What are you Baking today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowhound

Re: What are you baking today?

A yeast packet is 2-1/4 tsp.
I know this because when I was buying some baking stuff King Arthur sold me a 2-1/4 tsp measuring spoon, saying that was how much yeast is in a packet, just in case I am following a recipe that says 1 packet.

Deelady

thanks... I checked as well, maybe tomorrow I'll have the umph to make some :D

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I baked two loaves of Italian bread this morning.....
You sure have that formula dialed in. Outstanding! I baked two loaves of old world Italian bread and three baguettes with the French bread recipe last night at the class. I've got bread all over the counter here today. :yum:

Hey Dee, your packet is good enough for this recipe, but you should go to GFS and get a 1# packet of SAF Instant Yeast for about $2.50. You just keep a small sealed jar in the fridge for daily use, and the rest in the freezer. It will keep for up to 2 years in an airtight container in the freezer. A 1# package is enough to make at least 100 loaves of bread. 2-1/4 t (.30 oz.) of Instant Yeast (1 packet) makes 2 loaves of bread.

Make sure to post a pic if you make the bread tomorrow. Also, time your baking so that the bread has at least 1-2 hours to cool down before cutting into the loaf. This is called the rest period, and allows the internal steam to dissipate and to firm-up the crumb. It is an actual step in bread baking. If you cut the bread while hot, you will crush the crumb and end up with a gooey paste between the crust.

Good baking to you!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter

You sure have that formula dialed in. Outstanding! I baked two loaves of old world Italian bread and three baguettes with the French bread recipe last night at the class. I've got bread all over the counter here today. :yum:

Hey Dee, your packet is good enough for this recipe, but you should go to GFS and get a 1# packet of SAF Instant Yeast for about $2.50. You just keep a small sealed jar in the fridge for daily use, and the rest in the freezer. It will keep for up to 2 years in an airtight container in the freezer. A 1# package is enough to make at least 100 loaves of bread. 2-1/4 t (.30 oz.) of Instant Yeast (1 packet) makes 2 loaves of bread.

Make sure to post a pic if you make the bread tomorrow. Also, time your baking so that the bread has at least 1-2 hours to cool down before cutting into the loaf. This is called the rest period, and allows the internal steam to dissipate and to firm-up the crumb. It is an actual step in bread baking. If you cut the bread while hot, you will crush the crumb and end up with a gooey paste between the crust.

Good baking to you!

can i get that in jersey or online joe?

there was a place around here where i used to get large silver bags of loose Fleischman's yeast. i think it was for bakery use because the smell during bloom was fantastic and the flavor was much better than the usual pouch or bottle stuff. but the place closed and i can't find the silver bags of yeast any where. it stayed good in the freezer and proofed for 4 years.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I baked two loaves of Italian bread this morning.....

can i get that in jersey or online joe?

there was a place around here where i used to get large silver bags of loose Fleischman's yeast. i think it was for bakery use because the smell during bloom was fantastic and the flavor was much better than the usual pouch or bottle stuff. but the place closed and i can't find the silver bags of yeast any where. it stayed good in the freezer and proofed for 4 years.
Sam's Club has has the same price, but you have to buy 2 1# packages for about $4.50. I believe Costco and the other wholesale clubs have a similar deal. GFS is in a 6-state area, and NJ is not one of them. Even at $4.50 for 2#, you are still money ahead over buying the little 4 oz bottle of "Bread Machine Yeast" that costs around $7.00. What a rip for the same contents...Instant Yeast.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Sam's Club has has the same price, but you have to buy 2 1# packages for about $4.50. I believe Costco and the other wholesale clubs have a similar deal. GFS is in a 6-state area, and NJ is not one of them. Even at $4.50 for 2#, you are still money ahead over buying the little 4 oz bottle of "Bread Machine Yeast" that costs around $7.00. What a rip for the same contents...Instant Yeast.

thank you joe!!

homecook

Thanks Joe!! Thanks to you........I gave a loaf to Heather at bowling tonight because she really loves it. lol

You must share that recipe with me for the French baguettes. Please! Is it something I'll be able to do?

suziquzie

geez you guys with the bread!!!
I was all set to continue my yard work on this rare 60 and sunny november day...... but I may have to play with dough now.... the bagels tomorrow just aint gonna cut it! :)

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Mixed up the dough last night after making 1-1/2 dozen sandwich rolls, and baked off this morning. Sourdough no-knead.

P1020207.jpg

Shermie

Site Supporter

Here's the 7-Up cake that I made yesterday. Well, what's left of it.

Has a real lemony buttery taste, also! :chef:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 122

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter

Just put a crumb coffee cake in the oven for breakfast tomorrow morning.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

I baked chocolate chocolate chip muffins this morning, they are yummy!!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

WOW! Those look delicious. Tried to give you reps, but gotta spread some around first. Definitely worth extra reps.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Get ready for a few pics. This was week 2 of 3 at the bread baking class I'm taking at the International Culinary Arts & Sciences Institute in Chesterland, Ohio. Last week was getting used to the environment and making some basic baguettes and Italian breads, but this week Chef Tim had everyone making a different bread. The 3 hour class ran almost 4 hours, and the multigrain bread that I made was still in the oven when we left. Chef will freeze it and we'll sample it next week.

Here is the classroom we get to work & learn in.

P1020214.jpg

P1020215.jpg

Chef Tim offering advice to a student braiding Challah bread...

P1020216.jpg

Rye bread fresh from the oven...

P1020218.jpg

French baguettes and semolina rolls...

P1020219.jpg

Challah fresh from the oven...

P1020220.jpg

Check out the crumb; it's like cotton candy...

P1020224.jpg

Here's a love shot of the rye, honey whole wheat, baguettes, semolina rolls, Challah and Focaccia topped with EVOO, Soprasetta salami, fresh thyme and fresh grated Parmesan.

P1020223.jpg

Chef Tim managed to get a couple of blocks of cheeses for us to snack on while we sampled all the different breads.

Next week will be the final week, and we will be making Artisan loaves and sourdough breads. It should be fun. I gave everyone in the class a 2 oz. container of my fresh sourdough starter and instructions so they can build their own starter for next week.

homecook

That looks so cool Joe!! I'm sure you're having the time of your life in that class. All those breads look super!! Wow!!!

Shermie

Site Supporter

I'm truly amazed by all those K'Aid mixers in thos pics!

Deelady

Have you learned anything new or is it more a type of review and fine tuning for you?

Everything looks great!!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg so much bread so little time!!

:yum:

Deelady

Carrot, Banana, Walnut Muffins.....and all I can say is YUM!!!

Attachments

• Wedding 072.jpg
    Wedding 072.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Wedding 071.jpg
    Wedding 071.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 139

Meme4251

LOL....I thought about it after I pressed submit...Dumb ass me!! :twak:They do look really delisious.....

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter

Have you learned anything new or is it more a type of review and fine tuning for you?

Everything looks great!!
Yes, I have learned some new techniques for dough handling, and most importantly, I learned to never trust someone else's bread formulas. :twak: I expected a culinary school to have a better handle on metric conversions, but I see that I must be responsible for checking the accuracy of others recipes, regardless of their credentials. Two breads assigned to me were seriously lacking in hydration, and when I pointed out the errors in the recipes, the chef admitted the problem was the formula and not the student (me). I managed to salvage both doughs, but they were far from my best work.

This is the final week of the class and we will be covering sourdough breads and multi-day artisan breads. I will be baking both breads from my recipes at home and taking them in for review, since we only have a one-day class. I will attempt to get a no-knead dough to stand up for the 30 minute drive to the school, so I can shape and bake one formula in class.

Status
Not open for further replies.