Butternut Squash & Potato Pancakes

LS's post re butternut squash reminded me of this recipe I saved from the Vegetarian Times, to put on the short to-do list.

Serving Size : 20

2 cups butternut squash -- peeled and grated (1 lb. squash)
2 cups potato -- grated (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup red onion -- grated ( 1 medium)
2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1 large egg -- beaten
3 Tbs. flour -- unbleached white
Salt and ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Place squash, potatoes and onion into a colander. Add 2 teaspoons salt, mix and let drain over sink, about 15 minutes. Press vegetables several times to extract water.

Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl. Add garlic, sage, nutmeg and egg and mix thoroughly. Add flour and season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Heat about 1/8-inch oil in heavy-bottomed large skillet. Using a heaping tablespoon, drop pancakes into oil; press down with a spatula to flatten and ensure even cooking. Cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove to platter and keep warm. Cook remaining batter adding more oil to pan when necessary.

"http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7711"

LS's post re butternut squash reminded me of this recipe I saved from the Vegetarian Times, to put on the short to-do list.

Serving Size : 20

2 cups butternut squash -- peeled and grated (1 lb. squash)
2 cups potato -- grated (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup red onion -- grated ( 1 medium)
2 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
1 large egg -- beaten
3 Tbs. flour -- unbleached white
Salt and ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Place squash, potatoes and onion into a colander. Add 2 teaspoons salt, mix and let drain over sink, about 15 minutes. Press vegetables several times to extract water.

Transfer vegetables to a medium bowl. Add garlic, sage, nutmeg and egg and mix thoroughly. Add flour and season with salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.

Heat about 1/8-inch oil in heavy-bottomed large skillet. Using a heaping tablespoon, drop pancakes into oil; press down with a spatula to flatten and ensure even cooking. Cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove to platter and keep warm. Cook remaining batter adding more oil to pan when necessary.

"http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/7711"[/QUOTE]

Wanted to add, 2 tsp salt was too much imo, & I used a yellow onion.

pic from vegetarian times
butternut squash pancakes.jpg