Hey gang, Going fishing much?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i live in trout country, you have to filet them right or they will always taste fishy IMHO, gotta make sure there is no belly fat on them at all and take out the lateral line, it works for me as i dont like that fishy taste at all

No problem. I'll take the SPAM over trout every day. Trout is the one fish I just can't seem to find a recipe that will kill its damn fishy taste. SPAM, on the other hand, is a very versatile food, and is always in my camp kitchen.

P1000869.jpg

Mr. Green Jeans

I agree Bam, larger trout or steelhead are also best served brined and smoked. My fav trout to eat just gutted and pan fried with butter and garlic is a brookie. The bigens are fun to catch, the lil ones are eatin stuff.

AllenOK

Crewsk, I think your daughter caught herself what we here in OK call a "rock bass". In some areas they may be called a "warmouth". They are scrappers, that's for sure. I caught two decent ones last year, and a few small ones.

Now, I've already made a few posts that detailed my fishing exploits so far this year. Let me bring you all up to speed:

In Feb and early March, I was actively chasing crappie at the small lake that I live near. I had taken my kids out fishing a couple of times. I was in the process of gearing up for Catfish.

Then, two weeks ago, we had a blizzard come through. It really messed up the fishing. Weather patterns have been hot/cold/hot/cold, bouncing around all over the place, unlike the steady warming trend in Feb and March. I haven't caught a fish since the blizzard.

Here's where I stand now. (Glancing over to see if PeppA is watching....) She don't know it, but I bought another surf rod a few weeks ago. I caught a 12' Ugly Stick casting rod at BPS. I've been putting my Penn 209 on that thing. Hopefully, in a month or so of constant practice, I'll start finally getting some good distance with it. I've got an Eagle Claw "CatClaw" 8' rod that I put a BPS CatMaxx baitcaster on. Both baitcasters are rigged with 20 lb test Cajun Red Line backing, then about 100 - 125 yds of 65 lb test PowerPro braid in red. I want to use 40 - 50 lb test Cajun for leader material, but am having a hard time finding any locally.

I have a 12' spinning surf rod (pictured in The Man Thread) that I might still use this year. Not sure, as I'm slowly switching over to baitcasters. I also have an 8' spinning rod/reel outfit that I used for catfish last year.

I still plan on using my 7' graphite UL spinning rig for amusement with bluegill while fishing at my local lake.

I've been using PeppA's hot pink 5' UL spinning outfit for crappie inside the crappie dock. It's a small enclosed thing, and a 7' pole, while usable, is a little big, especially when other folks are there.

I've got an older Shimano Citica that a friend gave me. I've got it on an Ugly Stick pole, and am hoping to use it for some bass fishing this summer. I also have a different brand baitcaster in the garage that doesn't have a pole, nor is it strung up.

I want to buy a boat. PeppA has shot down one that I looked at, on the grounds that it wasn't safe. Since I have to use her truck to pull a boat, she told me to find my own way to tow it home, and drove off. One of my co-workers suggested telling PeppA where she could stuff her truck, buy myself a canoe, and put it on top of my car. I've been toying with that idea for a week now. I've also started thinking about possibly getting one of those fishing kayaks. Either one of those two options would open up a whole lot more of the lake I live near to me for fishing (it's a small lake), as well as three, maybe four, areas that are not accessible to motor boats, as well as the stream that the lake is one, both above and below the lake. There's another small lake about 12 miles from here with good areas for a canoe or kayak. I have experience with a canoe, but a fishing kayak would be completely new to me.

chowhound

The rock bass here look like green blue gills with a red spot behind the eye.
You guys are making me want to get into fishing again. That and the bike ride I took yesterday. I went to place called Eaton Resservoir. So peaceful. A few people fishing from shore, a few boats out (only electric trolling morors allowed). I was watching the "action" and kicking myself in the ass for selling all my fishing stuff years ago. No fly fishing stuff, but about 10 poles and a tackle box worth more than my set of King Cobra golf clubs. I could fish for anything on the lake or in a stream with that tackle box... sniff... Yeah, I might have to take up fishing again.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The rock bass here look like green blue gills with a red spot behind the eye.
You guys are making me want to get into fishing again. That and the bike ride I took yesterday. I went to place called Eaton Resservoir. So peaceful. A few people fishing from shore, a few boats out (only electric trolling morors allowed). I was watching the "action" and kicking myself in the ass for selling all my fishing stuff years ago. No fly fishing stuff, but about 10 poles and a tackle box worth more than my set of King Cobra golf clubs. I could fish for anything on the lake or in a stream with that tackle box... sniff... Yeah, I might have to take up fishing again.
No need to cry over sold gear, just go out and buy some new stuff. There are some really neat enhancements to the the gear today, even when compared to just 5 years ago. Have fun shopping.

Mr. Green Jeans

No need to cry over sold gear, just go out and buy some new stuff. There are some really neat enhancements to the the gear today, even when compared to just 5 years ago. Have fun shopping.

Yeah like line! I spooled up some 8# test fire line on my spinning reel. It is amazing how far I can cast an 1/8 oz. tube jig and the sensitivity because of no stretch.

Lefty

Yank
I am lucky enough to live 20 minutes from LL Bean flagship store. I love going in there for my fishing, yaking & hiking gear. With my brothers discount (33%) I can actually afford it. ;)

chowhound

Yeah... it's just that Erie lost its fishing store. Such a shame, too. It was nice to be able to go in and see all the stuff first hand and talk to guys who knew their stuff. I picked up some nice used boat poles in there when I was just getting my feet wet. Now I'm destined to looking for internet knowledge to get up to speed again. Which isn't necessarily bad, but not like having a personable store to walk into.

smoke king

Banned
I haven't fished since I was a teenager, but Grandson Sammy is itching to give it a try so I guess I'll have to re-learn!

Lefty

Yank
Yeah... it's just that Erie lost its fishing store. Such a shame, too. It was nice to be able to go in and see all the stuff first hand and talk to guys who knew their stuff. I picked up some nice used boat poles in there when I was just getting my feet wet. Now I'm destined to looking for internet knowledge to get up to speed again. Which isn't necessarily bad, but not like having a personable store to walk into.
Yes I agree having a nice personal store is a great thing, the box stores have no one to answer questions when if you need help. I have helped and been helped more by customers than the hired help at Wally World.

crewsk

We're going fishing again tonight when I get off work. Hubby & the kids are going to head to the lake this afternoon & I'll meet them there. I can't wait!!!!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah like line! I spooled up some 8# test fire line on my spinning reel. It is amazing how far I can cast an 1/8 oz. tube jig and the sensitivity because of no stretch.

Most of the fishing guides (and I) have switched to braided line because of it. It costs more initially but is cheap in the long run.

Buzz

AllenOK

Like I said, I've got 65 lb test braid on my two big catfish rigs. The spinning reel that I use for my first surf rod has 50 lb test braid on it. My main panfish rig, the 7' UL spinning rig, has 10 lb test braid on it. I can cast quite a ways with that outfit!

I've got a 5 gallon bucket that I put an aerator into for shad when I go catfishing. I've got a 5' radius cast net to catch shad in. Once they move within range of the bank, I'll be in business again for cats. I also have most of the parts needed to make a self-contained bait tank out of a cooler. Of course, unless you have a boat, that kind of thing isn't really needed.

I did do some looking at kayaks today, some at Academy, and some at a marine dealer here in Tulsa. Academy has a nice 14 or 16' yak, three built-in rod holders, lots of storage, and 350 lb of displacement. I'm around 220, so this gives me over 100 lbs of wiggle room as far as gear. It costs $379.99, which is a hundred less than the one I looked at yesterday. BPS has a few, bigger, more displacement, but they also cost double what I'm looking at right now.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

For a short drive down 79 you can get to the Gander Mountain store.

From their website, www.gandermountain.com

Erie Gander Mountain is located at 2088 Interchange Road, just East of I-79 at Kearsarge Street in the Mill Creek Mall Pavallion. The store opened for business on August 22nd, 2000.

I shop at our Gander all the time. Nice people and everyone in their respective departments knows their stuff.