What's cooking NCT Sunday 12/4/2016 to Saturday 12/10/2016?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Have decided on Salisbury steak, mashed or scalloped potatoes, steamed frozen peas & fresh carrots and onion gravy.

My first batch of homemade coffee yogurt is incubating and will be done and ready to chill in 5 1/2 hours. I hope it's as good as the yogurt I used to make years ago.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Made chicken & rice soup in the pressure cooker yesterday, and a loaf of no knead bread. I'm good for three days!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Rainy day here and cold.
A meatloaf kind of day, with mashies and tomato gravy, and something green.
Yep.

Peggy

Been raining here for 3 days, and getting colder. Hopefully the rain has stopped for a while! Sounds great what you are cooking today!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Made chicken & rice soup in the pressure cooker yesterday, and a loaf of no knead bread. I'm good for three days!

How do you make the soup in the pressure cooker? I started a pressure cooker thread. I hope you share your recipes, tips etc.

Johnny West

I'm making Emeril's split pea soup but am leaving out the ham hock. I do have over a pound of ham that's going in the mix.

Peggy

Sounds great! I have some ham leftover from Thanksgiving, trying to figure out what to make with it!:unsure:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Dinner was good.
The something green was green beans.

The tomato gravy was one I've used several times.
Pan drippings from the meatloaf.
Flour, tomato soup, chicken broth.
Now I've almost half a can of tomato soup and Swanson broth to figure out what to do with, unless I throw them away.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Dinner was good.
The something green was green beans.

The tomato gravy was one I've used several times.
Pan drippings from the meatloaf.
Flour, tomato soup, chicken broth.
Now I've almost half a can of tomato soup and Swanson broth to figure out what to do with, unless I throw them away.
Your dinner sounds yummy.
How about using both for - making Mexican rice or add some veggies for a quick veggie soup.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Your dinner sounds yummy.
How about using both for - making Mexican rice or add some veggies for a quick veggie soup.

Good idea Peeps.
I'll save them as I believe in waste not, want not.
I hate throwing anything out.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Good idea Peeps.
I'll save them as I believe in waste not, want not.
I hate throwing anything out.

You can put each into 1/2 pint containers or ziplock bags and freeze for later use. Or ice cube trays then pop them into a zip bag when solid. Drop a cube into whatever your cooking for extra flavor or to loosen a thick gravy/sauce.

Last edited:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Think I'll dance around the skillet tonight ... Burger, Pasta of some sort, tomatoes, onions, etc.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Leftovers in a Tupperware container for work din din.
Meatloaf, mash and green beans of course.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
so this guy walks into a butcher shop and asks for two ham hocks - after inquiring if they is real smoked or fake smoked. yammer yammer here's your hocks onandetc....

for two, with lentils, tonight. bit much methinks . . .

Attachments

• DSC_5042.jpg
    DSC_5042.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 93

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Finally done making homemade meatballs and sauce. I have 36 medium size meatballs and about a quart of sauce on the stove for dinner tonight. 5 pints of sauce are cooling in the quick cool crisper then will go in freezer.

I only got about three hours sleep in the past two days. I am beat and I gave myself several nicks here and there because my fingers are numb and joints are screaming. DD is going to cook the cheese ravioli for me.

Johnny West

so this guy walks into a butcher shop and asks for two ham hocks - after inquiring if they is real smoked or fake smoked. yammer yammer here's your hocks onandetc....

for two, with lentils, tonight. bit much methinks . . .

I'm impressed! It's like slack, it's better to have to much than not enough.

I have three meat markets I can get fresh smoke and am planning a trip soon. Winco's hocks did not meat my expectations today.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
So........
I danced around that skillet last night.........

But I made a huge error, one I haven't ever made before...........

I found these in the store last week.
Before I added them to the mix, I tasted the liquid for heat level, and found it to be okay...
But when the can (drained) was added, the heat level went over the top !

Plenty of milk was consumed at dinner last night !

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
This evening is our works Christmas party at the Fraternal Order of Eagles hall.
They're going to bring us meals from the party for those who worked.
In years past it's been chicken or chopped steak with all the trimmings, salads and pie slices neatly delivered in styrofoam containers.

Cooksie

Site Supporter

I only got about three hours sleep in the past two days. I am beat and I gave myself several nicks here and there because my fingers are numb and joints are screaming. DD is going to cook the cheese ravioli for me.

Get one of those little mini choppers for when you're having hand problems. I know the pieces don't come all pretty and uniform, but they beat cutting up your hands.

I've got some black eyed peas in the crock pot. I may go meatless tonight.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Get one of those little mini choppers for when you're having hand problems. I know the pieces don't come all pretty and uniform, but they beat cutting up your hands.

Thanks Cookson. I actually have one of these for herbs that I LOVE. It takes seconds whereas it took so long by hand.

IMG_1548.JPG

I have a mini chopper but sometimes I just don't want to clean it.

Yesterday I used one of these to help with my garlic

IMG_1549.JPG

I used the flat side to smack and remove the skin then the pointy side the beat the heck out of the cloves. Then it was fast work to finish the rough chop. It also let me relieve some tension. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Johnny West

I miss the Christmas parties.

Muir Glen tomatoes are on sale a lot at commissary and keep a few cans ahead even though I bottle tomatoes. I like to have the diced for different recipes.

Tonight is leftover rouladen. :readytoeat:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

How do you cook the peas? What will you serve with them?