Chicken with Mushrooms

lilylove

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves ( chicken thighs work too)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • .5 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup red wine or chicken broth
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper or to taste
  • Hot cooked spaghetti or pasta of choice

• Brown chicken pieces...in oil and place chicken in crockpot.

. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce,
sliced, mushrooms, diced onion, wine or broth, diced garlic, oregano, thyme
, salt and pepper.
Pour this over the chicken pieces.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken juices run clear.
Serve over your pasta.

For a more intence flavor...saute your onions and garlic while browning your
chicken..

You can also add celery and carrots.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sounds great, Trish. Perhaps some green pepper in there, for me.

Yum!!

Lee

Deelady

oooh I just bought fresh mushroom and chicken breasts!! Anymore recipes using those??....I dont have any tomato sauce :(

Sounds good!!

lilylove

Lee, the recipe I "made" this from had green pepper in it! I took it out since Paul and I don't care for it. lol! Add it back in if you like!!

Dee could you use... a mushroom sauce instead of tomato?

Deelady

mmmmm both ideas sound great but Im short on 1-2 ingredients for those as well.
Hey fryboy....I have a bottle of unopened sherry that I bought about 6 months ago and the other day when I was putting it in my new wine rack I noticed some stuff floating around in it...what can that be? Can sheery go bad?? I thought things like that are suppose to get better with age?? Any ideas?

oops should I move this question?

Deelady

Lee, the recipe I "made" this from had green pepper in it! I took it out since Paul and I don't care for it. lol! Add it back in if you like!!

Dee could you use... a mushroom sauce instead of tomato?

how funny I just used a mushroom sauce up I had from a gift....oh well!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Hey fryboy....I have a bottle of unopened sherry that I bought about 6 months ago and the other day when I was putting it in my new wine rack I noticed some stuff floating around in it...what can that be? Can sheery go bad?? I thought things like that are suppose to get better with age?? Any ideas?

Sherry is a fortified wine meaning they add alcohol to it. This raises the percent alcohol to 20% or so (above wines normal 13%). Back in the day, they added alcohol to help it keep better for long transports on ships. These days, it’s just done because that is the flavor everyone knows.

Sherry shouldn’t go bad for quite some time. Typically, Sherry has a screw top cap…..but does yours have a cork? The particles could be pieces of the cork deteriorating. Also, as a fortified wine, Sherry isn’t one that you would typically “age”, but it does keep for quite a while.

FryBoy

oops should I move this question?
Nah, it's most likely fine. What you're being is probably just a bit of sediment, perhaps some crystalized tartaric acid salts (cream of tartar), which is common in wine and completely harmless. Sometimes I even find grape seeds in wine. One high-end Pinot Noir I buy often had little balls of yeast floating in it. Just pour it in a measuring cup or glass and remove anything that's not liquid.

BTW, once the bottle of sherry is opened, keep it in the refrigerator. It will last for months. It adds a marvelous flavor to things like the chicken with mushrooms I posted.

FryBoy

...Typically, Sherry has a screw top cap…..
That's true for inexpensive bottlings, but not for the good stuff (e.g., Dry Sack), which almost always has a cork closure.

I find that Paul Masson Pale Dry Sherry, about $6 for 750ml, is perfectly fine for cooking -- as well as for a little nip for the cook -- and even it has a cork closure, albeit one with a plastic knob on the end to make it easy to reseal the bottle. No one drinks an entire bottle of the stuff at one sitting.

BTW, screwcaps are now found on some very expensive wines, especially Australian wines.

10743.jpg

Deelady

I just looked at it again and it is indeed a screw top (I had tought it was cork pieces also).
I bought it at an old jewish mom and pop market so I have no idea how long in might have been on thier shelves....
looking at it more closely it does look like sediments, thanks on the tip for storing it in the fridge after opened. I bought it with the purpose of cooking with, glad to know I don't have to throw it away! :)
Thanks you guys!

FryBoy

Leave it upright and the sediment will settle to the bottom. You won't have to deal with it until you get toward the end of the bottle.

Deelady

will do, and thanks again!

Lily.....I just so happen to have bought some of that "bad" stuff today!! lol