Brats with Onion Relish

Cooksie

Site Supporter
3573258959_60cb2d68e6.jpg

Here's how we like to cook brats:

1 package of uncooked brats (we use Johnsonville Original)
1 package soft hoagie rolls
softened butter for rolls
1 bottle beer
3 T apple cider vinegar
1 t salt
1/2 t ground mustard
1/2 t celery seed
1 bay leaf
black pepper, to taste
2 large yellow onions, sliced in rings
1/2 to 1 t crushed red pepper flakes
2 T flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 to 3 T olive oil

Mix together the parsley, red pepper flakes, and olive oil. Set aside.

In a very large skillet, mix together the beer, vinegar, salt, ground mustard, celery seed, bay leaf, and black pepper. Add the onions and bring to a low simmer. After 20 to 30 minutes, add the brats and return to a low simmer. Cook the brats about 10 minutes one one side, flip, and cook another 10 minutes. At this point, most of the liquid should be evaporated. Remove the brats from the skillet and set aside.

Drain the onions and place them into the parsley/red pepper/olive oil mixture to make the onion relish.

Add a small amount of oil to the skillet and raise the heat to medium high. Brown the brats on all sides to crisp the skins.

Spread the butter over the split hoagie rolls and toast. Place a brat on the the hoagie, mound with onion relish, and enjoy.

If we've got the grill fired up, we'll cook them with the onions and then put them on the grill to brown and crisp the skins instead of browning in the skillet. Toasting the hoagies on the grill is great too. Either way, they turn out mighty tasty :smile:.

chowhound

That's a beautiful thing, Cooksie.
This is how I like to do mine, but your way is next, just for something different. I grill 'em start to finish. That onion relish sounds fantastic.

Attachments

• Italian brats.jpg
    Italian brats.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 144

chowhound

High Cheese, from NJ, posted one with a hot dog once he called an Italian hot dog. It's a Joisy thing I guess, but man what a nice combination.