Butter vs The Other Spread

LADawg

A quick question…… How many of you use real BUTTER and how many use THE OTHER SPREAD?
Me, I swished over to real BUTTER at least a dozen or more years ago, and never looked back. To me butter taste so much better…

Saliha

I like butter more but usually I use margarine. Its easier to use as its softer.

Sometimes I make butter by myself and season it with herbs, sea salt and garlic, sometimes with olive oil. That kind of butter I could eat every day.

bbqguy

butter tastes better and is Sooo much better for you. Read the studies, do the research and abandon margarine forever.

Johnny West

Me, too. I grew up on butter - the folks switched to oleo but soon went back.

I like the idea of all the herbs in the butter. Thanks for the tip.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my Mom bought margarine. my Grandfolk; real butter; & my family despises fake butter. except fer my Mom. we despise that pseudo--------

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I grew up on Blue Bonnet margarine.
My one Grandmother used nothing but butter.

As for myself, I sometimes buy Fleischmann or Parkay margarine, but prefer Land O' Lakes, or Amish butter roll.

Johnny West

I remembered when it came out it was called "coloured oleo". There was a little button on the inside of the bag, you'd squeeze and mush it up till it was the colour of butter. I was pretty young then so it's a little vague. My father had a great tutorial on the margarine industry and sadly he didn't record it, just like his war stories.

I remember, as a kid, signs on the side of the road where to go in MN to buy it because it was illegal to sell it in IA.
Now they grow corn for ethanol. Go figure.

Is everything better with Blue Bonnet on it?

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
I remembered when it came out it was called "coloured oleo". There was a little button on the inside of the bag, you'd squeeze and mush it up till it was the colour of butter. I was pretty young then so it's a little vague. My father had a great tutorial on the margarine industry and sadly he didn't record it, just like his war stories.

I remember, as a kid, signs on the side of the road where to go in MN to buy it because it was illegal to sell it in IA.
Now they grow corn for ethanol. Go figure.

Is everything better with Blue Bonnet on it?

Prior to the plastic bag with the color inside, oleo came in a 1 pound white brick with the coloring in a small packet. Mom would sometimes use oleo for cooking and not want the color, sis and I would save the unused color, double it in another pound, and make really bright colored butter.

When the bags with the bubble came out, we thought we were extremely high tec.