Mortar & Pestal. Who has one?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you have one of these?

It's an ancient centuries-old food prep device which probably goes way back to the Stone Age or Biblical times.

Even today, it still may be in use in many households! It is still very effective and it's mainly used to crush & mash garlic, herbs and spices.

I've had one for a while, but I still have yet to use it!

The one on the left has kind of a mushroom-shaped pounder. The one on the right is similar to the one that I have. :eating2:

Attachments

• mortar_pestle.jpg
    mortar_pestle.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 167
  • fresco-granite-mortar---pestle-bowl-11494934234.jpg
    fresco-granite-mortar---pestle-bowl-11494934234.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have a marble one like the one on the right. Actually it is my second one. Some how I broke the pestle. I used to use it to crack pepper corns before I got a grinder and for crushing garlic before I got my micro plane and press. This was when I first started cooking on my own,

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's mine.

This is a very big heavy monster!!

The bowl & pounder are awesomely very heavy!! You could KILL someone with them if they were trying to break into your house!!

But the next time that I need garlic paste, I will definitely give it a whirl!! :eating2:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 157

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
That's a beauty, Sherman!

I have a small white porcelain? ceramic? one that I never use. Well, I may have used it once to "muddle" some mint for a mint julep on Kentucky Derby day.

Lee

Attachments

• KentuckyDerby5-06.jpg
    KentuckyDerby5-06.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 155

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks! But like I said, it's heavy as the dickens!!

Looks like you took that photo during the summer here! Hah!! :eating2:

Last edited:

Ian M.

Sherman - That's a big one, all right - looks, as you say it is - heavy as the dickens. Good weapon if you should ever need one. I have several of these things - all marble except for one wooden one that I've never used becaue I'm afraid I'll damage it in some way. They're great for crushing herbs and spices - but it sure is easier to just go to a spice bazarre and buy them already crushed!

Ian

Ian M.

Lee - A very nice and flattering photo of you sitting there with your whatever drink in hand. I'm with Sherm - that's a summertime pix.

Ian

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sherman - That's a big one, all right - looks, as you say it is - heavy as the dickens. Good weapon if you should ever need one. I have several of these things - all marble except for one wooden one that I've never used becaue I'm afraid I'll damage it in some way. They're great for crushing herbs and spices - but it sure is easier to just go to a spice bazarre and buy them already crushed!

Ian

I almost need two hands to lift the thing! Hah!! :bonk:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lee - A very nice and flattering photo of you sitting there with your whatever drink in hand. I'm with Sherm - that's a summertime pix.

Ian

Yes, it was in May, Kentucky Derby day, in 2006.

I was drinking a mint julep but in a martini glass!

Lee

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had this one for years now. Don't even remember where I bought it from now. It is small but works well for my needs.

Mortar_Pestle.jpg

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I have a small one, actually too small to do any good.

This might be a good woodturning project for me over the winter though.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have a small stainless steel one somewhere in the back room. I'll come across it
someday.

Not looking for it because it'll aggravate, infuriate & make me mad as the dickens trying to find it and can't find it!! :mad:

loboloco

Never used one in the kitchen. I have a small porcelain one and a wooden one I use in mixing chemicals occasionally.

K

Kimchee

I have an old brass one from the Middle East that I used to use as a pen holder.
It has been restored to its rightful occupation, and gets used quite a bit.

LETHAL GTS

I have a big heavy one.
i prefer the larger ones as they don't move as easy when you are really beating on something.
I have had one for years and they are great for many things, but I use it mostly for dry herbs to bring the oils out like rosemary.
Best place to buy them are at the Chinese markets. They are cheap and of good quality from what I've seen. They don't mark them up by 100% like the kitchen stores and boutiques.