The Horror - Using the right tool for the job.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Been thinking about the right tools for the job here lately. In the cornbread thread, CI seems to be the popular way to do it (and it’s my preferred method).

Last night when I was making Sass’s Potato Rounds, I needed to cook a bunch of bacon, so I grabbed my biggest skillet to get the job done more quickly (holds more, so done faster right). The skillet is Stainless Steel.

I don’t know if you’ve ever tried making bacon in stainless steel, but it blows. I was not happy. It stuck horribly, the “fond” blackened and bordered on burning. I should have stuck with CI. It seems that some “shortcuts” aren’t short at all!

So, share your personal horror stories and life lessons about the right tool for the job.

Ever try searing a steak in SS, used a paring knife to chop tomatoes, placed a glass measuring cup on an electric eye to bowl water, used non-stick spray in a Teflon pan? Got any stories and life lessons about what works really well for you…..and what might not work so well?

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I cook bacon in SS all the time. The key is to not cook it on too high of a temperature. There's no hurry Keltin...you're from the south...remember? :wink:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I cook bacon in SS all the time. The key is to not cook it on too high of a temperature. There's no hurry Keltin...you're from the south...remember? :wink:

Could've been my problem. I did have the heat a bit high. Its the same heat I use in CI.......guess I don't use my SS enough! I remember a time when I was entrhraled with SS and thought CI was archaic.

Then I got some Griswold and Lodge pans and learned how awesome they are. Odd in this day and age that old school is as good or better than state of the art.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't care for SS for bacon or any kind of meat frying such as a pan fried steak, prefer CI for this. I only have 2 none stick fry pans that never get the heat higher than middle setting and usually 4. It is fine for eggs but little else and absolutely useless for frying. SS is great for many things and I use it for browning the out sides of meats before moving it to the oven or what ever else is needed. I love SS stock pots for making pasta but prefer enameled CI for making soups, tomato sauces and pot roasts etc. I despise aluminium unless lined with SS and cooper's costs are off the charts for good stuff beside being a pain to keep looking good. Beside neither aluminium or cooper bottom pans will work with my induction stove top.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Are you talking about cooking spray in a Teflon pan? I do that all the time...

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
First, I do my bacon in the oven, on a cookie sheet. Learned that in the Air Force.

Next. I have a black anodized skillet. It is guaranteed to make ANYTHING that you cook in it stick. Every so often, I give it another chance. You, still does it.

Andy

FryBoy

I also cook bacon in a stainless pan -- sometimes. As Mama said, the trick is to keep the heat relatively low. I have also pan broiled meat in SS successfully. But SS is a pain to clean, so I prefer nonstick for bacon. Does a good job, easier to clean than either SS or CI. But steaks and chops go in IC if it's too cold or wet or dark to use the grill.

And I can chop a tomato with anything from a paring knife to a cleaver. I prefer a Petty, but the results are about the same.

It's not the gun, it's the gunner -- but having the right weapon sure helps.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I also cook bacon in a stainless pan -- sometimes. As Mama said, the trick is to keep the heat relatively low. I have also pan broiled meat in SS successfully. But SS is a pain to clean, so I prefer nonstick for bacon. Does a good job, easier to clean than either SS or CI. But steaks and chops go in IC if it's too cold or wet or dark to use the grill.

And I can chop a tomato with anything from a paring knife to a cleaver. I prefer a Petty, but the results are about the same.

I didn't know that was possible!! :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Are you talking about cooking spray in a Teflon pan? I do that all the time...

Is it regular Teflon? I read somewhere that you aren’t supposed to use cooking spray with Teflon pans because the lecithin in the spray interacts with the Teflon.

And I found out the hard way that it’s true. I have a small Teflon pan I use just for making fried eggs. Great little pan for that job, but repeated use of the cooking spray has caused a horrendous sticky buildup that will not come off. This buildup has ruined the non-stick Teflon coating, and even with more cooking spray, things now stick. But, it was a cheap little pan, so it’s about time to buy another.

A better thing to do is get an oil spritzer which is what I’m planning on doing when I get my next Teflon egg pan.

Does anyone have a can of cooking spray handy right now? If so, can you read the back of the can? What does it say it is safe to use on? I think it might say to not use on non-stick pans?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ever cook bacon on the grill (just the slices, not wrapped on something)? Now that is fun and really good eats!

chowhound

Is it regular Teflon? I read somewhere that you aren’t supposed to use cooking spray with Teflon pans because the lecithin in the spray interacts with the Teflon.

And I found out the hard way that it’s true. I have a small Teflon pan I use just for making fried eggs. Great little pan for that job, but repeated use of the cooking spray has caused a horrendous sticky buildup that will not come off. This buildup has ruined the non-stick Teflon coating, and even with more cooking spray, things now stick. But, it was a cheap little pan, so it’s about time to buy another.

A better thing to do is get an oil spritzer which is what I’m planning on doing when I get my next Teflon egg pan.

Does anyone have a can of cooking spray handy right now? If so, can you read the back of the can? What does it say it is safe to use on? I think it might say to not use on non-stick pans?

This is what I have http://www.crisco.com/Products/Details.aspx?groupID=16&prodID=313
It doesn't say on the can anywhere (nor their website) not to use it in non-stick items, so I called..... they said to check with the pan manufacturer. So me thinks it's not a matter of safety, but rather one of ruining the pan, which they probably don't care about.

GotGarlic

The trick to cleaning a SS pan is to either make a pan sauce and use the fond (browned bits on the bottom of the pan) in the sauce, or put a half-inch or so of water in the pan, bring it to a boil, and scrape with a wooden spatula, as if you're making a pan sauce. Most of the stuff comes right up, and the rest is easily cleaned off with a soapy sponge. :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never used a spray oil anywhere except on garage doors like WD40 or white grease. I've really never cared for the stuff but others do swear by it. As I said I have 2 none stick Scan Pan's both fry pans and I might use a bit of butter or oil though rarely. Mine are now over a year old and still going strong but again the biggest problem with non stick pans is the heat which will break down the finish over time. I only use mine for low heat cooking such mostly eggs and occasionally bacon. I cook my bacon at the same heat on my stove as eggs which gives me a really crisp bacon which is about 4. As for stainless steel mine clean up rather easily but then I don't let it sit on the stove and go cold but put it into hot water as soon as I take it off the stove and empty it. I also might deglaze it if anything is stuck to it with some stock, wine or even water. After dinner I come back with some Bar Keepers Friend and it is good to go. I also never put my pots/pans or knives in the dishwasher only glass ware and silver ware goes in there as far as I'm concerned.

chowhound

The trick to cleaning a SS pan is to either make a pan sauce and use the fond (browned bits on the bottom of the pan) in the sauce, or put a half-inch or so of water in the pan, bring it to a boil, and scrape with a wooden spatula, as if you're making a pan sauce. Most of the stuff comes right up, and the rest is easily cleaned off with a soapy sponge. :)

I gotta disagree with that to a point.
When I tried searing and baking a steak in a SS pan, it was the sides that were a PITA to clean. Sure, I could deglaze the bottom of the pan when I made my sauce, but I'll never use SS again because of the splatter on the sides. Of course, I was just playin' around... I much prefer my steaks grilled. No pan at all then :wink: I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about searing and baking. You definitely want to use CI.

chowhound

Joe, cooking spray can be your friend if you bake bread at all. I use it when I cover the dough with plastic wrap so it doesn't stick. One can lasts me years....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ah and I don't bake perhaps why I see no advantage to it. I much prefer the free wheeling world of recipes and never was good with the exacting formulas of baking. About the only thing I do that is close is to mixing dough is fresh pasta. Now I had an uncle that owned a rather large bakery for years, now owned by his son that used nothing but butter, lard or oil the old fashion way.

Tickle Me Elmo

One of the handiest uses for Pam, etc. in our house is to help things slip out of measuring cups. Spray the cup before measuring thick syrups, molasses, honey, chocolate syrup, peanut butter and such. The stuff just slides right out and leaves very little of itself in the measuring cup.

leolady

I can't stand the taste/after taste of Pam. It gives me a headache.

I use an lightly oiled piece of plastic wrap instead.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter

That's what I do too!:thumb: Cleans up easy!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with both of you GotGarllic and Mama never had a problem cleaning it at all. Really love the stuff for that, now aluminum or copper never mind. :agree:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Don't own any of either. SS, hard anodized and cast iron is all I use....except for my pressure cooker which is aluminum.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Nope no aluminium and only one small copper bowl I use for beating egg whites and nothing else. My scan pans are aluminium bottomed but will be replacing those with the new induction ready CTX scan pans when they come out later this month. Even my pressure cooker is induction ready so also magnetic stainless exterior but all of my SS stuff is mult clad designs.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Seems a lot of people bake their bacon. Maybe we need a poll on this one!

Does it get crispy like in a pan?

Renfro Jones

My person choice for bacon is a teflon FP. I have it down to an art. Just under med heat, wait until it just starts to get a little crispy then remove bacon an place on paper towels while grease is still sizzling, It actually finishes cooking itself on the paper towels. I really love bacon.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter

Yeah, I read the package for my pan and it basically says the same thing, but it also says any oil will affect the performance of the pan too. Basically it says not to use anything which will never work for me.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
foil lined cookie sheet
bake @ 425 for 20 min
no fuss, no watch, minimum cleanup
I keep hearing about this way of making bacon but I've never tried it. It does seem much simpler and less dangerous. Does it splatter a lot of grease around the inside of the oven?