Tryout of Induction

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok I order a Circulon Induction portable burner. Now keep in mind this works on 110 v and not 220v as a cook top would so it has about half the power. http://www.amazon.com/Circulon-50922-Infinite-Induction-Cooker/dp/B00143O9OU/ref=pd_sbs_hg_5

It took 4 qts of cold water to a roll boil in 7 minutes while it takes 15 minutes on my electric stove. I also found it works with my old Emerilware stuff, cast iron and all steel pans. It doesn't work with my Wolfgang Puck Classic as it is completely 18/10 stainless which can't be magnetize. Scan Pans won't work as they are also none magnetic.

Attachments

• Circulon Infinite Induction Cooker.jpg
    Circulon Infinite Induction Cooker.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 212

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
:huh:I've been eyeballing that particular model to use in my Wisconsin apartment - really glad you posted this and I look forward to your thoughts after you use it some more.

Last night I posted a thread on dry brining and reverse searing here and posted this picture.

RE05.jpg

The cook top is a Viking with four radiant and two induction burners. The pan in front is All-Clad and the one in the rear is a Demeyere. The combination of induction and magnetic receptive cookware is so good that it will always be my first choice of heat source. It's really too bad that induction cooking is so damn expensive in the USA but hopefully when it catches on more manufacturers will provide some competition and prices will drop.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I will have to replace my Innovation 12 qt stock pot and all my Wolfgang Puck Classic set which has an 8 qt stock pot. Both of my stainless stock pots have both a pasta insert and a steamer insert. I have some old steel pots (enameled with specks on them) which I'm sure you have seen. These are great for lobster and other things so I will probably just replace my 4 qt sauté pan, 1 qt sauce pan, and a 3 qt saucier all WP Classic. I won't bother with the rest of it but CIA Master Chef sells these pieces in for a fair price in a 7 ply setup for induction. I was surprised to find out my 1qt Emerilware saucier worked since it is the older one with the cooper/aluminum encapsulated bottom.

It has 9 power settings from 100w to 1500w. 1 through 3 allows the timer to be set to 9 hrs 59 minutes, while the rest all it to be set to 1 hr. Heat range is from 150 F to 430 F at 9. These are all constant cooking times by the way. Oh and if you put a non induction pan on it and turn it on it beeps at you to let you know. It also has a lot of other safety features that shut it off if something isn't right such as a pan over heats, over time detector, pan too small (5" minimum). I also like the fact the control pan slides in when not in use.

I wanted to try a cheap one to start before I spend up to 2K for a 36" cook top and a new electric oven.

Last edited:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm lusting over that burner, Joe. I'm renovating my guest house because my mom will eventually move here. The kitchen is minuscule and my mom doesn't cook much so I had thought I'd skip the stove and just have a microwave and a convection toaster oven. But this - I think this would be great!

I just need to check a pan with a magnet to see if it's suitable for use with induction, right?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That worked for me and I used a magnet off my refrigerator to test them. Not all stainless steels such as 18/10 will magnetize so if the bottom is they won't work, however 18/0 will and even if 18/10 interiors if the bottom is 18/0 it will work. Aluminum and cooper will not work unless encapsulated in something that can be magnetized. Any carbon steel, cast iron even the enameled will also work great on it.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've had two weird things happen with the pans. 1) I have a very small Lodge iron pot that, although magnetic, is not recognized by either burner on my cooktop, and 2) the rather large Demeyere pan works on the back (large) burner but doesn't work on the smaller front burner. It might have something to do with the Viking software. :confused:

Buzz

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
You'll really enjoy that Joe. I was an advocate of induction years ago, and have two older units in my attic (one may be 220). The only drawback is when you get to really big pots.... they just don't exist in ferrous metal. If I remember right, I couldn't find a 20 QT.

Just make sure you keep your Carter clear of that element ;)

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Joe, that's great! I'd like to consider induction whenever we start on the home at Turtle Rock... I bookmarked the link :) The propane I'm using now is nice, but I don't think it's quite as hot as natural gas. I really enjoyed induction the few times I used it :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've had two weird things happen with the pans. 1) I have a very small Lodge iron pot that, although magnetic, is not recognized by either burner on my cooktop, and 2) the rather large Demeyere pan works on the back (large) burner but doesn't work on the smaller front burner. It might have something to do with the Viking software. :confused:

Buzz

That is weird Buzz. Perhaps there is a minimum size requirement or something.

I'm still looking at the CIA Master pans at http://www.metrokitchen.com/category/cia-masters-collection-cookware They really look like the best quality and price out there over all of them. The 7 piece set would be perfect and add the Pasta/Colander Insert.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Joe, you can bet that as induction becomes popular there will be a ton of relatively inexpensive pots and pans available.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Joe, that's great! I'd like to consider induction whenever we start on the home at Turtle Rock... I bookmarked the link :) The propane I'm using now is nice, but I don't think it's quite as hot as natural gas. I really enjoyed induction the few times I used it :)

The more I compare it with gas the better it looks to me. I'm going to be replacing all my appliances next year and new cabinets so I will probably save a bit on the oven as I really don't need more than a single oven no larger than 30" and perhaps even a bit smaller. I have natural gas but it would be a major problem getting it run to my kitchen as it lines comes in on the other side of the building. I've also mentioned the place is a solid poured concrete foundation, no attic to speak of so it probably could not to code. I also like the safety feature with it and I'm sure you can understand you have meet Dawn. :wink:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well we roast not bake here, beside that is all I've ever owned come to think of it. The oven will be electric regardless. It is really true what they say, "The pro cook has what he needs, the home cook has everything", in your case Warren it is so true. :thumb:

PanchoHambre

I was looking at one of these today... thought it might come in handy when I demo the kitchen and be nice to have around after.... sort of pricey though

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Not really take a look at a single burner for a induction wok burner, they go about 1K and this was one of the cheapest at amazon.com which is where I got it. Had a discount card from them so I paid about $150 including sales tax with free shipping.

PanchoHambre

not bad... Macy's wanted well over$200... not that I would be looking for bargains there. Just browsing on my juror lunch break... figured I would look online and see how it compared.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You can get them on amazon.com for $200 with free shipping, taxes will depend on where you are.

pugger

I'd love induction, been thinking of adding a mini - cooktop or using a portable. We're on gas & it takes forever to boil anything. My old electric cooktop boiled water almost twice as fast as my 18k btu burner does w/ gas.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes my electric boils water faster than my old gas range did too but it worked at that time with propane not natural gas. At any rate the new full cook tops can take 8 qts of water to a roll boil in some cases in 90 seconds but they use a couple of tricks to do it. It actually heats the pan and not the top of it. In the case of the unit I just got if you remove a hot pot and put your hand down you will feel some heat as the pot heats the glass up but it isn't enough to burn you but a bit warm to keep your hand there long.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I got one, Joe. Picked it up on eBay for $150. The 3 qt Circulon saute' pan was acquired on eBay as well. Now DW & I have our own separate cooking stations in the apartment - sort of.

Attachments

• Circulon.jpg
    Circulon.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 154

joec

Gold Site Supporter
You are really copy cat, Buzz. I see you have the same stove and spice rack as I do also. You taking pictures of my kitchen? :yum:

I love mine and it works so great I do more cooking on it than on the stove now. Made a gravy last night for a roast beef, on mine with some shallots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, tarragon, white wine, beef broth and a teaspoon of demi glaze as well as a splash of Worcestershire.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
You are really copy cat, Buzz. I see you have the same stove and spice rack as I do also. You taking pictures of my kitchen? :yum:

I love mine and it works so great I do more cooking on it than on the stove now. Made a gravy last night for a roast beef, on mine with some shallots, mushrooms, garlic, thyme, tarragon, white wine, beef broth and a teaspoon of demi glaze as well as a splash of Worcestershire.

I became so spoiled with my cooktop in FL that I had to have induction here too. If I remember correctly, the max power on the Viking is 3500 watts more or less so I thought the 1500 watt max of the Circulon wouldn't heat very fast. Boy, was I wrong. It boils water twice as fast as gas, and that is with some inexpensive 18/10 SS cookware purchased at WalMart. The new Circulon Infinite saute' pan deserves a thread for itself. It is very heavy duty with anodized aluminum sides and a 1/4" steel plate on the bottom. It's the equal of my All-Clad and Demeyere pans.

Edit: Oops, I was wrong about the pan bottom. It's "stainless steel base encapsulated by an aluminum core".

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'd love to have one of those, but with our convection toaster oven, canisters, microwave, blender, ice tea maker, rice cooker, deep fryer, and coffee maker, DW says we are out of counter space! :neutral:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I'd love to have one of those, but with our convection toaster oven, canisters, microwave, blender, ice tea maker, rice cooker, deep fryer, and coffee maker, DW says we are out of counter space! :neutral:

Aww, you can talk her into it. I can show it to you on Saturday if you like because I'm gonna be in your area - have to drop DW off at a baby shower in Baraboo.....

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I can set mine on top of the stove if necessary or even a bar stool. I took it with me this year to the ECG at Warren's and even used it in my motel room to make some eggs and bacon for breakfast. It is pretty light and easy to move around though mine sits right next to my cutting board on the counter.

Buzz I will have to tryout one of the Circulon pans for it. I have a mixed set of All Clad stainless, Emerilware both the Pro and his old line and a couple of sauce pans by others that are induction ready.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I can set mine on top of the stove if necessary or even a bar stool. I took it with me this year to the ECG at Warren's and even used it in my motel room to make some eggs and bacon for breakfast. It is pretty light and easy to move around though mine sits right next to my cutting board on the counter.

Buzz I will have to tryout one of the Circulon pans for it. I have a mixed set of All Clad stainless, Emerilware both the Pro and his old line and a couple of sauce pans by others that are induction ready.

It's the Infinite series, Joe. Here's their blurb:

The Infinite CIRCULON 3 Qt. Sauté Pan is extremely versatile - no kitchen should be without one! It is best used for sautéing meats or vegetables, frying chicken, pancakes, eggs and grilling sandwiches. Its Deep sides give extra capacity so that you can braise, stew, deglaze, or add additional ingredients after browning for recipes such as chicken or paella.

Infinite CIRCULON is dishwasher safe and suitable for all stovetops including induction. Infinite cookware pieces feature a stainless steel base encapsulated by an aluminum core, professional quality stainless steel lids, and hollow-core cast stainless steel handles.

Additional Information
Features: Infinite Circulon Collection Features:
TOTAL® “Hi-Low” Food Release System - Guaranteed to OUTLAST all other nonsticks!
Hard-anodized body & patented steel base for exceptional strength & even heating
Durable, commercial grade cookware with a contemporary feel
Nonstick inside and out for easy cleaning & dishwasher safe!
Stay-cool, hollow-core cast stainless steel handles & professional quality stainless steel lids
Suitable for all stovetops including induction, glass, gas, electric stoves & oven-safe to 500°F
Unparalleled specialty pieces including: straining stockpot, griddle, oven to table casserole pan and butane or induction burners

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Aww, you can talk her into it. I can show it to you on Saturday if you like because I'm gonna be in your area - have to drop DW off at a baby shower in Baraboo.....

Sure! C'mon by. We'll be working in the yard, but there's no problem taking a break! You don't need to bring the burner, but if you wouldn't mind bringing that Kershaw "steak" knife. I'd like to see that.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Sure! C'mon by. We'll be working in the yard, but there's no problem taking a break! You don't need to bring the burner, but if you wouldn't mind bringing that Kershaw "steak" knife. I'd like to see that.

It's a deal. :thumb: I'm not sure of the times yet, but we'll be spending Saturday night at my sister's in Merrimac - family get together. I'll PM you with the details.