Well, the flagstone wall is done...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
At the time, most neighbors did like it. The town and our meanie neighbor, however, hated it. Took a lot of flack and some court dates but we won out.
Funny thing is the meanie neighbor love his lawn and was always telling us with kids we were supposed to have kept plenty of lawn for them to play on. I asked him if his grand kids were allowed on his lawn.. nope. He also apparently doesn't know which type of grass he has. It is Kentucky Bluegrass. Green in spring, brown and dormant in summer, green in fall. He spends all summer shallow watering it to death to try and get it to come out of it's dormant stage and turn green.
Plus he has grubs, his roots go down about an inch. We checked, LOL!

You know we have Kentucky Blue grass also and it stays green even under a foot of snow. From spring to summer it has to be mowed weekly or it will grow a foot tall in two weeks other than that it is the hardiest grass I've ever seen as well as the softest to the touch. Really a great grass. If it turns brown then your neck of the woods doesn't suit it very well.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
You know we have Kentucky Blue grass also and it stays green even under a foot of snow. From spring to summer it has to be mowed weekly or it will grow a foot tall in two weeks other than that it is the hardiest grass I've ever seen as well as the softest to the touch. Really a great grass. If it turns brown then your neck of the woods doesn't suit it very well.

That is exactly it, wrong zone!! And his does stay kinda green when it first starts to snow, and again just when the snow is clearing it looks greenish. But all summer... brown and crispy!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is exactly it, wrong zone!! And his does stay kinda green when it first starts to snow, and again just when the snow is clearing it looks greenish. But all summer... brown and crispy!

We have a service that comes out and aerates, seeds and sprays the stuff they put on golf courses a couple of times a year. It is hard to keep up but I sure don't have to do more than mow it and thankfully it isn't that much work. I have a 2 sections in front that are about 1800 sq. ft of grass which isn't much.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We have a service that comes out and aerates, seeds and sprays the stuff they put on golf courses a couple of times a year. It is hard to keep up but I sure don't have to do more than mow it and thankfully it isn't that much work. I have a 2 sections in front that are about 1800 sq. ft of grass which isn't much.

We don't water ours, or seed it, or put any chemicals on it, just prune it back about 3 times a year or once a month. Beats me having to mow every week!! :clap:

Also, about once every 2 years we go in and thin some stuff back out. This year we are setting up a water barrel as well to gather water for all the pots on the steps, annuals on the side of the house, pots on the patio, and all her plants for sale that are wait on the shelves until they are sold.

There are a couple of neighbors that use lawn services out here, but it is getting harder and harder for them to use and also more expensive. The chemicals keep turning up in our water run off and drinking water so they are passing stricter laws concerning their use age.
None too soon for me, they should have outlawed that stuff years ago! If you pick plants and grasses native to your zone you don't have to use all those chemicals to try and keep it alive, or use up all that water either!
With the water shortages, they are cutting way back on when you can water your lawn. Now it is down to once a week, which is not enough to keep it from going dormant and turning brown.
Doesn't effect me cause again I don't have to water my garden at all!

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Mav, you need a Cool Splash diervilla in that mix. Colorful AND native.

That is very nice, would make for a nice little shrub maybe up near the house.
You should see the Clematus' we have planted around the property! We have three along the garage, one on the side of the house that we tie to an arbor, and one in the front bed with a trellis to go up!
I will see if I can get DW to pull out some pics of them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We don't water ours, or seed it, or put any chemicals on it, just prune it back about 3 times a year or once a month. Beats me having to mow every week!! :clap:

Also, about once every 2 years we go in and thin some stuff back out. This year we are setting up a water barrel as well to gather water for all the pots on the steps, annuals on the side of the house, pots on the patio, and all her plants for sale that are wait on the shelves until they are sold.

There are a couple of neighbors that use lawn services out here, but it is getting harder and harder for them to use and also more expensive. The chemicals keep turning up in our water run off and drinking water so they are passing stricter laws concerning their use age.
None too soon for me, they should have outlawed that stuff years ago! If you pick plants and grasses native to your zone you don't have to use all those chemicals to try and keep it alive, or use up all that water either!
With the water shortages, they are cutting way back on when you can water your lawn. Now it is down to once a week, which is not enough to keep it from going dormant and turning brown.
Doesn't effect me cause again I don't have to water my garden at all!

Don't know what the chemicals are or if they are harmful, however our water is city supplied as we are a pretty good clip from it. This is a service the company has had for 20 years and as I said not a big piece of land as most of the 3 acres is concrete or metal buildings.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Don't know what the chemicals are or if they are harmful, however our water is city supplied as we are a pretty good clip from it. This is a service the company has had for 20 years and as I said not a big piece of land as most of the 3 acres is concrete or metal buildings.

You should post some pictures of that sometime, would be interesting to see. Is this a condo community you are in?

DW herself has an Applicators License as she uses chemicals on occasion, mostly when installing new gardens where she has to clear out the old. I always tell people around here, don't go with those big outfits that 'dump n run' cause most of the time their people don't even necessarily know what they are spraying or how much they are supposed to spray! And that is where the problem is coming in. I think one of the regs this year is that each person that is going to apply them must have an Applicators License showing they know what they are spraying and how to use it.
Better to go with a smaller operation that has the proper certs and training.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I love to see my friend Carmela's garden take shape every year. With all the deer around here she needed an electric fence. It is why I have a container garden (mostly flowers) on my porch. I will wait until I am sure we have gotten rid of the cold weather before I get started.

I would like to replace a lilac bush though.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
No I live in an apartment that is part of a self storage facility. Here is the web site for it with a picture of the front of the property and the building on the right side is the apartment with an office as the front room.

http://home.windstream.net/handiselfstorage/

Oh that's right, you mentioned that once before, duh!! If I can find DW's camera again I am gonna take another pic today now that she has moved plants around and graded it all out.
It rained last night so I can't move the flagstone walk yet...

buckytom

Grill Master
very nice, mav!!!! wtg!

you can tell professional landscapers/plant people live there. i have a few friends that have businesses, and all of their front yards are beautiful.

rock walls, stone paths, water features, every nook and cranny filled with a different plant that only a botanist would know the name.

i'm going to be doing a small stone wall around my herbs and raspberries next week, i hope.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
These will give you a better idea of what the outside looks like taken last May. Top is the private back yard area, Second down is the out side of the office/apartment, 3rd down is the office entrance, second to last is the interior wall including my new garden wall which we put in about 2 years ago now. The last picture is of my back porch with the private yard inside of it. As you can see we really have very little growing room.

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1912.jpg
    IMG_1912.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1932.jpg
    IMG_1932.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That wall is new, isn't it Joe? I think I am remembering something about that window and installing it as wel as the wall...

It looks real good, I also like the tree and bushes that arc around the tree by the front door. Very cool.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We have two of those trees (Bass Wood) the other is on the other side of the drive way. The flag is large also, 12' x 18' which we replace twice a year as the tend to fall apart due to the weather. The poll is 60' tall and I change the rope every second flag.

We have 455 storage units ranging in size from 5 x 5 to 10 x 30 and one 35 x 40 which is the wall in my back yard. The office/apartment is 28' x 45 so it is smaller than our larges storage space. These pictures where all taken just after the remodeling was done on the office/apartment area hence nothing growing yet in the new area with the wall as that was a mound of grass before. It took longer to mow as I had to use a weed whacker to cut it due to the slope. This year I'm going to be redoing the private backyard are as most of the azaleas died last years due to strange weather but was all we lost so it wasn't too bad though others faired much worse.

The first of the spring projects is done. The flagstone wall has been completed! Still plenty of stuff to do yet!

That looks great ! Did You use anything for a base under the walkway ? The reason I'm asking is that I have tons of those type stones on My property ,and would like to put them to some use . But,I'm concerned about them heaving and shifting during the winter . Thanks , John

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
That looks great ! Did You use anything for a base under the walkway ? The reason I'm asking is that I have tons of those type stones on My property ,and would like to put them to some use . But,I'm concerned about them heaving and shifting during the winter . Thanks , John

At first no, but then they did heave and shift, so we went back and put crushed limestone paver base under them. That is part of the reason we are re-doing the top part of the walkway near the wall, it is the last stretch that doesn't have any paver base under it.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I swore I put these up, but can't find them now?? Anyway, took a couple of picks today of what it looks like. Soil is graded, plants moved, lighting put in. Just need to re-do the top part of the walkway hopefully starting tomorrow if it doesn't rain again.

Attachments

• DSCF1264.jpg
    DSCF1264.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF1265.jpg
    DSCF1265.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 118

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
It is rainging now, so won't be getting anything else done out front. We laid out the new top path so once it dries out again we should be able to trench it, lay in the paver base, and then level it out.
You can see how the path is going to look in this pic:

Attachments

• DSCF3317.jpg
    DSCF3317.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 115

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That is some good work and looking forward to seeing the finished results, Mav. :a1:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
The amount of rain is directly related to the amount of outside work that needs doing.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Don't feel guilty, get well, enjoy the company of your lovely wife and work at a steady pace. Besides, we all got outside things to do so we can feel a little guilty together.