Unbelievable Demand For A Chef's Knife

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I scored a knife this morning, or rather, I'm #10 on a list to get one from the next batch that are made. It's a 240mm Gyuto made by bladesmith Devin Thomas.

Chef Knives To Go in Madison, WI has an exclusive deal to sell some of his knives and there was a mob scene trying to buy one of the limited production beauties online. See here and here.

One of the reasons for the excitement was that a limited number were offered for sale yesterday morning at 9:00 AM and they sold out in about ten minutes. I received a PM from the owner of Chef Knives To Go this morning just in time to get on his site and place my order. As a result I'm high enough on the list that I should get one of the next batch.

It's made out of the same steel as my Takayuki Grand Cheff and you better believe I'm gonna make a report on it when it arrives.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I messed with one of his knives at the ECG this year and they are pretty impressive. Not a fan of AEB-L steel due to the wire edge but still very fine knives.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I just bought this silicone-coated chefs' knife the other day.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 155

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thank you!

Great!

Comes with its own sleeve to protect against nicks and cuts.

Rob Babcock

I was offered one by Mark of CKtG, basically because I buy a crapload of stuff from him, but at the time I was too broke. Lord knows when he'll have another one for me now that the cat's out of the bag!:ermm:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Hiya Rob. Where ya been?

Thombrogan and I have been pushing for an AEB-L or 13C26 for two or three years. That's why we both bought the Takayuki Grand Cheff. The only problem, if it is a problem, is that the GC only Rockwells at 57 (factory says 58). The Thomas knives are hardened to 61-62 which will give excellent edge longevity without being so hard as to have a tendency to chip.

Rob Babcock

Been around. I haven't been online quite as much. Living in South Dakota you have to cram a lot into the month or so of decent weather. Winter is the longest 6 or 7 months of the year, you know! Been trying to get out and do a bit of camping here and there, plus finding time to do a bit of sharpening, and trying out the occasional experiment from Ken. I spend a bit more time at KF than at the cooking sites lately.