Italian Creme (Cream) Cake

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I had done some research on Italian Cream Cake for AllenOK. I was curious because the recipe ingredients were not typically Italian and I suspected that it was a Southern recipe. I still haven't found the definitive answer but the research was fun. I share it here.

Here is a recipe that Emeril made:
Italian Cream Cake (From Beth Lott's Mom) Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Further, after a little more research, I am not the only one who wondered about this.
See Italian cream cake - General Chowhounding Topics - Chowhound

This link taught me two things:
Cooks Illustrated Bulletin Board: ITALIAN CREAM CAKE - View Post

It is either a recipe from from the Alps (almost Austrian) near where Italy and the Alps share similarities

or

A food writer said that it is probably an American invention and noted that it was first found in Dallas, Texas post-WWII. However, she was not sure.

The plot thickens. I love learning this kind of history!

Another link and another guess:
eG Forums -> Italian Cream Cake

leading me to a torta mimosa:
Torta mimosa

and

like I guessed a pan di spagna filled with chantilly cream and decorated with cream and fruit. (from Nick Malgieri's Italian Cake book)
She found this one:
http://www.tortalandia.it/Cerimonie_...e/4235de90.jpg

It has also been compared to the pineapple coconut Southern Hummingbird Cake.

Or this with almonds:
Delice Desserts: Italian Cream Cake

For those interested, there are chocolate and orange versions, too.

Here, it is also called Delmonico Cake but it doesn't say why:
Italian Cream Cake (also known as Delmonico Cake) | ajc.com

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Try Cassata Cake - it's a spongy cake, layers soaked in rum, filled with canoli cream, frosted with whipped cream, and topped with toasted almonds...

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love cassata cake but my favorite Italian bakery no longer is in business. It had the spongy layers and whipped cream pastry cream, and strawberries and was covered in beautiful sheets of white chocolate. I am allergic to strawberries now but man, did I love that cake!