Red Gravy Update

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Things accomplished since the lease signing...

Kitchen scrubbed, sanitized.

Hood/exhaust scrubbed and sanitized. It also works...

Both bathrooms painted an ivory colour

Dining room painted red on the bottom, ivory on top.

Balcony painted blue on the bottom, yellow/ivory striping on top

A/C vents painted.

Window cleaned of old name, washed.

All the wood in the restaurant cleaned with wood soap.

Red Gravy sign ordered.

RedGravyCafe.com purchased

Restaurant insurance purchased

Plumber obtained - working as we speak

Electrician coming tomorrow to start work

China ordered

Flatware ordered

Furniture for the balcony area ordered.

Floor plans and restaurant information presented to local Sanitarian for approval to begin scheduling inspections

Equipment quote due by Friday

.......:shock:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'll take pictures when I go back tomorrow...at the very least you can see the new colours. Pretty sure I posted the old colour pictures...

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'm tentatively planning a meal at the Red Gravy between Christmas and New Years....

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Vera, you have been so BUSY. You are obviously a very goal-oriented person, and somewhere you must have a list. You are marking things off the list as a satisfying rate. Can't wait to see more pics.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Buzz....I really hope so!!

DW & I spend Christmas at my sister's in Wisconsin. This year we're driving, we're retired, we don't have to be anyplace in particular, we love to eat, we've been to NO a hundred times and love it. Did I say that we love to eat?

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Some new pictures of the dining room - painted and polished. The bar was removed yesterday! The coke machine came on Thursday!

September2010074.jpg

September2010075.jpg

September2010076.jpg

September2010077.jpg

September2010079.jpg

September2010080.jpg

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I remember the "real" coke machines. Put in a nickel and a bottle came down the slider thingy.

It's coming along, Vera. Good work. What's playing on the boom box?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Buzz, I remember the coke machines that were full of refrigerated water, You slid a bottle to one place in the tub, put in your nickel and lifted a cold bottle, a green one.

Vera, what you and Lou have done is nothing short of amazing.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Beautiful job on the stenciling, Vera! The colors are perfect. Looks like the floors are marble tile? I do love the woodwork. Did you paint all of thhose perfect gold strips? Yikes. Good work.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The striping was a two day project. First the wall was painted two coats of ivory. Then I mark all around the area, every two inches, 4 times from top to bottom. I have to make sure all the marks are level, so a yard stick, a pencil and a level are the tools for the marking job. Then, I taped down the mark lines, making sure those are still level. Then, I sponge painted two coats of yellow.

I hate that job.

We've been listening to classic rock on the radio. I hate that shit, too. Some songs are okay, but 70s rock just sucks. I'd be fine with some 80's alternative music, just cannot find a station that plays that. We've also set to the local jazz station - WWOZ. That's a pretty good jazz station. Unfortunately, there are some times when they play the weirdest shit.

The floor is a very light green marble/slate. I'm not crazy about the colour, but I am not going to get involved in the cost to change it.

This week - the grease trap in being cleaned in the kitchen on Monday. Tuesday I have an appointment with the CPA to establish the type of corporation I'll be (tax stuff), the hood is being serviced on Tuesday, as well. We're going to start painting the outside on Tuesday. I have to pick up paint for the kitchen floor, and then the special moulding for the around the kitchen. I'll have the quote for the equipment on Monday. At that point, I'll apply for the lease, which shouldn't be a problem. Then, the equipment will be ordered.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
here's a few pictures of the outside earlier in the week...and the outside yesterday. I also painted the office and office door. We also painted the kitchen floor this week.

Got the proposal for the equipment and furniture yesterday. I'm waiting to hear from the lease company how much they'll give me. The rest will come from my pocket. Orders should be placed on Monday.
RedGravy125CampStreet014.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet015.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet016.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet020.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet021.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet022.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet023.jpg

RedGravy125CampStreet024.jpg

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Woo-hoo! What a difference some color makes! Perfect shades of pink, Vera - will really grab peoples' attention without being garish. You're very good at this!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow!

The "before" looks like the outside of one of my beloved Boston Irish pubs, but not at all interesting for a restaurant.

The "after" looks like a place where I'd say, "Hey, let's cross the street and check THAT place out!"

Terrific, VB!

What is above? I think I see windows looking out at the overhang. What are they to?

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The red and ivory outside is the same red and ivory as inside! Lou and I took today off...and probably tomorrow, as well. Although, he's talking about going in to get the glue off the lower part of the kitchen walls so we can put new stripping around.

buckytom

Grill Master
is that guy drinking from a brown paper bag?

vb, is red gravy going to be a byo, or are you getting a liquor license?

btw, nice job on the marquee. it totally changes the character from boring to interesting of the facade.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
What is above the "porch" roof, VB?

Is that also yours?

Lee

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
By design, New Orleans is a BYO since you can carry your booze anywhere you want. Since I'm only planning breakfast and lunch at this time I have no interest in a liquor license. I'm more than happy to uncork a bottle of wine if someone would like, but I expect to be serving employees of the CBD (central business district) mostly, and don't imagine they'll be lingering overlong for lunch.

There's no reason to drink from a paper bag, unless you are concealing a glass bottle. In New Orleans, you can consume alcohol in public as long as it's carried in a plastic go-cup.