Baba ganoush

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I always have a million Ichiban eggplants in the summer, and one of my favorite things to make is baba ganoush.

I use Frugal Gourmet's recipe as a base (from "Our Immigrant Ancestors"), but it's not an exact science - I vary the amounts based on the number of eggplants I have, and to taste.

I like it chunky, without the tahini overpowering the eggplant. You will see others that are a much smoother spread, more of a tan color than my greenish color.

The finished dip is delicious, but not very colorful or eye-pleasing. I thought I took a picture of the dip on the plate with the garnishes, but I can't find it. It DID look prettier when I served it! :lol:

Lee

Based on Frugal Gourmet's Lebanese Baba Ghanoush

1 large eggplant, unpeeled, about 1 pound
1 large clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 T tahini (sesame paste)
Juice of 1/2 lemon or to taste
Salt to taste

Garnishes:
3 T olive oil
Pita bread cut into wedges
Chopped parsley

Using a fork, poke the eggplant(s) at least a dozen times. Place on a baking sheet and broil or roast eggplants, turning frequently, until they are browned all over and is VERRRRRY mushy to the touch.

Cool for a few minutes, the cut the eggplant in half lengthwise, and scoop out the cooked flesh, discarding the peel. In a bowl, mash the eggplant with the remaining ingredients (except garnishes), tasting frequently. Don't use a food processor, since you don't want too smooth of a paste.

Serve with olive oil and parsley sprinkled over the top, along with pita wedges for dippers.

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
That's something I would like to try. I like eggplant in a casserole but have never had it as a dip. Thanks for the recipe. :flowers:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Attachments

• eggplant%201.JPG
    eggplant%201.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 1,016
  • eggplant%202.JPG
    eggplant%202.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,004
  • eggplant%203.JPG