So who gives blood?

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
My son Myles gave blood on Friday for the first time - he had to turn 17 before he could. It was great - they gave him all sorts of goodies including 2 movie tickets, a reusable shopping bag, and a T-shirt. I'm really proud of him because it's something I've done for years and years and I know it's something that is always needed. So I started wondering - who gives blood here?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I've been giving for years. Nearly every time I'm "due" again, I go. I've already gotten 3 gallon pins (been doing it since 1990), and have actually stopped counting. I'm O Negative, so they really love my blood. :lol:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've been giving for years. Nearly every time I'm "due" again, I go. I've already gotten 3 gallon pins (been doing it since 1990), and have actually stopped counting. I'm O Negative, so they really love my blood. :lol:
WooHoo! You go, Keltin!:applause::applause::applause: Like you, I go every time they call me to remind me it's time again. (And they always call exactly on the day I can donate again.) I am B Negative so they like me, too. (It's the Negative part they like, right?)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
WooHoo! You go, Keltin!:applause::applause::applause: Like you, I go every time they call me to remind me it's time again. (And they always call exactly on the day I can donate again.) I am B Negative so they like me, too. (It's the Negative part they like, right?)

Yeah, it's about the only time being Negative is such a Positive!! :yum:

lilylove

I did it once and almost passed out...not from the sight of blood, that doesn't bother me.. but the lack of blood wasn't good for me. The dr there said I shouldn't do it again.

That was years ago...I should try it again....

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I did it once and almost passed out...not from the sight of blood, that doesn't bother me.. but the lack of blood wasn't good for me. The dr there said I shouldn't do it again.

That was years ago...I should try it again....
Oh no - don't do it again, Trish! It's not supposed to make you pass out!!! But it's true, lots of people can't give blood. My mom had malaria as a child and can't ever donate. One of my best friends has HepC and so she can never donate. 2 of my kids have very, very small veins so the Blood Center can't get the big needle in. Another friend doesn't weigh enough so she can't. (I've never had that problem.) That's why they always need blood - cuz not everyone can donate.

CharlieD

My father have been doing for years, me, I faint the moment I see surenge, done it many times, so I do not go anywhere close those things.

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Wish I could, but, they won't take it, lol. Seriously, they won't since I have a coagulation deficiency.

Biskit

I give whenever I'm able to. Been doing it for about 4 or 5 years now. There's a travelling blood bank which makes its rounds. Some of the girls know me by name.
I'm B Neg so I'm in demand too!

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
I give whenever I'm able to. Been doing it for about 4 or 5 years now. There's a travelling blood bank which makes its rounds. Some of the girls know me by name.
I'm B Neg so I'm in demand too!

Imagine that:wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I can't due to contacting malaria over seas but wife does a couple of times a year. I have a couple of my son's that do as well.

GotGarlic

As someone who regularly needs transfusions, due to two chronic illnesses, I thank everyone who donates blood, and I appreciate the desire to do so of those who can't. I can't, either, obviously :wink: I gave once in high school, but just about passed out and am at least borderline anemic most of the time.

Peggy

I've given blood...but only to the vampires! I don't think any one would want mine, I'm a mess, lol! Seriously, I wish I could help save someone!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
For years I couldn't because of the endless parade of incoming tattoos...
Now, I never seem to be around when the blood drives happen at work. I have signed my donor card, though...
However, if I live much longer, I'll be too pickled to do anyone any good.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've given blood...but only to the vampires! I don't think any one would want mine, I'm a mess, lol! Seriously, I wish I could help save someone!

careful where you say that, bebe...you never know where the nearest vampyre might be.....

Peggy

For years I couldn't because of the endless parade of incoming tattoos...
Now, I never seem to be around when the blood drives happen at work. I have signed my donor card, though...
However, if I live much longer, I'll be too pickled to do anyone any good.

Pickeled? Yep, that's me too!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I suppose I should be shamed into giving. The last time was when I was in college and needed cash to buy a custom pool cue. I'm all about the important things in life.... lol

lilylove

I've signed my donor card too... they can have everything but my eyes... Not sure why they can't have those, it just freaks me out. I'm a weirdo!!!

Made my son sign his too when he got his first license. I've got to ask him if he is still willing.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have had problems with being under weight and having anemia so it is not something that I can do often. I did give blood to my father when he had surgery. Currently, I hope to be tested to see if I am a match so someone can have a kidney transplant in the future.

Love2"Q"

i would and have tried but i cant ...
they will not take blood from people who lived in europe from sometime in the
70s to sometime in the 80s .. or around there ...
mad cow ..

Biskit

i would and have tried but i cant ...
they will not take blood from people who lived in europe from sometime in the
70s to sometime in the 80s .. or around there ...
mad cow ..

Who you callin' a mad cow?:twak:

I've been called a horse's ass before, but, never that!

Biskit

No apology needed, Love2Q. I neglected to insert the appropriate smilies to show that I was joking. And, I was!