Potato Masher Redesign

Wart

Banned
I'm in my early 50's, male, and a bit of a tool geek (the functional kind).

I have #1 and have used something similar to #5. I like a bit of chunk in my mashed potatoes.

I leave the skins on my taters so #1 tends to work better for that. #5 tends to smoosh even over boiled skinned potatoes off to the sides.

I have used the Kitchen Aid (mixer) but have found that unless I am making a bunch of mashed it isn't worth pulling out then washing the mixer.

I think I've seen #3, didn't know what it was.

If I had a real thing for mashed potatoes I suppose I would start with #1 then switch to #5, for and for the silky smooth thing I would use a Chinois.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I have a #3 and a #4.

#3 works just fine. The ball on top makes it easy on arthritic hands. It really does make short work of the mash. The pivot motion when using it is easier on older muscles than the up and down motion of a standard masher. SousChef really likes it, and she's older than Buzz, and that's all I'm sayin'.

#4 looks shiny and pretty in my tool holder. Actually, it mashes potatoes to a pulp. The design has a lot of flat surface, and it S M A S H E S !

When I want regular mashed potatoes, skins and all, I grab #3. When I want smooth potatoes, no skins, I always use a potato ricer. Nothing makes fluffy mash like a ricer!

Now, if you want to do something useful, design me a ricer with a hopper big enough to be useful, but still easy to squeeze!

Female - after 40 no woman is required to tell the truth about her age.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have a #3 and a #4.

#3 works just fine. The ball on top makes it easy on arthritic hands. It really does make short work of the mash. The pivot motion when using it is easier on older muscles than the up and down motion of a standard masher. SousChef really likes it, and she's older than Buzz, and that's all I'm sayin'.

#4 looks shiny and pretty in my tool holder. Actually, it mashes potatoes to a pulp. The design has a lot of flat surface, and it S M A S H E S !

When I want regular mashed potatoes, skins and all, I grab #3. When I want smooth potatoes, no skins, I always use a potato ricer. Nothing makes fluffy mash like a ricer!

Now, if you want to do something useful, design me a ricer with a hopper big enough to be useful, but still easy to squeeze!

Female - after 40 no woman is required to tell the truth about her age.
You have sold me on the #3 SS!! LOL

chriscamp

@silversage: Thanks for the reply! Have you tried using a food mill? It has a large "hopper" like you want and you just crank a handle to force all the potatoes out like in a ricer. They typically come with mutliple inserts so you can use them for things other than potatoes as well.