Bar Rescue.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Has anyone watched this show before?

It deals with failing bars that may be on the brink of closing their doors for good. But most, if not all the episodes feature a kitchen where untrained chefs prepare the food for the customers.

The series stars Jon Taffer, owner and chairman of bar/nightclub consulting firm Taffer Dynamics, Inc.[1] Taffer is a bar and nightclub owner who has started, flipped, or owned numerous establishments in a career that spans over three decades. Bar owners submit an application via the Spike TV website to have their failing establishment "rescued" by Taffer and his team of experts.[2]

A typical episode begins with Taffer's team performing reconnaissance and surveillance on a struggling bar to determine its operational and service weaknesses. For the recon, one or more team members and/or local residents enter the bar, order food and drinks to gauge their quality, and form an opinion of the atmosphere and service. The surveillance involves hidden cameras, pre-installed with the owner's consent, through which Taffer and his team watch the kitchen and customer service areas. He then introduces himself to the owner(s) and staff to discuss his findings, and to describe the changes he believes should be made (management, customer service, cleanliness, etc.) in order to make the bar profitable. He also examines the bar's financial records to find possible cost savings. During these meetings, Taffer exhibits a brusque, no-nonsense, and confrontational attitude intended to goad the owner(s) and staff into making drastic changes to the way the bar is run – including the firing of inept or dishonest employees when necessary.

Taffer's team members train the staff on methods of improving food/drink preparation, customer service, and efficiency, frequently concentrating on a more limited selection of recipes than the bar typically offers. After the initial training, Taffer puts the bar through a "stress test" (similar to a soft opening), inviting in a large crowd of patrons in order to determine how well the staff can use their newly learned skills to deal with the pressure of a busy night. He uses market research, technological tools, and partner companies to scientifically measure the bar's performance. After discussing the stress test's results with owners and staff, Taffer meets with his experts to begin devising a new concept for the bar.
The experts put the staff through a second, more extensive phase of training, overhauling the menu to fit the new concept. Once this phase is complete, Taffer closes the bar for a few days so that construction crews can redesign the interior. Deep-cleaning and structural work are performed when necessary. After the overhauled bar (often re-branded with a completely new name or a variation of the old one) is unveiled, Taffer takes the owners and staff on a tour to point out its new features. During the grand re-opening, he observes the overall improvement as a large crowd again packs the bar.

An epilogue segment describes the changes in the bar's success or failure since the re-opening, through a combination of text and interviews with the owners and staff. Bars are not required to keep the changes that Taffer implements; some have reverted to their original names, concepts, and/or menus since being featured on the show. Some have since closed, or changed ownership. :alc:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I enjoy the show Shermie. You did a great synopsis of what it is about. Taffer always has a reason to blow his top, make some drama and then they bring it all together. It truly gives one insights as to what running a bar would be like. Taffer's staff has the stats on drinks and food and how long it should take to serve up this or that and why some foods are better than others. Some bars just had frozen entrees. Those are the worst ..well worst in quality besides the ones who keep a filthy kitchen. Some had chicken sitting out, above the safe temp and other stuff contaminating other foods.

The show is not about drinking, but about how to make drinks that can be unique and draw in your clientell. It also makes clear that the bar owners that drink / get drunk and run the bar as their own private party place are total losers. Those are the ones who take all Taffer and staff has to give and then they change it all right back. They simply do not get it.

When I was young I thought running a bar could be a fun way to makes lots of money. Watching this show you quickly realize there is so so much more to it. I'm glad I did not sink any savings into a hell hole bar.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I enjoy the show Shermie. You did a great synopsis of what it is about. Taffer always has a reason to blow his top, make some drama and then they bring it all together. It truly gives one insights as to what running a bar would be like. Taffer's staff has the stats on drinks and food and how long it should take to serve up this or that and why some foods are better than others. Some bars just had frozen entrees. Those are the worst ..well worst in quality besides the ones who keep a filthy kitchen. Some had chicken sitting out, above the safe temp and other stuff contaminating other foods.

The show is not about drinking, but about how to make drinks that can be unique and draw in your clientell. It also makes clear that the bar owners that drink / get drunk and run the bar as their own private party place are total losers. Those are the ones who take all Taffer and staff has to give and then they change it all right back. They simply do not get it.

When I was young I thought running a bar could be a fun way to makes lots of money. Watching this show you quickly realize there is so so much more to it. I'm glad I did not sink any savings into a hell hole bar.

Thanks, guys.

Doc, I think that you hit the nail right on the head!

John Taffer has to whip those lousy owners into shape, especially since they've been slacking off and becoming slackers themselves.

They either have to get with the program, or close their doors for good. Some of them HAVE had to close, especially the pirate them bar! Taffer came and fixed it up, got rid of all that pirate stuff, and not too long after he left, it was right back where it was! They were forced to close up. :sad::bonk::ohmy:

Attachments

• John Taffer from Bar Rescue..jpg
    John Taffer from Bar Rescue..jpg
    19 KB · Views: 986
Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Chef Aaron McCargo Jr. (center) makes guest appearances on the show to train cooks, helping them make food more appealing and appetizing. :thumb:

Attachments

• Aaron McCargo Jr. on Bar Rescue.jpg
    Aaron McCargo Jr. on Bar Rescue.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 981