pasta Soup

2 tsp. vegetable oil
2 medium onions, cut in half and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
2 qt. Chicken Broth
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
2 stalks celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup uncooked trumpet-shaped pasta (Campanili)
2 cup roasted chicken cut into strips

Directions:

Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook until the onions are tender and caramelized, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat.
Heat the broth, black pepper, carrots and celery in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil. Stir the pasta and chicken in the saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes or until the pasta is tender. Stir in the onions and serve immediately.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I did pretty much what Lucky does, except I made my own stock from the turkey bones.

Here's how I did mine.

Lee's Turkey and Chicken and Pasta Soup

For stock:

Turkey carcass, with any skin, fat, and cartilege (first remove any nice-looking meat and cut into bite-sized pieces set aside)
4 quarts water
Several stalks of celery with leaves
Couple of carrots
1 large onion with skin on
four cloves garlic, smashed
2 bay leaves
teaspoon peppercorns

Put all the stuff in a stockpot and bring to boil. Lower heat to simmer, and let it go for 2 hours. Skim scum.

Drain through a colander and throw away all the solids.

Let the stock cool, overnight if possible (I gave it a head start by putting it outside in the cold.)

Skim fat.

The soup:

De-fatted stock
1 whole chicken, about 4 plus pounds
half a box of ditalini, cooked
4-5 carrots, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced
1 large onion, diced
Bell's Seasoning (poultry seasoning)
Salt and pepper to taste

Put the de-fatted stock back in a pot and add a whole chicken (you can cut it into parts, but I didn't). Bring to boil. Reduce to simmer for 40-45 minutes, until chicken is done. Remove chicken to plate to cool. When cool, remove the meat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Save the chicken carcass in the freezer for the next stock.

Bring the stock back to boil and add the vegetables. Boil 10 minutes or until vegs are tender.

Add in the chicken and leftover turkey. Add in some poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.

BEST I've ever made! And my house smelled like Thanksgiving for 2 more days!

Lee

Attachments

• Turkey soup 1 - prep.JPG
    Turkey soup 1 - prep.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Turkey soup 2 - cooling outside.JPG
    Turkey soup 2 - cooling outside.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Turkey-chicken soup 3.JPG
    Turkey-chicken soup 3.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited: