Grillin that meat

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I am wondering what all of you that grill do about temperature of grill and meat.

In the kitchen I use a thermapen and swear by it.

I am told the thermometer on the grill is notoriously inaccurate. I check the meat with the thermapen before serving it. Now with my new foray into my smoker, I read that may become a problem. I should keep the smoker closed up.

A bit of research finds a lot of solutions out there. does anyone have a favorite. I am also thinking that some of you go with the built in and get good results, so that is why I am asking.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, two words:

PROBE THERMOMETERS!!

Either Polder or Taylor brands are great.

Before my guy drilled into the lid of my WSM and inserted a heavy-duty thermometer, I dangled a cabled probe into one of the top vents to monitor the pit temp.

And I almost always leave a probe in large cuts of meat I smoke.

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I bought an accu-rite (??? or something like that) with the remote. I wouldn't recommend it though. I'd spend a little more money and get something better quality. The wire is already kind of messed up.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a beauty, Andy!

You have a workshop with a lot of tools - can you do this? And use the probe thermometers for your meats?

It's hard to read the brand of thermometer, but it's Trend.

Lee

Attachments

• Lid thermometer.JPG
    Lid thermometer.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Lid thermometer - close.JPG
    Lid thermometer - close.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 70

FooD

If it's a roast I use a probe. If it's a steak I go by time and feel. Rack of ribs I use a toothpick.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lee - MY WSM came with that type of thermometer built in (The dial). Yup! I have a bunch of tools (I am told more tools than Sears LOL).

I see your probe on the side of the grill for the meat temp. Where do you make entrance to the smoker to probe the meat? My dome lid fits very tightly, I would probably damage the leads. Could I go through the opening for the top vent, or did you drill a hole for the probes as well?

The probe that I posted the link for has long leads (I think I recall six feet). I have room to work with.

Side note - When I was researching the WSM, I read in one place that they discontinued the WSM and came out with the WSM 18" and the WSM 22". I think that is when they added the thermometer in the dome.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, my WSM's are out of round from all the carting around to and from competitions. Neither the lids nor the doors fit tightly, and I just put the leads under the lid or around the door.

Sure, you can thread them through the vents in the lid.

Lee

FooD

On my UDS I installed a threaded brass nipple where I can insert the wired probe.

P1060101.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I use a Maverick ET73 remote for both the smoker and the oven. I also back it up with a Thermapen just to be sure.

High Cheese

Saucier
I am wondering what all of you that grill do about temperature of grill and meat.

Nothing.

The only time I monitor cooker temps is when I'm smoking something. The original gauge in my smoker was way off so I installed a better model.

The gauge in my grill has never worked. I adjust temps by how the food is cooking.