Boneless Leg Quarters

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s something I picked up from a Public TV over-the-air cooking show. When I first saw it start, I was thinking whatever. But when it was finally done, I was floored and completely enthralled. I immediately did this and have been in love with it ever since.

What you do is de-bone a chicken leg quarter (or any fowl leg quarter for that matter), and leave it whole so that it looks like a regular leg quarter. You can then cook it plain or even stuff it. It shrinks a bit as you cook it and loses some of its shape, but that makes it a perfect candidate for chicken under a brick recipe or cooking it in a George Foreman type grill so that you mash it down which helps to keep its shape.

Start with a whole leg quarter. Begin by cutting around the tip of the thigh bone. Cut close to the bone to release the meat from the bone. Once you get it started, grab the exposed bone and hold it up. Now shave down the bone with your knife to roll the skin down the bone.

Once you get the joint exposed, cut through it and remove the thigh bone.

Now repeat the process on the leg bone.

When you get to the tip, use a large knife to sever the bone and leave the tip in the meat. Simply lay your knife across the bone and hit it with the back of your hand to snap the bone.

Finally, invert the skin and meat so that you can turn it back right side out and it will again look like a regular leg quarter.

Now cook it as you desire. I did this one in a George Foreman for 15 minutes. Then covered it in Buffalo Wing sauce and let it rest for 5 minutes. A rather tasty and fun lunch today. It’s particularly fun to gnaw on the bone tip.

Step1-33.jpg

Step2-28.jpg

Step3-24.jpg

Step4-17.jpg

Step5-14.jpg

Step6-8.jpg

Step7-8.jpg

Step8-5.jpg

Step9-2.jpg

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
BTW - These make great sandwiches. Just cut that bone tip off and slap it on some bread. Yummy! Kind of like a chicken steak as it is just a large hunk of boneless, juicy, dark meat.