Filetto Di Pomodoro

PanchoHambre

This is a common Pasta dish in my family. It is a quick light (but still very savory) tomato sauce that we often eat in summer when it is too hot for the traditional Ragu.

This recipe comes from my uncle Paulie (rip) who whipped it up one blazing hot summer weekend at the beach house on Long Island. This is what the adults ate while they fed the kids frozen burgers and baloney…They didn’t fool me I always ate with them. This became a staple in our home. It is a great main dish pasta for a light meal or a perfect Primo piatti preceding a steak or chop main course.

Filetto Di Pomodoro

½ Lb. Thin Sliced Prosciutto cut against grain into strips about 1”
1 Can Stewed Roma Tomatoes (preferably San Marzano) crushed by hand
1 Handful of Fresh Basil Leaves chopped
1 Handful of Parsley (Italian Flat Leaf) chopped
1 Medium Onion chopped
Olive Oil
S&P
Red Wine (just a dash - optional)
Parmigano or Romano cheese grated

1 lb Pasta (Penne or similar)

Cover bottom of large skillet or sauté pan with olive oil

Add Prosciutto and brown on med/low heat (while browning Prosciutto start water for pasta)

Add Onion to pan and cook until softened and translucent stirring occasionally (if using wine add a dash in with the onions)

Add Tomatoes, Basil, Parsley, S&P to taste (Prosciutto is salty so you should need little or no Salt)

(about the time you add Tomatoes to the pan the Pasta water should be ready)

Allow sauce to simmer for about 20 min until thickened a bit

When Pasta is ready remove and drain.

Transfer cooked Pasta to a large bowl and ladle in one scoop of the sauce and mix into pasta.

Serve in shallow bowl top with more sauce and sprinkle with Cheese.

Serve w crusty Bread to mop up any of the sauce that the Pasta misses

[FONT=&quot]
P1010014.jpg
P1010015.jpg

P1010016.jpg
P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

[/FONT]
Some notes:

Because there are few ingredients and cooking time is short San Marzano tomatoes are ideal but other will do it is important to crush whole by hand however or the texture will be wrong.

Because you are cooking the Prosciutto you can use a less expensive domestic variety if desired (I used San Daniele but at $21 lb. It is expensive)

I use a lot of herbs because I like the freshness they add to the sauce you can reduce to tatste.

The Prosciutto adds a lot of salt and flavor so be sparing with any additional S&P

This recipe is for one lb of pasta. If less is needed the sauce freezes well.

[FONT=&quot]My pic shows a flat plate but a shallow pasta bowl is ideal for serving[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

.[/FONT]

buckytom

Grill Master
that's the ticket, pancho. great recipe! especially your tips, like hand crushing.

a perfect late summer dinner, when the tomatoes are ripe on the vine, and the basil bushes are leaning over from weight.

man, san danielle is the "cheaper" stuff here, around $11/lb. the di parma is $18/lb.

Constance

There is no proscuitto in this small town. How would it taste made with a good bacon or ham? Or would that be a sacrilege?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
There is no proscuitto in this small town. How would it taste made with a good bacon or ham? Or would that be a sacrilege?

this recipe looks great...

Constance you could add bacon to it but it will add a little smokey flavor to it... a substitution if you can find it is called salt pork, just like bacon but not smoked... it is usually in the preserved meat section

PanchoHambre

man, san danielle is the "cheaper" stuff here, around $11/lb. the di parma is $18/lb.

LOL... well I went to Wegman's who's prices are inflated to say the least. The Parma was actually a buck cheaper than the S.D. go figure. I chose the one that looked better. At least the kid knew how to slice it and wrap it. Nothing makes me more annoyed than when they treat the stuff like it was baloney.

No such thing as sacrilidge if it is tasty... I was thinking ham would work well. It would change the taste but the texture would be similar and I think it would still taste really good.

With bacon I would skip the olive oil and be careful not to get it too crispy. Nothing is ever bad with bacon!

buckytom

Grill Master
connie, any kind of bacon or cured pork would work.

that's part of the beauty of italian cooking. a few simple ingredients, in balance, that are interchangeable within their category.