"I hate the expression ....."

Deelady

"I don't mean to be rude but......"

IF you know its rude, then don't say it! Simple as that.

and I can't stand when people say " Do you know what I mean?" About a dozen times within one conversation!! Do I look that confused???

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Love the signature Dee!

I hate it when people say they gave 110%. How can you possibly give more than 100%?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Love the signature Dee!

I hate it when people say they gave 110%. How can you possibly give more than 100%?

50% on Monday
50% on Tuesday
10% on Wednesday

Took the rest of the week off! :yum:

homecook

Been there, done that.

I've been guilty of this myself but I hate it when someone says it to me. lol

Lefty

Yank
"My computer did a funny thing" quickly followed by "would you please take a look at it?" Has ended more enjoyable evenings at friends houses than I can count. The rest of the evening is spent in front of a computer while the party goes on without you.

In the end analysis, nothing a computer does is funny.

I am about to buy this tee shirt.
no_i_wont_fix_your_computer_tshirt-p235334024477541149trlf_400.jpg

I am getting tired of fixing puters with so much malware/adware/spyware & viruses, it is easier to rebuild the box from scratch. I did one the other day that took 12 minutes just to boot. Then by the time I got into the control panel it crashed. Ugh.

buckytom

Grill Master
"My computer did a funny thing" quickly followed by "would you please take a look at it?" Has ended more enjoyable evenings at friends houses than I can count. The rest of the evening is spent in front of a computer while the party goes on without you.

In the end analysis, nothing a computer does is funny.

oh man, andy. most phone calls that i have to respond to start with, "my computer is broken".
when asked to be more descriptive, they follow with," it doesn't work."

often, i then have to ask what computer are they talking about, and what's it doing or not doing.

it's like pulling teeth.

buckytom

Grill Master
"I don't mean to be rude but......"

IF you know its rude, then don't say it! Simple as that.

i have to say, dee, that i've used that phrase. you can't always have nice conversations, and sometimes you need to say something unpleasant but wish to convey that it's meant for good intentions, albeit ugly.

buckytom

Grill Master
yes, we get that all the time, andy. and they never wait until we get there to see it.

qsis, close the app and run your own virus and root-kit scanner. by clivcking ok to the virus, you've just launched it into your system.

High Cheese

Saucier
qsis, close the app and run your own virus and root-kit scanner. by clivcking ok to the virus, you've just launched it into your system.

Basically, alot of those popups are getting pretty authentic looking. Once you click "ok", you just opened Pandoras Box. When in doubt, do what BT said and run your own antivirus software.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
To get back on topic...

From my Mother's cute/annoying sayings...

"Wish in one hand...shit in the other...put them together,,,wudda ya get?"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I've got a new one: "iconic"

I'll bet I hear that 3 times a day on TV. It's become like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Lee

To get back on topic...

From my Mother's cute/annoying sayings...

"Wish in one hand...shit in the other...put them together,,,wudda ya get?"

LOL, joe. I've never heard that one.

Mostly, the irritating things parents say, like:

Because I'm your Mother, & I said so.

Do I look like I'm made of money!

I'll tell you when you're older.

And teachers...

When a kid made a face - Your face is going to freeze like that.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My mother's was "cut off your nose to spite your face".

My grandmother's I can't spell and was in Hungarian. The poor translation of it is something like "your mother's breasts". She would say this every time my brother or I pissed her off. She gave me the translation when I was about 17 years old. The words are burned into my brain to this day, about the only Hungarian phrase I ever heard her use even when she spoke to her mother. Her mother came her from Hungary and insisted on speaking English only.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I've got a new one: "iconic"

I'll bet I hear that 3 times a day on TV. It's become like fingernails on a chalkboard!

Lee

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
JoeV - my mom said that a little differently. The punch line was see which one gets full first.

K

Kimchee

You are right, BUT.....
or
I agree, BUT.....

That BUT totally negates whatever came before it, and is REALLY
just a nice sounding way to say "YOU ARE WRONG".

mhend

"My Bad."

My husband says it and it absolutely drives me to the point of insanity. LOL! Of course, I haven't told him that. :)

"Like"

I have LIKE ten of those. OR... It's LIKE, really hot outside.

My son and his friends say this word all the time. It makes my skin crawl. :angry::angry::angry:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
New and improved.

If it's new, there is nothing before it to be improved on. If it's improved, it has existed before and can't be new. :pat:

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, that reminds me of places that sell medium and large portions. you have to have a small and a large first in order to have a medium.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I may step on some toes here, but I am really annoyed by "to die for." Really? I guess I am a little sensitive because we just lost a dear friend, but when one of my dinner guests last night said that my lemon sour cream bundt cake was "to die for" it just rubbed me the wrong way.

buckytom

Grill Master
I may step on some toes here, but I am really annoyed by "to die for." Really? I guess I am a little sensitive because we just lost a dear friend, but when one of my dinner guests last night said that my lemon sour cream bundt cake was "to die for" it just rubbed me the wrong way.

:clap: it's not just you, karen. your family or your country are to die for; the rest is just food.