How many cookbooks?

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Today I was cleaning out the back room, getting ready for a garage sale. As I pulled out a pile of cookbooks to sell, I looked over what I was keeping. I counted 262 keepers and 42 to sell. That's 304 cookbooks, not counting the instruction/recipe booklets that come with appliances and equipment, and not counting magazines. I'm talking about just cookbooks.

How many are on your shelves?

Let's count how many NCT cookbooks we have together. Count your own and post the total here. I will (or someone else can if they want to step in) keep a running total and track just how many cookbooks we collectively own.

homecook

Oh wow..........it will take me a couple days to count them all. LOL I've got some in the kitchen, in the family room, in the utility room (pantry). Acck!!

I'm like you in that I also have magazines, pamphlets, newspaper clippings, etc......

I'll get back to you.

AllenOK

Heck, mine are still packed away. I don't know when/if I'll unpack them. I think I have around 30.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Mine are in boxes at the moment. I have not found the bookcases of my dreams yet. They use to be on three shelves going across my bedroom wall but I have bought many, many since then. Baking books are my weakness.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I probably only have about 20 or so. I have not been cooking all that long compared to some of you. Being an Internet baby, I get an awful lot off the WEB.

If I make something particularly good, I have started documenting the recipe, as I usually do not follow the one I started with exactly.

smoke king

Banned
Being an Internet baby, I get an awful lot off the WEB.

Same here-as a matter of fact, If I'm looking for a recipe, I'll generally check cooks.com (et al) first.

Actual "cookbooks", looks like there are 41, but I may have missed a few. Also, several years worth of "cooks illustrated" and "cooks country".

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
About 25 or 30 I think. Like Andy, I get many if not most of my ideas and recipes on the Internet but I still use the books for cooking techniques, tips, and pictures.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
60. Not counting pamphlets, recipe cards or printed out sheets.

I live in a townhouse, with no basement or attic, so storage space is extremely limited. I have a bookcase in the dining area off the kitchen, which has all my much-used, beloved cookbooks. I rarely buy cookbooks anymore, unless the author is a friend.

But I keep getting them as gifts. To avoid "cookbook-spread", my rule is that when a new cookbook comes in the house, I have to decide whether to keep it to replace one I already have, or to get rid of one of my older ones.

A lot of NCT's printed recipes are in the big black binder on the bottom shelf - I use that binder a lot, making handwritten notes on the pages. :smile:

Lee

59cookbooks.jpg

chowhound

I have maybe 20, but only two (I think) are readily available. A Better Homes & Gardens and a James Beard (?). The red checkered one is the only one I look at anymore, and that's rarely. Typically I just Google recipes now. I like having several options available to choose from with reviews.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I thank Hurricane Andrew for taking my collection of cook books away years ago. I had everything Martin Yan did as well as Jeff Smith and some assorted others. Today I have 3 only and probably haven't openned them in a few years now. I also have a few recipes that came with the food processor, pressure cooker, smoker, slow cooker etc. I use the largest cook book on the planet now the Internet when I want to try something new or different. Google is my friend when it comes to recipes, as for the basics that is also covered quite well also.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I have about 30 cookbooks and one gaping binder. I also have a ton of Southern Living magazines that I can't throw away because one of these days I'm going to go through them and tear out the recipes that I want to save.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You know what I noticed, Lee? All the paper markers in your cookbooks! Those books are well used! No wonder you are such a good cook!

Deelady

I counted 73 actual books with ALOT of pamplets and 4 binders stuffed with collected internet and magazine favorites!

Attachments

• hoover 186.jpg
    hoover 186.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 121

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You know what I noticed, Lee? All the paper markers in your cookbooks! Those books are well used! No wonder you are such a good cook!

Honestly, Terry, you are the sweetest thing since sliced bread!

What I noticed about what I wrote is the following, which makes no sense: " ....when a new cookbook comes in the house, I have to decide whether to keep it to replace one I already have, or to get rid of one of my older ones."

I'm sure that everyone who read it knows that I meant. ;)

Lee

FryBoy

Over 1000, many very rare and collectible. Here's the main bookshelf for cookbooks and one of the three smaller ones:

Attachments

• Cookbooks I 9-11-06.jpg
    Cookbooks I 9-11-06.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Cookbooks II 9-11-06.jpg
    Cookbooks II 9-11-06.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 100

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Doug, my collection is large like yours but is primarily dessert cookbooks but not totally. Cookbooks are my weakness. In fact, I have several fairly new ones: "Ratio" by Michael Ruhlman, "Heavenly Cakes" by Rose Levy Beranbaum and one that is not new but new to me, "The Great Boook of Chocolate" by David Lebovitz. I have a wish list of new cookbooks.