Where do you buy your meat?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I buy mine and only one person touches it. I look for local growers first and on when I can't find them then I go to the super markets.

You're very lucky! Even the guy here that grows his own uses a butcher and processing plant. He doesn't own all the equipment it takes to safely butcher, process, and pack a whole cow.....but he does own all the land and all the cows. Still, if you want, he'll take you on a tour and let you see the whole works and meet the guys he uses. Interesting stuff!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I watched a documentary about meat additives. I think it focused on Hormel, but it might have been another company. It's not just salt and water that they are adding. They are also adding "flavoring" to the meat.

I ate a steak from Walmart once, and I liken it to eating a McDonalds burger. Yeah, it sort of tasted like meat, but it certainly didn't taste like steak.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I watched a documentary about meat additives. I think it focused on Hormel, but it might have been another company. It's not just salt and water that they are adding. They are also adding "flavoring" to the meat.

I ate a steak from Walmart once, and I liken it to eating a McDonalds burger. Yeah, it sort of tasted like meat, but it certainly didn't taste like steak.

Matrix question....how do they know what steak tastes like anyway? Maybe they didn't know??? :yum:

I'm no Wally Flag Bearer, but I'll tell you this, it DOES have it's place. I can buy TP there 3-4 dollars cheaper than elsewhere. Do the Sams math which requires you to buy a case, and it's still Wally World priced per roll. It's got it's uses.

Not my fav meat place, but I will use it for lunchmeat and ground beef without a blink.

Steaks on the other hand.....my Publix guy will cut me a fresh ribeye from the primal. Granted....was that primal previously frozen or injected? I don't know. But it is damn good.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Also, it depends on the individual Walmart. I buy meat regularly at the coast from Walmart because it's good quality. Maybe it's the buyer or maybe they get it from local suppliers. I don't know, but I know the quality is good, unlike the Walmart near me in San Antonio.

smoke king

Banned
Usually Kroegers, as its where I grocery shop. They have good and bad meat-choose carefully, and you definately get what you pay for, and their "good stuff" is no bargain IMO. The Fareways around here have good meat, but there aren't too many, and none are convienient to me.

We have a few Butcher shops in town, but they are becoming few and far between with each year that passes (or shoud I say with each Wal-Mart thats built!) my favorite one is called "Stoysich house of sausage" and they have very good...(say it with me!) sausage! Also, at Easter time, they offer by special order, a ham that is wrapped in sourdough-its heaven on a plate-but I don't know whats better, the ham, or the bread underneath the ham that soaks up all that ham........ juice(?) while it bakes!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I don't buy Wal-Mart meat so I don't know but wouldn't the extra water content in the meat cause it to "steam" when you cook it?

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I buy most of my meat from one of our local farm shops - usually in bulk. They butcher it the way I want it. It is mostly their own meat of locally sourced.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I don't buy Wal-Mart meat so I don't know but wouldn't the extra water content in the meat cause it to "steam" when you cook it?

That's a damn good point.....and I have NEVER seen that, nor have I tasted extra salt. I don't know.

I don't care.

I know good meat. It can be had at Wally World, but more often than not, you should go elsewhere to see the difference.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
if walmart is pumping the meat full of water and salt you are PAYING per pound for water and salt and NOT all meat!! sounds like they are just trying make more money and up the profit by adding water and salt and making you pay more!! and that sounds like like sleezy dealing to me!!

I HATE WALMART AND WILL NEVER SHOP THERE!!

sorry people rant over

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
In order of preference, but not always convenient...

One of two butchers that I like
Fairway
that godawful Shoprite
do you know of any good old fashioned butcher shops - meat or poulrty in our area?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
if walmart is pumping the meat full of water and salt you are PAYING per pound for water and salt and NOT all meat!! sounds like they are just trying make more money and up the profit by adding water and salt and making you pay more!! and that sounds like like sleezy dealing to me!!

I HATE WALMART AND WILL NEVER SHOP THERE!!

sorry people rant over
Wal-Mart is no different than other retailers who have added grocery and meats to their lineup of offerings to John Q Pubic. None of them want spoilage (waste = profit loss), so they all use the current technology (chemicals, gasses & salt water) to extend the shelf life of the product, and to maintain the color so it looks fresh regardless of how old it is. Take a peek a the dates on the packages sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, I seriously doubt you'll stop shopping at Wal-Mart. The lure of low price is like a drug to people. You'll have some reason to shop there...everyone does. They were created because the people wanted quality goods at bargain prices, regardless of the cost. Yes, it cost us a textile industry and most of out small manufacturing so we can buy gas grills for $99 and tube sox 6 pairs for $4. We gave it all away to save money, then we complain because nothing is American Made any longer.

I digress.

P.S. Do you realize women were why Wal-Mart was born? Sam Walton started out selling women's underwear at cheap prices, and the women wanted more stuff at cheap prices, so he was able to source it in volume to keep prices low. The rest is history.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Wal-Mart is no different than other retailers who have added grocery and meats to their lineup of offerings to John Q Pubic. None of them want spoilage (waste = profit loss), so they all use the current technology (chemicals, gasses & salt water) to extend the shelf life of the product, and to maintain the color so it looks fresh regardless of how old it is. Take a peek a the dates on the packages sometime, and you'll see what I mean.

Oh, I seriously doubt you'll stop shopping at Wal-Mart. The lure of low price is like a drug to people. You'll have some reason to shop there...everyone does. They were created because the people wanted quality goods at bargain prices, regardless of the cost. Yes, it cost us a textile industry and most of out small manufacturing so we can buy gas grills for $99 and tube sox 6 pairs for $4. We gave it all away to save money, then we complain because nothing is American Made any longer.

I digress.

P.S. Do you realize women were why Wal-Mart was born? Sam Walton started out selling women's underwear at cheap prices, and the women wanted more stuff at cheap prices, so he was able to source it in volume to keep prices low. The rest is history.
You are right i will never STOP shopping at walmart because i have NEVER, NOT once shopped at walmart. and i never will. i don't really don't want to get into the why's its a long story (it's a union based reason and my hub).

chowhound

I'm ASSuming that when you say Walmart meats, you are talking about the meat they offer in the plastic packaging and not say, Perdue chicken thighs or similar? I normally buy my chicken from Walmart because it's name brand and I like the meat. The no name brand the local grocer sells, or even Giant Eagle's chicken parts, seem like a crappier cut with the skin hanging off and pin feathers on the wing pieces. When it comes to chicken I like the packaging to be a recognizeable name like Perdue or Tyson. It just seems like a higher quality product.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I don't have any problem with Walmart, and I shop there myself. Even the Piggly Wiggly has some meats that have solution added, especially chicken and some pork products. I'm pretty sure there is a law that states that the label must say if the meat has added solution, so it's pretty easy to avoid.

I did a side by side comparison of some baby back ribs. I wanted to cook a rack and a half, and the Pig had full racks that were "minimally processed" no solutions added, and half racks with solution added. I cooked them in the smoker at the same time, and the minimally processed ones were far better.

I suppose that the treated meats have a function. I'm sure that they are much more forgiving when it comes to cooking them, just like if you brine a piece of chicken yourself, it will stay juicy even if you slightly overcook it. Personally I like buying regular meat, and taking the time and care to season and cook it properly.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm ASSuming that when you say Walmart meats, you are talking about the meat they offer in the plastic packaging and not say, Perdue chicken thighs or similar?

Yes Chow. Walmart recently started advertising their "Genuine Steak House Steaks" so I decided to check them out when I was there one evening. It was the same song, different verse. These steaks had solution added to them.

buckytom

Grill Master
we buy our meat at one of several supermarkets, depending on how it looks. we're fortunate to have about 8 or 10 supermarkets, as well as several farmers' markets all within a less than 10 minute drive, so if something sucks just once, we don't go back for a long time.

our regulars are the a&p in saddle brook, nj, and the shop rite in lodi, nj. both are average. but i try to load up at costco whenever we make a trip.

i read once that julia child spoke highly of costco meats. that's a good enough endorsement for me.
my neighbors work for costco. the hubby is a butcher, and his wife works in the bakery and cheeses. they say that there is such a high turnover in their foodstuffs that everything is super fresh. it doesn't get a chance to sit around.

chowhound

Thanks, Rob. I've picked up ground pork at Walmart, but can't recall if I ever bought anything else other than poultry products from them.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I buy a lot of my meat at Costco. I buy whole loins, tenderloins, standing ribs, etc and portion it myself into rib eyes, pork chops, filets, etc. I've always been real happy with it.

When I need something immediately, (Costco is 35 miles away) I find you can't beat Publix. Not only is their quality great, they will cut anything you want to order. When I'm planning a party I let them know in advance and they get in for me whatever unusual stuff I need.

For real special stuff, like a true 'prime' rib for xmas, we have a local butcher shop that carries prime meats.

And then there's always the Fresh Market or Whole Foods, but both tend to be a bit pricey.

I guess I'm just a grocery store 'ho' - I have no loyalty to anything other than quality and selection.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
oh i miss Meijers,Kroeger,Pubix,Piggly Wiggly,Albertsons...i was happy with all of their meats

the only meat i would ever buy at Walmart is their premade sausage rolls(jimmy deans,bob evans..lol) or their brisket when u can find a good one

I have a card for The Restaurant Depot. You can get the whole range there from vacuum packed prime down to select whatever you want. You do have to buy in quantity.

i love that place, where else can u buy a 50lb bag of potatoes for $5...lol

GotGarlic

We buy ground meat, Perdue chicken, and prepackaged sausage from Wal-Mart. If I want good pork chops or steak or a roast, I go to one of two local grocery chains - Farm Fresh or Harris Teeter; Farm Fresh also has house-made, specialty sausages that we get sometimes. For seafood, there's a great seafood market close to where I work, so I can pick some up on the way home.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
It is my understanding that Albertson's and Kroger's are the same now but could be wrong. I do know the new stores that Kroger's are building are layed out like Albertson's we had in Florida.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
It is my understanding that Albertson's and Kroger's are the same now but could be wrong. I do know the new stores that Kroger's are building are layed out like Albertson's we had in Florida.

Kroger Co does own many other chains, but Albertson's is not one of them. Kroger is a publicly traded company of its own.

However, Albertson's recently sold many of their buildings around the country in a downsizing, and I believe both Publix and Kroger bought many of them. That may be why you see the resemblance in store layout.

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I stopped in a Restaurant Depot for the first time today. They have three grades, select, choice, and "Superior Angus." I picked up a packer cut brisket and some short ribs, all angus and all will end up on the BGE. I'll try to report back on them, but the prices seemed right. The "Superior Angus" seemed to be a little cheaper than Sam's and Costco's choice yet should be a slightly better grade.

Arthur

I love Costco. I buy meat there when I have backyard cookouts.

I often look for the best deals at Dierbergs, Schnucks, and Save-A-Lot. My Dad just got a job as a butcher at Schnucks, so I've been going to him alot for my meat.