I need a new grill

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I had a cheap little Fiesta grill for about 10 years and it finally died so I am looking to buy a new gas grill. I've never had a nice grill so I'm pretty excited. I want a SS grill with large casters so it can be moved around easily. I don't want to spend a fortune...maybe $500 to $750. Any recommendations from all you master grillers out there? What features do you feel are important?

K

Kimchee

Personally, I don't use my side burner a lot, but it is nice to have every now and then.

Whatever you get, be sure to buy a good grill cover at the same time... it extends the life of your grill quite well!

What kind of cooking do you mostly do on your grill? That will have an impact on what's best for you.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Personally, I don't use my side burner a lot, but it is nice to have every now and then.

Whatever you get, be sure to buy a good grill cover at the same time... it extends the life of your grill quite well!

What kind of cooking do you mostly do on your grill? That will have an impact on what's best for you.

I've never done a whole lot of cooking on a grill because I've never had a good one. Mostly just grilled burgers, finished off ribs and grilled chicken but I'm excited to start expanding my horizons!

If it doesn't already have a rotisserie, I want to get one.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>suggestions

charcoal [g]

I've semi-drooled over the megabuck grill things - stainless is definitely good. then I look more carefully and for wont of a couple $0.06 stainless screws, it's electroplated/flash galvanized fasteners that'll rust in a year or so.

I have a Sears cast aluminum charcoal grill I bought in, jesh.... 1986(?) when it started to age, replaced all the steel hardware with stainless, replace the pine red stained "redwood" with read redwood, replaced the cast iron grates once and I don't remember when . . . had a stainless ash tray custom-made to replace the aluminum one that rotted away. but heh, the plastic wheels are still good!

my advice: pay very close attention to detail on any of these megabuck grills - it's a "fad" and everybody is aiming to get their 7000% profit piece of the pie.

I'm sure there must be "really good brands" out there - but the typical home center stuff needs a full overhaul immediately after you buy it.

I'd relate some of the inane home-center "experts" response to my question: "and z'actly with all this stainless and the $1600 price tag, why is the lid screwed on with plated steel screws?" but ya'll probably get bored . . .

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I'm happy with my Kenmore. It was about half the price of a comparable Weber, and nearly as good quality wise. I was at Sears the other day, and they had a big selection. You could get a really good one for $300-$500. Mine has four stainless burners with a ten year warranty, and it came with porcelain coated, cast iron grates. Definitely check them out before you buy.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm happy with my Kenmore. It was about half the price of a comparable Weber, and nearly as good quality wise. I was at Sears the other day, and they had a big selection. You could get a really good one for $300-$500. Mine has four stainless burners with a ten year warranty, and it came with porcelain coated, cast iron grates. Definitely check them out before you buy.

That is another question I have...porcelain coated or SS? Which is better?

waybomb

If you have a Whirlpool outlet near you, somebody selling B or C grade, you can pick up a $3,500 ALL stainless grill, with seer burner, side burner, back burner, and made with a high grade stainless, for about $500.00. I did.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think we need a road trip up to your neck of the woods, Fred. You'd put me and Mama up, right?

CharlieD

I just bought a grill. What a junk, it doesn't cook evenly though looks very pretty. If I buy another grill it will be Only Webber. My old webber is about 10 years old and cooks as well as new. I'm sure the new ones are even better. Especially the ones with rotisery attachments, looks really awesome.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I've had a couple of expensive gas grills with all the bells and whistles. My experience was that I very seldom used anything but the main grill itself and have settled on a Weber Q-300. These are available for a little north of $300 and do everything I need. Caveat: I do own and use a dedicated gas smoker as well as the Q-300.

image.aspx

CharlieD

You mmight be right. About bells and whistles. I am pretty happy with what I have. It just I would love to have rotisary.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I wsh we had a Whirlpool Outlet around here somewhere but we don't. So, unless something better comes along, it looks like the winner is going to be.........the 7 burner Jenn Air at Sam's Club for $799. They have the same one on ebay for $1100. It looks like it's pretty well made. The burners are stainless steel.

Here are the specs and a picture of it:
Manufacturer: NextGrill
Model Number: 720-0709
Main Burner: 5 @ 50,000 BTU
Searing Burner: 1 @ 15,000 BTU
Rear Burner: 1 @ 13,000 BTU (Rotisserie burner)
Total BTU: 78,000 BTU
Corrosion resistant commercial grade 445 stainless steel
828 square inches of cooking area
Commercial quality electric warming drawer
Cover included
The grill hood doubled walled
Price: $799

%21BlTf1owCGk%7E$%28KGrHqUH-CcEs+lVeIWSBLbIEhpZtQ%7E%7E_12.JPG

I'M PRETTY EXCITED!!!!!!!! We're going to do a little more comparison shopping before we buy it though.

Thanks everyone for your input! :tiphat:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Hey Mama! I just bought one just a bit smaller than that one. It only has 4 main burners instead of 5, but the rest seems the same. Oh, and the cabinet doors look just a little different. It was $599 at BJ's.

Now the flip side, something is wrong with it!!!! The searing burner doesn't get hot enough to sear, and the main burner took 20 additional minutes to bring a 1 inch steak to RARE! We've talked to Jenn Air and they are sending us a new regulator. If that doesn't do the trick, it's going back to the store. The regulator should arrive Tuesday. I'll let you know how it works then.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Definitely let me know if that fixes it. It's good to know that they responded promptly to fix it.

Does yours have the rear Rotisserie burner and the warming drawer? I haven't checked at BJ's yet. I may have to take a trip there to check it out. If it's $200 less and the only difference is one burner...

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Yes, it has the rear rotisserie, but no to the warming drawer (I guess that's why the front doors look a little different). It also is missing one of the side tables (the one on the sear burner side.) But it has the one on the other side. That's it - everything else is the same.

I'll let you know when the regulator arrives.

smoke king

Banned
Hey Mama, Dont forget to check Sams club and/or Costco-While I wasn't grille shopping, I seem to remember a nice selection at both of those stores last year.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks SK! The grill I'm considering is at Sam's Club. I'll check BJ's and Costco this week.

FooD

We have a large 5-burner SS Kenmore but the grill I use most often is my 22" Weber charcoal kettle. It practically does everything, including smoking.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Okay, DH had the night off last night so we went to look at more grills. We went to Costco and, although they had a nice one there, it was somewhat smaller and did not have the warming drawer. I just couldn't get the grill at Sam's Club out of my head so we went to again to look at it again. When we went on Saturday they had 8, last night they had 1 left :ohmy: The box on it was pretty beat up so we asked if there was another Sam's around the city that had one in good shape. There are 12 Sam's Clubs in the Atlanta area and only 2 had any left and they only had a few. They said they were flying off the shelves. The nearest one was 35 miles away so we had them hold it and we went and got it.

I ordered the rotisserie today and we will put the grill together this weekend and check it out. The warming drawer is going to be REALLY COOL! Not only is it a warming drawer but it will proof dough and also work as a slow cooker!!!!! I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with this thing! I can't wait to start playing with it. :w00t2:

Thanks again everyone for your input!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Very nice Mama. That's a one NICE grill. And so big. :eek: You could cook for the whole block. :D :thumb:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
WooHoo! Congratulations, Mama! That is a fine looking grill. And I didn't realize it had a warming drawer, too. I would love to have one of those for when I don't manage to have everything get done at the same time. I can't wait to see the pics of all the delicious things that will be coming off of that grill.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Ooooh, Mama. There is this awesome stuff called Sheila Shine. I get it at a restaurant supply place. It's awesome for stainless steel. If you put it on right away, it keeps slops and blobs of food from getting stuck/burnt on. (Not for surfaces you will be cooking on - but all the rest of the grill.) I put it on mine 3 or 4 years ago when I got my grill and it looks brand new still.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Ooooh, Mama. There is this awesome stuff called Sheila Shine. I get it at a restaurant supply place. It's awesome for stainless steel. If you put it on right away, it keeps slops and blobs of food from getting stuck/burnt on. (Not for surfaces you will be cooking on - but all the rest of the grill.) I put it on mine 3 or 4 years ago when I got my grill and it looks brand new still.

I'll see if I can find it. Aerosol or liquid?