Bravo's Top Chef

Jeff G.

Did anyone watch tonight? I was shocked they sent Fabio home, although I actually like Carla. I think what she may lack in bravado, she must make up for in skill. Her food looked amazing tonight.
Yes.. I have to completely reverse myself on Carla... wow, what a job she did for Emeril!! I loved the line.. "you think that was good, wait until you taste the chowder"...she blew the judges away and that is hard to do!

I think they made the wrong choice.. While some of Fabio flavor structures might have been off. He was taking a bigger risk than Stephan.. They had nothing really good to say about Stephan's dishes, just nothing bad. It was a very tough call I am sure.

Jeff G.

I've never seen this show..... and what actually constitues an IRON CHEF anyhow?? Aren't we all Iron Chef's??? lol
Iron chef is a different animal than Top Chef.
The iron chefs are proven Top of the List chefs. I watched the competition when they were adding a new Iron Chef to the list.. wow talk about tough cooking!!!

Iron Chef is my second favorite cooking show.

jkath

ooooooooooooh discussion about my favorite show!
Like smoke king, I've seen every episode first run, and then again at least once throughout the week on the DVR. Out here in the west, it comes on at 7pm, so I always have to make dinner early so I can watch it ;)
Here's my take: I always liked Carla & Jeff's attitudes - they are both kind! So sad that Jeff left, and then was brought back, only for Colicchio to verify he was one of the top three, then to be sent home, since he wasn't the #1 of the day :( So with that, I say go Carla! She's just such a neat lady. Hosea seems to be a better chef now that Leah wasn't by his side anymore. I don't particularly think she had the talent to stay as long, but I'm with probably most of the public in the view that says they kept her there for entertainment purposes only. Much as Jamie (who only cooked scallops or soup) bugged, she was a fine contender and should have made it to the end. Stefan loves Stefan, always has, always will. I love Fabio's sweetness. (and his wedding photo was so nice - his wife is gorgeous!) Dh was so sad to see him go. Since we only live an hour away, if he still has his restaurant, we may go up and try it out some time.
I am still awed at the amazing chefs who frequent the top chef guest judge seats. Amazing. Can you imagine cooking for these people? I think having Emeril at the end was a fine idea - love it!
okay, that's my take. Happy watching on Wednesday, all!
Now, is there a thread for Hell's Kitchen? That's our other favorite.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Carla in my opinion will win it all and she wasn't my favorite to win it at the beginning of the season either.

CharlieD

I'm not fond of Carla. But she has been doing really well. I was really said to see Fabio go. But I am not predicting anything. It is just imposible to guess. I wish I was on the judges panel to taste theyummy foods they will make tonight.

Jeff G.

Carla in my opinion will win it all and she wasn't my favorite to win it at the beginning of the season either.
I was not a Carla fan early on, I didn't think she had the chops to get it done. Luckily for her the last few challenges have fit well with her simple style.

I think that might be her downfall when it comes to non-regulated full out meal.

I don't think "down home southern" is going to take it. They will be looking a lot at technique, depth and complexity of flavors, presentation...

I hope she wins it....but I have my trepidations...

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Shucking those clams and pulling that whole thing off, especially for super pallet Emeril (known for his ability to taste what every ingredient is in food). She isn't afraid to tackle what ever is thrown at her regardless and good simple cooking style is usually better than over thinking their subjects. It is one of the reasons I didn't think she would be there at this point as I was thinking they was looking for a lot of glitz and glamor not taste. You know what I mean, the pretentious stuff you see in high dollar restaurants today that work out to $25 a bite.

The other two also have problem in the German seems to have a problem with seasoning and the other guy has a problem with the German who he can't seem to beat for what ever reason. He sure can't out cook him. I would of bet in the first of the series that both of these guys would of been gone. Two of the 3 (not the brunette) they brought back and gave them a second shot at the finals would of been the two at the end.

GhettoRacingKid

I realyl didnt like this cast at all.

i was found of jamie. I thought she was super cute and would love to have tried to turn her to the otehr side. wink wink.

I think stefan is very cocky and it will probably be his down fall at least i hope.

I liked fabio as the season went on.

carla aka big bird to the wife and I has grown on me. while no ones food inpresses me at all I wouldnt mind seeing her do well but I think jousa is going to pull it out in the end

Jeff G.

I knew Carla would screw it up somehow. I can't believe she didn't cook "her" food.. I think she could have taken it.
The other two both had problem points.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I missed it but read about it this morning. I will catch it on Sunday when they replay it. She still got the new car from last show plus some other good things over the course of the show. She still did better than I thought she would the first time I watched her.

CharlieD

I don't understand this show, they kept praising Stefan and then Josea won. Explain that to me. It's like Iron chef. The judges keep praising the chalanger and then iron chef wins any way. Bizare.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I don't understand this show, they kept praising Stefan and then Josea won. Explain that to me. It's like Iron chef. The judges keep praising the chalanger and then iron chef wins any way. Bizare.
I know what you mean. I think every challenge is a blank slate meaning it doesn't matter how great your food was yesterday or last week or ever - they judge stricly on what you plate that challenge and compare it to what everyone else plates that challenge.

I thought there was some implication by the judges that Carla might have let herself be sabataged by her sous chef. Did anyone else get that or was I just misreading it?

jkath

As soon as I saw Casey start inputting her ideas, I turned to DH and said "I sure hope the sous vide doesn't screw up Carla's chances".... I also thought the same when Carla said "cheese tart" (knowing she rocks the pastry) and Casey not only said souffle, but also bleu cheese?! GRRRRRR.... not good.
Yeah, it's okay that Hosea won, but, I'm still sad.

Here's the thing that really really surprised me: Stefan showed real emotion! He really choked up when Carla was in tears. I immediately saw him in a different light. He does have some "nice-guy" inside him.

SO......who will win fan favorite?
I bet it will be Fabio. Or maybe Jeff or Carla. All the nice ones.

And, what will this year's T-shirt say? Wonder if it will be Fabio's "we could serve monkey-butt on a clam shell......"