What exactly is Laksa?

Shermie

Site Supporter
I was told that it is a kind of soup.

Can anyone please enlighten me on just exactly what this soup is and what goes in it? I heard that chicken thighs are used in it. :eating2:

Ian M.

Morning, Shermie - Could you be referring to "latke", the traditional Jewish potato pancake? Made with shredded potato, onion and seasonings, these are a delicious breakfast item that Fallon makes frequently and serves with either sour cream or occasionally applesauce. Really good.

Ian M. :chef:

Ian M.

thanks, Andy, for this helpful post as to what "Laksa" is. I read the description of the soup on Wikipedia and instantly decided it wouldn't be especially high on my list of yummy things to cook or eat, especially the version made with the ingredient "snake's head" in it! Either that or possibly the ingredient "eel" kind of give me the jitters!

Ian M. :yuk:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what a member posted on another cooking forum below;
He was slicing up chicken thighs to go in it.

"I made Laksa a few weeks ago and when it came to poaching the thigh fillets in the soup I realized my thighs were still frozen. This was however a godsend because I ended up cutting them into thin slices (5/16" / 8mm ) very easily with my 8" Chef knife. This would normally be impossible and dangerous because of the slippery and uneven texture of the fillets. So there you have it ! If your making Laksa, Soup or Stir fries with chicken thigh fillets, freeze them first." :eating2:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's what a member posted on another cooking forum below;
He was slicing up chicken thighs to go in it.

"I made Laksa a few weeks ago and when it came to poaching the thigh fillets in the soup I realized my thighs were still frozen. This was however a godsend because I ended up cutting them into thin slices (5/16" / 8mm ) very easily with my 8" Chef knife. This would normally be impossible and dangerous because of the slippery and uneven texture of the fillets. So there you have it ! If your making Laksa, Soup or Stir fries with chicken thigh fillets, freeze them first."

I visited the link.

From what it looks like, it is made in several different flavors, tastes, colors & ingredients in several different countries.
Not interested in trying it. Just wanted to know what exactly is in it. :eating2:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Morning, Shermie - Could you be referring to "latke", the traditional Jewish potato pancake? Made with shredded potato, onion and seasonings, these are a delicious breakfast item that Fallon makes frequently and serves with either sour cream or occasionally applesauce. Really good.

Ian M. :chef:

Thanks Ian M, but the person mentioned that it IS INDEED a kind of soup.
Good morning to you, also! :eating2:

Last edited: