What are you doing today?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Got back Saturday night from a week in Punta Cana (Iberostar Dominacana resort). Like the last time we were in country, the food was mediocre at best, and some of it was downright bizarre in looks & taste at the worst. One dish was named "Old Clothes," and was some sort of casserole that I couldn't bring myself put on my plate to even try. Using deductive reason ing, my guess is that this was some sort of leftovers. This is based on the Dominicans naming baked beans "Furnace on Beans." See where I'm coming from? :yum: On the plus side, they did an excellent job with the breads, and a very nice job with presentation of almost everything. Here are a few pics of the buffet tables.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.jpg
    IMG_3276.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_3277.jpg
    IMG_3277.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3278.jpg
    IMG_3278.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_3280.jpg
    IMG_3280.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_3281.jpg
    IMG_3281.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_3283.jpg
    IMG_3283.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3284.jpg
    IMG_3284.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_3301.jpg
    IMG_3301.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 202

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
looks similar to a partial day's work, here, & very lovely.

Last edited:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
explaining to my Mom, via voicemail, a cake i would luv. 'get urselves a cake that suits your preferential differations. please get me a Stillers /Pens cake fer 1.' my family adores sports. i can see a full cake of Pens & Stillers icons on that table.
we shall see soon.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
The weather here has been gorgeous, supposed to hit 80 tomorrow. I've got the itch to pull out the smoker and smoke some baby back ribs. We've had enough rain so that I don't have to worry about setting the world on fire :mrgreen:.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Joe - the dish you passed on is ropa vieja, one of my favorites!

I first heard of the dish decades ago, from Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet, and made it myself. Delicious! Cuban-style shredded beef! Have made it several times.

Your photos are wonderful!

I am envious of your vacation!

Lee

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
not getting a piercing. blake is a jagov.:hotdog: he swore he would buy me one. i'm officially elderly. fuk being old.

dining w/ my family, as well.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I've had the sinus infection from hell. Never had one before so I haven't coped with it very well. Feeling a lot better today, so I'm going to try and finish a small flower bed that I started but didn't have the energy to finish.

Embryodad

I've had the sinus infection from hell. Never had one before so I haven't coped with it very well. Feeling a lot better today, so I'm going to try and finish a small flower bed that I started but didn't have the energy to finish.
Feel better cooksie.

Those sinus problems have been with me since 13 years old.

Take it slow, and take your meds for it if you got some. Sinus is nothing to fool around with. The sinus is very close to the frontal lobe of the brain.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Feel better cooksie.

Those sinus problems have been with me since 13 years old.

Take it slow, and take your meds for it if you got some. Sinus is nothing to fool around with. The sinus is very close to the frontal lobe of the brain.

Gah, scare me to death :mrgreen:

I almost finished my flower bed but ran out of mulch. That stuff never goes as far as I think it will.

Embryodad

I did something really stooopid yesterday. Got into some poison ivy :pat:
Oh! NOooooo!

That is one thing that never bothered me.???? Weird! But Poison Oak does get me.
Gotta let it burn out of your system now cooksie.

Dom Boro Powder works great for the area's that it comes out. Make a solution and daub it on.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Had a perfectly wonderful day with my son, dil and granddaughter.
We ate here, then went to a nearby park to relax and talk and soak up the sun.
She, the granddaughter, Kasey suggested we go on the swings in the playground section.

She said she could swing higher than me. I started kicking the gravel underneath me and said watch this kiddo.
:yum:
I flew high into the air and let go of the chains and landed in the grass.
She was screaming and clapping over Nana's shenanigans.

I'll be paying for it tomorrow. :ohmy::twak:

Embryodad

Oh Gee Grandma.... You Faw Down?
Great that you have the energy to even get on the swings.
I couldn't even imagine fitting on a darn swing.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Gee what a great question. First weekend in a couple months I haven't had a show. I have enough stock for next weekend's show, so.......

Make some pens I like (the more complicated one's). Yard work ..... always fun (being serous, I enjoy it). Clean the shop that looks like a bomb hit it? , Fire up the smoker. Hmmmmmmmm.

How about, throw some ribs in the smoker, take the leaf blower to the inside of the shop and chill. It's supposed to be near eighty degrees today.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Oh! NOooooo!

That is one thing that never bothered me.???? Weird! But Poison Oak does get me.
Gotta let it burn out of your system now cooksie.

Dom Boro Powder works great for the area's that it comes out. Make a solution and daub it on.

I've never heard of Dom Boro. I used some apple cider vinegar, and that helped the itching somewhat. I now smell like a pickle :huh:.

Leni

I got into that once. The doctor told me that if I ever ran into it again I'd land in the hospital because the reaction was so fast and so severe.

You might ask your local pharmacist what would work better.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm keeping a close watch on it, Leni. I don't have any of the symptoms that indicate that I need to see a doctor. Asking the pharmacist is a good idea, thanks.

I've done a lot of reading about poison ivy over the past few days. Just in case someone doesn't already know this, you should never burn poison ivy. If someone inhales the smoke, that stuff (oil or whatever it is) can get into your lungs and be very serious.

I checked it out, Jimmy. Reviews are all good :thumb:.

1650002324.jpg

Embryodad

I'm keeping a close watch on it, Leni. I don't have any of the symptoms that indicate that I need to see a doctor. Asking the pharmacist is a good idea, thanks.

I've done a lot of reading about poison ivy over the past few days. Just in case someone doesn't already know this, you should never burn poison ivy. If someone inhales the smoke, that stuff (oil or whatever it is) can get into your lungs and be very serious.

I checked it out, Jimmy. Reviews are all good :thumb:.

1650002324.jpg
I'm glad you located the powder.
It is very soothing and better than Aveno. Or Alovera. (?sp?)

My Brother had it severely in college when he was at Penn State.
In Between classes, he had one of those Hippie Pop Up Vans, and he would take baths by kneeling in a large basin. He had it coming out between the private area .... and the cheeks (not the face cheeks ).... It dried up the welts, and helped with the itch and burning.

My son got it when her was 12, and we used the Dom Boro on him. It even worked when he had the chicken pox. He was in bed, and Mom made like a paste and daubed it on the itchy sores.
If anyone has shingles, it is a relief for that also. Good to have around the house for insect stings or bites too.
We swear by it!

Have a friend that burned the ivy, and had to be rushed to the hospital with lung infection. He was on oxygen for 6 days.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm glad you located the powder.
It is very soothing and better than Aveno. Or Alovera. (?sp?)

My Brother had it severely in college when he was at Penn State.
In Between classes, he had one of those Hippie Pop Up Vans, and he would take baths by kneeling in a large basin. He had it coming out between the private area .... and the cheeks (not the face cheeks ).... It dried up the welts, and helped with the itch and burning.

My son got it when her was 12, and we used the Dom Boro on him. It even worked when he had the chicken pox. He was in bed, and Mom made like a paste and daubed it on the itchy sores.
If anyone has shingles, it is a relief for that also. Good to have around the house for insect stings or bites too.
We swear by it!

Have a friend that burned the ivy, and had to be rushed to the hospital with lung infection. He was on oxygen for 6 days.

Not even gonna ask how your brother got it on his bi-crackety :D

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
dentist appt., getting a few drafts & visiting a pal, & waitin' on blake. we'll either cook food or order in.

Embryodad

Not even gonna ask how your brother got it on his bi-crackety :D
#1.... Drunk
#2.... pulled off the side of the road to steal some corn to cook it in the dorm.
#3.....While romping in the dark...he had to take a pee.
#4 .... The farmer who was smart, planted the road side first 10 rows as feed corn.
#5..... The Really Smart Farmer...added poison ivy vines among'st the corn.
....... It was a two banger....Surprise... Surprise...

Lesson Learned ???? Yep! ... "Buy the Corn at the farmers stand or the market"

Embryodad

Cleaning the stove exhaust hood and filters.
What a sucky job. Chemical burns on the hands and face. Fumes / coughing / crying tears.
.......potassium hydroxide .....( AKA Lye )... But it works great!

Leni

Taking hubby over to Kaiser to have his legs checked and pressure wrapped again. Tomorrow I to the infusion center at Kaiser for a blood draw. They'll take a pint of blood to reduce the iron in my system.

Embryodad

Taking hubby over to Kaiser to have his legs checked and pressure wrapped again. Tomorrow I to the infusion center at Kaiser for a blood draw. They'll take a pint of blood to reduce the iron in my system.
Good Luck to You and Hubby Leni. Hoping You Both Feel better soon.

Never heard of removing blood to reduce the iron.
I do know, my Grandfather would go buy leeches, and my Gram would put them on is Carotid Arteries to suck out blood, and when they filled their sacks, they would just fall off.
He claims he always felt better doing that like once a year. Old Remedies!!

Leni

I have a rare, very recessive genetic disease called hemochromatosis. It is excessive iron and since most of the bodies iron is in the blood the easiest way to treat it is to remove some.

Toms legs are looking much better. He is a diabetic and has been bleeding fluid from his legs. I'm hoping that next week will be the last treatments.

Ian M.

Leni - Wishing you and your husband the very best of luck with the treatments you are having to undergo. My Grandfather had a diabetic condition that caused him to have painful and ugly-looking ulcers on his shins and I so well remember him having those when I was a very young child. He always had to wrap his legs in pressure bandages to help with the ulcers, too. My heart goes out to you both.

Ian

Leni

Thanks Ian. That's what Tom has, ulcers on his shins. They are just about healed. The nurses are keeping the pressure bandages on for one more week to protect the new skin. After that it is pressure stockings. Now if I could only get him to stop eating cookies. That's the reason I rarely bake.

Just to make things even more interesting, I have a disabled daughter living with us.