Red Gravy - A Vera Blue Cafe

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Coming soon to Camp Street, New Orleans!!

Just signed the lease on a 1600 sq. ft. property in the CBD area of New Orleans.

Name: Red Gravy

Estimated opening: Early November

Holy Shit Folks!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Woo-hoo! Congratulations, Vera! We'll understand if you are a little scarce around here in the next few months...lots of work to do. I am so excited for you!

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Just looked at a map of NOLA - looks you have a great location...close to LaFayette Square, right in the middle of the big hotels. Good start!

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
First, thanks to all of you!! Second, anyone wanna make a donation? I'm bleeding money over here!

I chose the name Red Gravy for several reasons. Down here, that is the name for 'the red stuff you put on spaghetti'. Literally, the menus down here say 'spaghetti with red gravy and meatballs'. It had always been my intention to open a cafe type of place and the name Red Gravy (considering that is what the main ingredient will be) made the most sense. Plus, I really like it.

There is a kitchen area, no equipment yet. Large dining/serving area, and even a slightly raised section that I'm planning to put a sofa and some lounge type chairs in (afternoon cafe au lait and dessert comes to mind). I've got enough room for about 10 tables after the serving area is created. Also, two bathrooms. Large picture window - looking into an estimate to make that a french casement window.

Just got a nice million dollar liability policy, too. Yes, bleeding money here folks, like it was made of water.

So...who's coming to the Grand Opening party??

mhend

Oh Vera!!! Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you. I know it's gotta be scary, but you have so much talent. It will be wonderful!!! Looks like I will be making a trip to NOLA soon! :)

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congrats Vera!!!!!! That is so awesome. I'm proud of you living your dream. So many folks think it but you are doing it. :tiphat: :clap: :clap:
I do plan to make a trip down there special to eat at Red Gravy, but it will not be in time for the grand opening. Best of luck with all this Vera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers:

TJCat

Congratulations on following your dream! :applause:

Based on the pictures you post here I think you're going to do very well!!! I can't wait to see the pictures of your Grand Opening! If I was closer I would definitely make a point of going to it.

PanchoHambre

Awesome name... sexy, clever, and comfortable... having seen your posts over time I cannot imagine the food will not be the same. You have now made me want to go to NOLA! Keep us updated on the progress Vera.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks all!!! It's places like this that give me the courage to actually do this, you know.

I've got the keys, and will start taking pictures as things develop. Meeting with my equipment guy and the plumber tomorrow.

Lou needs to start painting.

xox

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations girl and good luck with the new venture. I really hope it works out for you for sure.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SO exciting!!!

I can't wait to see what it looks like after Lou paints it! Yee- HA!

Lee

GotGarlic

This is fabulous news, Vera, I'm so happy for you! I know it's scary, but I also know you can do it! :smile: I really wish I could be there for the opening, but I'm running out of leave time already. Hopefully next year sometime :smile:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I have, or should I say, my feet have completely forgotten what it feels like to be encased in shoes for 8 hours!! The restaurant had been closed up for about 18 months....it's horribly dirty, even some mold growing on some of the stuff left behind.

Lou and I worked from 10 till 5 yesterday cleaning the dining room and starting the painting. That's without even touching the kitchen.

The Coca Cola guy came in yesterday. The electrician came in yesterday. The plumber returns today. And, while we were in there working the mailman came in...said "are you Red Gravy?" and proceeded to hand me my first piece of mail at the address!! (it was my liability insurance document). Then a young man walked in asking about a job!

I cannot believe it's Friday already. With the exception of the first week we got here (with all that unpacking), this has been the fastest week since we got here.

I cannot believe I have to put real shoes on again, today:glare:

High Cheese

Saucier
popcorn4jj.gif