Red lentils... green lentils

vyapti

Their flavor is somewhat similar, but their color and texture are very different. Green lentils are a fairly hearty lentil, meaning that they will hold their shape well. Red lentils are just the opposite. It would be difficult to cook red lentils in a way that they hold their shape, even more than brown lentils.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I love lentils mixed with rice and various seasonings/vegetables. We have good friends who regularly make a lentil loaf that is really very good. I'll bet vyapti has a few good recipes up his sleeve.

vyapti

Red lentils are great for thickening soup, as they'll fall apart after a long simmer. I also like them for backpacking food. I grind them up with spices and dried mushrooms for a hearty, light weight gruel. Cooked with some brown rice, they make a good base for veggie burgers, maybe like this recipe. One of my favorite ways to use red lentils is in pasta sauce. It makes for a thick, earthy sauce and the kids don't even know they're eating lentils. The dosas don't use many, but they're great too.

Garden Ragu:

Moong Dosas: