What's Cooking NCT Sun. 6/11 to Sat. 6/17/2017?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Happy Sunday everyone.

Hoping I get the grill fixed and then it'll be steak on the grill.

Andy

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Re: What's Cooking NCT Sun. 6/11 to Sat. 6/17 2017?

Not positive but probably chili.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter

my pal & me may get fast food-- we hafta get to central pgh to get my device en pointe~

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter

Sunday lunch - French Fries with Bacon Salt made in an Air Fryer. Now to watch the Canadian Gran Prix....

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lawn mowed - check.
Grill fixed - check
Patio tarp up - check

Burgers on the grill on the he patio - check

Ironman

🍺
Leftover johnsonville brats cooked in a beer/butter/onion bath and charred on the grill and then back to the beer bath. Lays chips and potato salad too. Orange summer shandy to help wash it down. :):readytoeat:

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
This is our "Vacation" week, so I'm not gonna be in the kitchen much..... No Cape May this year, neither one of us is comfortable out on the Big Highway any more......
Watch for Restaurant pics tho' ...

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Last night was black forest ham with lettuce and tomato on a Hawaiian sub roll, celery sticks, and a pear.

Johnny West

No one wanted to cook after an afternoon of yard work so got the KFC $20 bucket (extra crispy) with mashed and slaw. The chicken came straight out of the fryer and after the trip home was still mouth burning hot and good - the best we've had.

Tonight it's leftovers.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I had to make a Sam's run, so I bought a rotisserie chicken. I'll have some of that tonight along with some broccoli and maybe some hollandaise, and maybe some tomato wedges. I've been getting some fantastic vine ripened tomatoes lately. I just cut them into wedges, put a little Lawry's seasoned salt on them, and chow down.

I also bought some salmon at Sam's and will have some of that later in the week. Right now I've got some compound butter in the making for the salmon (butter, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh parsley).

I bought a new George Foreman grill too. The old one started losing some of its now-stick stuff. This one says it has a new and improved and longer lasting non stick surface. We'll see.

I may try the salmon on the new GF.

Dogboa

Had a hankering for some sea scallops yesterday so we stopped at Restaurant Depot and I picked up 1-1/2 lbs of dry packed. We started looking through various cookbooks and settled on two recipes by Norman Van Aken. The first is seared on a corn cake with a red bell pepper sauce. The corn cake was supposed to be made with fine blue corn flour/meal, but we couldn't find any. These were very good!

w1-iLDdy5-xEqKrFntC8Yz0wh9Y7e5xyQSgi3_DaSuEpX92IB

As good as those seared scallops were this crudo/seviche was by far our favorite. The dressing was lemon, orange and lime juices with some garlic, fresh scotch bonnet, S&P and an annatto infused oil.

p5CtjvcRU6uNZ7wV6FE-LhCgjWJdAyBb3RlmbRnHfvApX92IB

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, Craig! One of these days I'm going to spring for some dry-packed scallops!

Lee

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
Oh man, Craig! One of these days I'm going to spring for some dry-packed scallops!

Lee

You really should. These were so sweet. I could have eaten my entire share prepared in the crudo recipe.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Walmart has great fried chicken in the deli.
So, I got 3 wings and a thigh, some mash and gravy, and some slaw too.
Just enough.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Had a hankering for some sea scallops yesterday so we stopped at Restaurant Depot and I picked up 1-1/2 lbs of dry packed. We started looking through various cookbooks and settled on two recipes by Norman Van Aken. The first is seared on a corn cake with a red bell pepper sauce. The corn cake was supposed to be made with fine blue corn flour/meal, but we couldn't find any. These were very good!

]

I saw John Besh make what he called a red pepper couli for some kind of outdoor cooking challenge. It has been so long ago that I can't remember if he used it on fish or shellfish. It sure did look, and so does yours. I think his had some kind of cream in it because it was more the color of vodka sauce.

I'd be all over those ceviche scallops. What does annatto infused oil taste like?

Dogboa

I saw John Besh make what he called a red pepper couli for some kind of outdoor cooking challenge. It has been so long ago that I can't remember if he used it on fish or shellfish. It sure did look, and so does yours. I think his had some kind of cream in it because it was more the color of vodka sauce.

I'd be all over those ceviche scallops. What does annatto infused oil taste like?

We make red bell pepper sauces for various dishes, we really like the one we make for lobster ravioli. Now if you include dried chilis, the list goes up quite a bit to include Tex-Mex, Mexican, Caribbean, South West, Korean and Thai.

I didn't taste the oil straight up, but annatto (achiote), IMO, adds a suttle, down to earth flavor. Achiote is the main ingredient in a paste I use for Cochinita Pibil.

medtran49

Gold Site Supporter
The one on the scallops was pretty much a couli. It was just roasted red bell, S and P, a bit of cayenne, and red wine vinegar. We thought it had too much vinegar, followed recipe, so added a bit of honey.

The red bell sauce I use for shrimp, crab or lobster ravioli is made from roasted red bells, diced onion and minced garlic that have been sauteed in butter and olive oil, cooled and zapped in food processor. That is then mixed with whatever is left from a plain bechemel used to bind the chopped seafood together, plus a splash of a light white wine, and seafood stock to make a smooth creamy sauce. If I don't have enough bechemel, I'll use heavy cream.

Red bell pairs exceedingly well with the above seafood.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
100 degrees yesterday. To hot to cook so we had assorted cheeses (Brie, Gouda, smoked Gouda, blue cheese, muenster), pepperoni, smoked turkey breast, apples and crackers.

Johnny West

I'm on my own tonight so got a t-bone out of the freezer. I'll do some kind of potato for a side but not sure what; maybe some baked beans, as well. :weber:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I bought some flounder fillets and will prepare them in the oven with lemon, butter, tarragon and chopped scallion.
-Wild rice and peas to go with.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
My dinner this evening will be beef tortilla wraps.
Deli roast beef, cream cheese spread on tortillas, topped with red onion, and red bell pepper slices.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Tacos on Thursday night.
Last night was hot dogs.
Tonight was Chicken parm and stuffed artichokes.