old bay seasoning
3/4 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
8-10 med. (1/3 lb.) catfish fillets
3 to 4 TBL butter
3 TBL flour
2 c. half-n-half
1/2 to 1 c. buttermil
Cooked potato wedges or cooked Brown Rice

Preheat broiler. Brown sausage in a heavy skillet.
Remove sausage from skillet and set aside.
In same skillet, melt butter, stir in flour. Cook until flour is browned,
stirring constantly. Gradually add half-n-half and a generous
sprinkling of old bay - keep stirring. Add buttermilk until
gravy is the consistency of thick cream.
Sprinkle catfish w/ old bay seasoning and broil about 3-1/2 min on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
While catfish is cooking, In boiling water seasoned with Old bay, cook shrimp 4-7 minutes or until bright pink.
Add shrimp to the gravy, saving a few for garnish; add sausage and heat through.
Ladle the gravy over the broiled catfish and the side dish. Garnish catfish w/ reserved shrimp.
Serve with a colorful vegetable blend, such as Cauliflower / carrot / broccoli mix.

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
its hard to get catfish around here without me going to catch it myself... any idea what other kind of fish i could use here?

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
its hard to get catfish around here without me going to catch it myself... any idea what other kind of fish i could use here?

I would think a red snapper might be a good substitute or maybe halibut...???

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Tilapia is a reasonable substitute as well as halibut; really, any white fish will work, but the "fatty" characteristics of catfish add a unique dimension to the dish.

Don't you have a Sam's Club in the area bam ?
They sell a reasonable frozen fillet, 'tho it's sliced a little thin.............

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Tilapia is a reasonable substitute as well as halibut; really, any white fish will work, but the "fatty" characteristics of catfish add a unique dimension to the dish.

Don't you have a Sam's Club in the area bam ?
They sell a reasonable frozen fillet, 'tho it's sliced a little thin.............

nope no sams club, no costco...none of those good stores..lol

i did find some tilapia here but it was frozen whole which is a good thing but they didnt even gut them..wth??,,,lol

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Given your proximity Pugger, to the Bayou, you'd get there before me...all the more reason for you to get the juleps ready, I say.

Constance

Lucky, that sounds like a dish I could eat all day long! Do you peel the shrimp before you put them in the gravy?

All the grocery stores around here have catfish, for those who don't have time to throw a line in the pond. But if you can't find it, I think cod would be fine.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Good catch, Constance; I adjusted to reflect that the shrimp should be peeled and deveined

Last edited: