Candied Orange Peel

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is how I make candied orange peel to either dip in chocolate, use in biscotti or holiday breads.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Candied Orange Peel[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Makes about 1 cup peel[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ingredients:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 oranges, use peel only[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]water to cover[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup water[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup sugar

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directions:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Peel oranges, scoring the peel into 5 or 6 sections to make them equal in size. Place the peel in a saucepan, cover with water and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. With a grapefruit knife, lift off most of the white pith so they will not be bitter.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Make a simple syrup:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a clean saucepan combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar dissolves. Add the peel and let simmer until the liquid is absorbed. This will take about 45 minutes to an hour. Watch it so it doesn't burn. Lift the peel out onto waxed paper or parchment paper to cool.[/FONT]​
[/FONT][/FONT]

I just saw Jacques Pepin do the same thing with grapefruit. After he removed them from the syrup, he tossed them in granulated sugar so they would have a sugary coating. Then some he dipped the tips in chocolate for an added touch. The remaining syrup he poured over the grapefruit sections with dried cranberries on top.

I made the orange ones as u did years ago. Id like to try them again. Thanks for reminding me :)

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have done that, too. Save the syrup to flavor other things. I have also tempered dark chocolate and dipped them halfway. If you want to do that, I highly suggest that you do not sugar them.

This recipe is the one I use when I make the candied orange peel and pecan biscotti recipe that I also posted.

Hello. I am a nut about candied orange peel. I make it for use in several desserts and also sometimes just have some in a cut glass dish setting out as candy. Occasionally I also dip mine halfway in really good chocolate.

For many years I made mine as Susan makes hers, using the boiling and scraping method, as that is how I was taught to make it by my mother and grandmother. Eventually, I began to look for a slightly easier method. For the past 6-7 years I have been just peeling my oranges with a potato peeler which leaves virtually none of the white on the peel.

I am not sure if there are any disadvantages to my method or not, but it works well for me. After that I proceed much as Susan described. Many people I know buy their orange peel prepared in the store, or at least what they claim is candied orange peel. It does not even remotely resemble what I make in color, taste or texture, and in fact has an offensive artificial taste to me, and I had rather leave it out entirely than to use the stuff.