Buttermilk hushpuppies

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The original recipe came from Allrecipes. I've cut it in half and changed technique a bit. The sugar is listed as optional in the original recipe, but do use some as they taste flat if you don't. I use a little less than the 1/8 cup called for as Craig is not fond of really sweet cornbread. I'd use all of it if making just for me though. I also prefer using the buttermilk powder as it keeps in the refrigerator FOREVER! Just add the powder in with the dry stuff as directed and use just shy of the water called for. Using a cookie dough scoop with the spring-loaded lever makes it easy and quick to drop the batter right in the oil. I love those things and have found so many uses for them.

Makes 16-18 hushpuppies

1/2 cup buttermilk (I use 2 Tbsp buttermilk powder kept in the refrigerator and just shy of 1/2 cup water)
1/8 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, room temperature
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 cup white sugar, use a little less if you don't like sweet cornbread
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely minced onion
2 green onions, finely minced

Vegetable oil for frying

Heat oil to around 365 degrees. Heat oven to 200 to keep hushpuppies warm.

Mix the buttermilk powder (if using, if using liquid see below), cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together. Stir in the green onions and onions.

Combine water (if using, otherwise liquid buttermilk) oil and egg, mixing until egg is well broken up.

Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until well combined. Using a Tablespoon scoop held close to the surface of the oil, drop batter into oil and fry until golden brown. You will need to flip them every couple of minutes so that they cook evenly and all the way through. Once golden brown, remove from oil and place on a wire rack to drain. Keep warm in oven until you have fried them all.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Thank you for the recipe and revisions. I keep Saco in my fridge also. I use it in waffles when I don't have whey.