Freezing Fresh Bay Leaves

Can it be done?

I've just used up my insipid jar of dried bay leaves, & saw a lovely packet of fresh ones at the supermarket for $2 - less than the insipid dried ones cost me.

Until I manage to buy myself a bay plant, do you think I could buy the fresh ones & freeze them? Or would the texture disintegrate during use? I wouldn't want to toss one into a stew or soup & have it crumble or dissolve.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have no experience with fresh bay leaves, Breezy.

I'd like to try a few sometime!

Lee

Lee - all of the supermarkets around here sell fresh bay leaves in those plastic "clam shells" in the produce department. I'm sure a market around your way does as well.

I'd still like to grow my own, but the house is already overstuffed with stuff. I have a cactus/succulent that's almost 7 feet high; same for a ficus. And of course everyone wants the best full-sun positions - lol!

The supermarket "clamshells" look to contain between 8-10 or more leaves, which I obviously wouldn't be using in a timely fashion, thus thinking about the freezing idea. Don't really want to dry them.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, alrighty then!

Thank you both, Breezy and VB!

Lee

GotGarlic

I have a 15-foot tall bay tree in my herb garden. To be honest, the fresh leaves have less flavor and aroma than dried. As the water evaporates when they dry, the flavor becomes more concentrated. I cut branches of it and keep it in a basket in the kitchen.

You can certainly freeze it, but imo, bay is one of those (few) herbs, like oregano, that is better dried than fresh.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a 15-foot tall bay tree in my herb garden. To be honest, the fresh leaves have less flavor and aroma than dried. As the water evaporates when they dry, the flavor becomes more concentrated. I cut branches of it and keep it in a basket in the kitchen.

You can certainly freeze it, but imo, bay is one of those (few) herbs, like oregano, that is better dried than fresh.

I tend to agree also that bay leaves and oregano are better dried than fresh or any other method unless you have a whole lot of it. Basil, parsley are just a couple of the aromatics that I think is much better fresh than any other way but dried works well when if they aren't in season. I've also tried basil frozen but found the flavor somewhat lacking. Most herbs/spices work better dried if not fresh and in abundance over any freezing methods I've seen.