Franken-Pantry V

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
When I started to consider this week's Franken Pantry, I did a google search with pork, rice and lentils. I found a Chipotle Pork Stew, but it had ingredients I couldn't use, like beer and potatoes and tomatoes, that weren't in the pantry. So, I improvised, and this was the best Franken Pantry meal I've made. Jerry and I agree that it was seriously delicious!

I took one pork tenderloin (pretty large, a little over a pound), trimmed the membrane and cut it into chunks. I mixed a cup of flour with a quarter cup of chile powder and some salt. Dredged the meat well and browned in two batches, in a mix of butter and EVOO. I let it get good and brown. Then I added a little more butter to the pan and half of a chopped large onion. I let the onion sweat a bit and deglazed the pan with...water. Then I added three plump chipotles, smashed them up and added back the pork cubes. I let that simmer for about an hour, and served it over a mixture of white rice (cooked in water, salt and a little butter) and lentils, that I cooked separately. I combined them when done, with a little more butter and spooned this delicious tender pork and lovely brown gravy over the top. It might have been better if I'd used broth instead of water, and maybe added some other vegetables, but we loved it just like it was - a hint of smoky chipotle and the nice textural mix of rice and lentils. Yum yum. Thanks to Franken Pantry, Keltin - I never would have discovered this otherwise, and it will become part of the regular rotation here.

Karen! :w00t:

You are a genius! :thumb:

Perfect use of the pantry…..but that aside…….WOW, that looks absolutely incredible!!! I want some!! :clap:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps, Keltin and mhend - we really enjoyed this dinner. Keltin!!! You made BISCUITS! I am so impressed. And I love your breakfast idea. Will make the morning commute a little less painful to be munching away on one of those pork and biscuit sandwiches.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps, Keltin and mhend - we really enjoyed this dinner. Keltin!!! You made BISCUITS! I am so impressed. And I love your breakfast idea. Will make the morning commute a little less painful to be munching away on one of those pork and biscuit sandwiches.

What is this world coming to?!?! I BAKED????? :lol:

Thanks to all you guys at NCT, especially you and Mama, I seem to have become comfortable with basic stuff like biscuits! I owe it all to you guys! Thank you!! I don't fear flour nearly as much as I did a year or so ago!! :clap:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here is my Franken-Pantry rendition of DeeLady’s Porcupine Meatballs.

I used DeeLady’s recipe for Porcupine Meatballs as the base for this. DW was enthralled with this recipe once I read it to her, so it was a natural that we try to make it from the Franken-Pantry.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16736

Since I am in the Franken Pantry, I had to change a few things.

I’ll call this one:

DeeLady’s Porcupine Meatballs with Sweet Chili Sauce

I started with Sirloin Pork Chops, cut them into chunks, and put them through the food processor to grind them up to mince meat. Then added minced onion and dry rice. I then made my meatballs.

In a pan, I started with a little oil and some flour to make a roux. As it was browning, I added 1 TBSP each of Chili Powder and Sugar. I browned a bit more till fragrant and then added 3 cups of water.

I then added an additional TBSP of Chili Powder and 1.5 TBSP of sugar.

Once the liquid was boiling, I added the meatballs. Cover and cook on medium to low heat for 30 minutes, then turn the meatballs. Cover and cook 20 minutes, then uncover on high heat to reduce the sauce.

On the side, I made a pot of yellow rice.

To serve, I plated the yellow rice, added meatballs, then the sauce. I topped it all with some chives since chives are of the onion family (and onions are in the Pantry). Chives added color and a touch of extra flavor.

This turned out very well, and we’re thrilled with it!! Thank you DeeLady!! :clap:

Now that I have made them, I know why they are called porcupine meatballs! When they cook like this, the rice absorbs liquid and expands. If you don’t move them about, but let them sit, the meatballs grow little rice quills that poke out all over the place - like a porcupine! It’s really flippin’ cool! :clap:

Next, DeeLady, we’re going to try your mushroom soup rendition of this! Can’t wait! :thumb:

Attachments

• m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 135
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 134
  • m3.jpg
    m3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 134
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 132

LETHAL GTS

You guys are over the top!
I can't wait to make mine this weekend.
Single dad with four boys keeps me busy, but my cooking is always a welcome sight when it comes to my kids.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Keltin, that is truly clever. I'm going to try that very soon. I love the rich color of the sauce. The meatballs stayed together without any filler or eggs? Does the rice cook inside the meatballs? That's great - I love meatballs that are "poached" in a sauce. That's how I make albondigas. I can almost taste and smell them...and I'll bet you had a nice drive to work this morning, munching away on your breakfast!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
[quote_ Lethal GTS]Single dad with four boys keeps me busy[/quote]

That's ALOT of meatballs!!!

Guts

Keltin, that is truly clever. I'm going to try that very soon. I love the rich color of the sauce. The meatballs stayed together without any filler or eggs? Does the rice cook inside the meatballs? That's great - I love meatballs that are "poached" in a sauce. That's how I make albondigas. I can almost taste and smell them...and I'll bet you had a nice drive to work this morning, munching away on your breakfast!

Karen have you ever posted your recipe for albondigas ? Do you use mint in your recipe. I sure would like to see your albondigas soup recipe when you find the time.
Kim

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Guts said:
Karen have you ever posted your recipe for albondigas ? Do you use mint in your recipe. I sure would like to see your albondigas soup recipe when you find the time.
Kim

I posted the recipe awhile back, Kim: http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5299

The original recipe called for mint, I use cilantro instead of mint, because I could never find herba buena. But I have found some that is dried, and the next time I make these, I think I'll use it. Probably still garnish with cilantro - it is SO good.

I also have started adding additional vegetables to the broth and serving it as more of a soup...whatever fresh vegetables you have would work.

Guts

Thanks Karen I have copied to my favorites, I'm going to try this very soon as it cools off here. in the 90s yesterday.

Deelady

VERY nice Karen and Keltin!!!

Cool rendition of the meatballs! They look great! :D
I'll have tosee if I can come up with something tonight.....

Deelady

Keltin you should post your recipe and pics under the porcupine meatball post with mine to give people 3 options of the recipe. :)

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow, Karen, that looks awesome!

Keltin, I imagine you really had a nice ride to work and your meatballs look amazing!

Well, here's my first entry. I made some fried apples using peeled and cored 2 gala apples with 4 tablespoons butter and 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. I added about 1/4 teaspoon each of nutmeg and cinnamon. Cooked until the apples were tender.

I pureed about 1/2 of the apple and a little of the syrup in the food processor leaving it a little chunky. I poured that into a bowl with some self-rising flour, a little white sugar, butter and water and combined it just until it was incorporated.

I then made a patty out of breakfast sausage and cooked it along with the pancakes. I put the patty in between 2 pancakes and poured the leftover fried apples on top. You could definitely eat these as breakfast sammies if you leave off the fried apples with the syrup. They turned out wonderfully. This was my first time making pancakes without milk or eggs but it won't be the last because the pancakes were the best part...not that the rest wasn't good because ti definitely was!

Attachments

• apple-pancakes-3.jpg
    apple-pancakes-3.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 165
  • apple-pancakes-4.jpg
    apple-pancakes-4.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 165
  • apple-pancakes-5.jpg
    apple-pancakes-5.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 163
  • apple-pancakes-6.jpg
    apple-pancakes-6.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 195
  • apple-pancakes-7.jpg
    apple-pancakes-7.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 160
  • apple-pancakes-2.jpg
    apple-pancakes-2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 161
  • apple-pancakes-1.jpg
    apple-pancakes-1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 160

mhend

Mama! That looks so good - I don't even know what to say! LOL! If I had some sausage I would be having that for dinner tonight.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mama, I am speechless. That looks about as good as anything I have ever seen. If I had to choose a last meal, that would be it. Congrats on really using your creative cooking skills...isn't this fun???

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks, mhend, Cooksie and Karen! I really enjoy Franken Pantry. Not only can you be creative, but I, for one, have learned a lot. I had no idea that you could make really good pancakes without milk or eggs...and if it wasn't for Franken Pantry, I probably never would...so...Thanks, Keltin! :respect:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
HOLY CARP!! :w00t:

MAMA! That is incredible. Superb use of the Pantry, and it looks outstanding! I’m speechless!!

Uh…….I’ll trade you a pork biscuit for a plate of that!!! :clap:

I’ve gotta admit, I’ve learned quite a bit from Franken Pantry myself. From making butter, to minimalist baking, to never before considered pairings. The sweet chili sauce I made was actually very good. I’ll be making it again for use in other dishes.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for jumping in, and I can’t wait to see what else is still to come! :clap: :thumb:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps!

Thanks Keltin! I'd love to trade with you! I'll bet that pork biscuit was really good! If we would have had some milk, that would have great with a white gravy poured over it!