Keltin's Beef Stew

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s how I make Beef Stew.

Beef Stew

Ingredients

2 lbs stew meat
5 medium potatoes, peeled and coarse cut (3/4" chunks)
5 whole carrots, peeled and cut into medallions (rounds)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 can yellow corn (drained)
1 can sweet peas (drained)
8 large mushrooms, sliced
2 cans crushed/diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
2 cans beef broth
4 cups water
1/2 cup flour (for dredging)
2 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp oil

Procedure

Dredge the stew meat in the flour until well coated. Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Brown the meat on all sides. Once things begin sticking to the bottom of the pot, add 1 can of the tomatoes to deglaze the pot. Once deglazed, add the other can of tomatoes.

Now, add the beef broth, bay leaves, and enough water to cover the meat with 2-3 inches of liquid. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1.5 hours.

Add carrots and simmer for 1 hour more.

Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT the peas. Simmer until potatoes are tender – about 35 to 45 minutes. Once potatoes are tender, add peas and simmer for 15 minutes more to thoroughly heat the peas. I like to serve this in bowls over white rice.

Notes

You can use just about any beef. I actually don’t recommend buying pre-cut stew meat as it is more expensive since they charge you for the labor. Instead, find a nice beef roast and then cut it up your self. You’ll save money and can control the type of beef you use in your stew.

About the tomatoes – you can sub in tomato sauce if you like. In this recipe, you save the peas for last since they are delicate and don’t stand up well to long cook times. Conversely, I like to add the carrots early since they take a bit of cooking to become tender.

The end result should be a thick and dark drown stew. If it isn’t looking thick enough when you add the potatoes and other veggies, then leave the lid off and turn up the heat to aid in evaporation and thickening of the stock.

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's close to how I make it, too, Keltin.

I like that you don't use Worcestershire sauce in yours - neither do I. I like W. sauce on some things, but it makes a beef stew taste weird to me.

Lee

chowhound

I use worcestershire sauce less and less. It can be a bit overbearing IMO. A small bottle lasts me quite a while. I've gotta learn me to make Bloody Marys (lol).

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That's close to how I make it, too, Keltin.

I like that you don't use Worcestershire sauce in yours - neither do I. I like W. sauce on some things, but it makes a beef stew taste weird to me.

Lee

:agree: W. Sauce definitely has it's place, but I don't use it in stew! :thumb:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I must be way in the minority here, LOL. I love the W. in beef stews, and a lot of other things. I go thru a bottle pretty quickly too these days, along with the liquid smoke bottles.
But, don't worry when I try someone else's recipe I follow their ingredients and instructions and don't play with it... well... not the first time around anyway! LOL.

Thanks for the recipe!

leolady

I use W.S. too, but just a tad. I also use chicken stock rather than beef. It just tastes better to me.

Rob Babcock

Were peeking in my kitchen window? I just made stew yesterday!:yum: Mine's pretty simple; I start 3 lbs cubed beef (seasoned w/ S&P) frying in an 3 qt dutch oven in a couple TBSP olive oil and 4 cloves minced garlic, and then I add 1/2 C Cabernet Sauvigonon. Once I've got it browned a bit I fill it with water up to about 1" from the top. I bring it just to a boil then back it down to a simmer. I'll let go for about an hour, during which time I'll cut up some veggies. This time I used:

3 large carrots, cut thin on the bias
2 turnips, 1/2" dice
1 med onion, diced
1/2 lb celery, cut on the bias
8 oz mushrooms, quarters (well, actually slivered to 1/6)
1/4 head of cabbage, cut to about 1" x 1/2" peices

Note: I didn't use potatoes in an effort to keep it lower in carbs. I don't need 'em with the turnips anyways.

When the meat is starting to get tender I add all the veggies. I fortify the natural stock with a couple TBSP of Tone's beef paste (it's okay and it was in the fridge). I added a bit more fresh pepper melange and some thyme, then just let it simmer til the veggies were starting to soften.

I had some roux left over from my last recipe so I used just a bit to give it some body. I cranked it a low boil for a couple minutes to thicken then simmered it for a half hour to cook the flour taste out. Pretty simple and it turned out really nice.:chef: