all these new recipes are great ..

Love2"Q"

but if you have made it ..
can you take a pic for those of us that are lacking
in the imagination department ..

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I am new to my digital camera and downloading pictures but it is on my list of things to learn to do better. In the future, I shall try to take pictures of what I bake.

Calicolady

I don't have equip. Sorry. I wish I did.
Bams has a gazillion recipes I wish he'd pics, & lt, & homecook & keltin. Who else?
Yes, I wish they would too!

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I think some of the recipes are historic so may have to wait for another time before a picture can be taken. I too am enjoying the recipies flowing.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Not a bad idea, I have taken some pics of things I have made and they are in my album. As I make stuff again I plan on taking pics of them and adding into the album. I figure eventually I will have photos of everything.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
I think some of the recipes are historic so may have to wait for another time before a picture can be taken. I too am enjoying the recipies flowing.

yes they are historic.. some are old family recipes..some are from when i was cooking in a restaurant...

if i made all the recipes again that i posted up here, i would be able to feed everybody here for a year..lol

any takers?..lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I just got a digital camera (about 2 weeks agao) to replace my old broken one, and so the pics are now starting to roll in. I've posted most of my recipes from my archives, but as I make them again, I will take pics and add a new pic post.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
yes they are historic.. some are old family recipes..some are from when i was cooking in a restaurant...

if i made all the recipes again that i posted up here, i would be able to feed everybody here for a year..lol

any takers?..lol

Sign me up!!! :lol:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
You geeks (and I say that with great respect) out there probably know better than I do that photos take up bandwidth and can easily cause boards like this one to crash.
I think before we go photo crazy, we should consider the cost of more bandwidth and capacity of what we have now.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You geeks (and I say that with great respect) out there probably know better than I do that photos take up bandwidth and can easily cause boards like this one to crash.
I think before we go photo crazy, we should consider the cost of more bandwidth and capacity of what we have now.

you you are right but there are solutions to that as well...

you can make a full size pic like this
johnny_automatic_black_olive.jpg

or you could post it as a thumbnail like this and have to click it to get a fullsize version of it

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Store the pics off site and link to them. Use a free host site like tinypic, Flikr, photobucket, etc. The files are stored there and don't use HD space at NCT, plus, they are downloaded from there meaning it's their bandwidth used to push the pic down and not NCTs. It's the attach options that are of concern.

2il2e9.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I take so many pictures of food and baked goods, that DW will sometimes say "That looks really nice. Don't you want to take a picture of it?" I have learned people really benefit from pictures, especially if they are cooking for company and want to make a nice impression on their guests.

We have a saying on my fly fishing forum; "If there ain't no picture, it didn't happen." I know that's not practical for everyone here, but I would guess a lot of us have digital cameras, even if some don't know how to use them to their maximum capabilities. Maybe one of the more techy people could write a tutorial for using sites like Photobucket, and make it a sticky somewhere.

Love2"Q"

i fully understand not every recipe can have a pic to go with it ..
that would be damn near impossible ..
my thing is i see alot of things i want to try ..
but .. i would like to see what it looks like ..
just a idea ..
and as far as bandwith ...
i get that too ..
you could post a link to photoshack or something like that ..

Love2"Q"

mama .. yes you do .. and i love your site ...
i love the fried chicken ...

i also understand that people are not as experienced at posting
pictures ...
but some of us are just as inexperienced with some of the foods
and the ingredients posted ..

chowhound

Well just to say, Bam's chicken tender thingy is on my of things to make just because I saw what it looked like, but if I only read over the recipe I doubt I would make it, but that's just me.
And a lot of other people (lol)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Bandwidth is a two fold consideration. There is the site’s BW and YOUR BW.

The site BW is responsible for pushing all the data stored locally to you, and everyone else using the site. This has to be done simultaneously. Well, technically, there is generally no such thing as true multi-tasking and simultaneous downloads, instead the CPU opens different sockets, and then feeds one for a few milliseconds, then the next, then the next. It does so at such a great rate of speed, it appears to be multitasking, but at the millisecond time level, you can see it is only doing one at a time. Some multi-processors rigs can achieve true multitasking, but on the whole, it is serially accomplished.

Anyway, the more users logged on, the more NCT BW is used. Then, the more content stored locally at NCT, the more BW NCT has to push down to the user. If you store your pics off site, then THAT server will have to push the pic to you thus saving NCT BW.

On the user end, the pic appears in the NCT post, but actually comes from somewhere else. However, the user still has to download all of the data no matter where it comes from, and that affects user BW.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Thanks again, Keltin. I have experienced many boards not being able to handle pictures and constantly crashing. It is a pain in the a$$ to deal with from my point of view.

I had trouble using my photobucket account and transfering photos here but I know it can be done--I just need to practise.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter

any takers?..lol

So let me get this straight.... you make it.. I take a picture of it then get to eat it????:ohmy:

What exactly is the downside (aside from needing a larger belt) to this arrangement??:yum::yum:

Sign me up!!:bounce:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Well just to say, Bam's chicken tender thingy is on my of things to make just because I saw what it looked like, but if I only read over the recipe I doubt I would make it, but that's just me.
And a lot of other people (lol)

so does that mean i should stop posting recipes unless i have pictures of them?..lmao:yum:

chowhound

so does that mean i should stop posting recipes unless i have pictures of them?..lmao:yum:

Uh, noooo.
Just that more people are likely to try something if they see what it looks like. By all means, post away. We've got a contest going ;^)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks again, Keltin. I have experienced many boards not being able to handle pictures and constantly crashing. It is a pain in the a$$ to deal with from my point of view.

I had trouble using my photobucket account and transfering photos here but I know it can be done--I just need to practise.

Those sites probably had tons of "attached" pics stored locally?

I’ve actually been using a free site called Tinypic. No username, just upload and get the link. But, not really smart since eventually those pics will probably be pushed off into the bit-bucket meaning my links here will die. Luckily, I have local copies and can upload them again. I just opened a Photobucket account, so here is a test of off site linking to Photobucket.

Gnocchi with sauce
Sauce_On_2.jpg

homecook

I totally get the picture thing. Most of the recipes I've posted were ones I made previously and never thought to take pics.
Until I started going on food sites it never crossed my mind. I have taken pics of breads I've made, they're still in the camera. lol When daughter dear comes out tomorrow she's supposed to show me how all this works. Then I'll be able to start posting pics of things I've made.
Or do like chow and Keltin and make my recipes and you post the pic. LOL

Barb

GotGarlic

Does it use bandwidth if you just copy and paste?

From where to where? I don't think so, but I'm not sure what you're referring to. Bandwidth is used when you upload or download something between your computer and a server.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Most of the pics I get from my webiste. I just highlight, copy and paste.