Toaster Oven?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
I am thinking about purchasing one.
Why? don't know exactly. I think sometimes it would be practical to have one.
Pros, cons? Brand suggestions?

Phiddlechik

I'd be interested, too. I teach a cooking/music (yep) class for adult ed at the college, and they have me in a math classroom. So I bring a two burner hot plate. I'd like to do some baking demos, so am thinking of getting a toaster/convection oven that I can bring, too. Class starts in a couple of weeks: Aaron Copland, American cuisine.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
I was asking some of my co-workers about them at work, some had one in college and said they'd have starved if they hadn't had one in the dorm.
Thought about getting one years ago when I was living off base with Navy hub, never did. I cooked on a half-assed gas stove in a basement apartment.
Right now I have every kitchen appliance I could ever want, but was just curious as to how well they work, and what brand(s) are most reliable.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I have a Delonghi toaster/convection oven that I've had for over 20 years and that I love. I use it all the time for toasting bread, English muffins, bagels, appetizers and to reheat things that I want to be crispy. It even has a dehydrator setting and I bought the racks for it. But my model isn't available anymore.

Two of the top Consumer Report-recommended models are Cuisinart TOB-195 and Kenmore (Sears) - 126401. The former is $180 and the latter is $120, and the ratings are almost exactly the same, so I'd take a hard look at the Kenmore.

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
I have this guy: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/convection-ovens-countertop-oven-with-convection--rotisserie.html

It really isn't a toaster oven, because it's too big. You can make toast using the broiler, but that's kind of a PITA. I really wanted it to have an extra oven, and it works really well for that. I've never used the rotisserie function, and I've had it for a year. I also have one of those Farberware rotisserie things and (drumroll please) a Ron Popeil rotisserie oven that I've had for years and really love. It does a wonderful job and I can cook 2-3 chickens at a time. The convection oven uses quite a bit of electricity, and I notice a difference on my electrical bill when I use it alot. But it's very handy and I'm pleased with it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
I have this guy: http://www.hamiltonbeach.com/convection-ovens-countertop-oven-with-convection--rotisserie.html

It really isn't a toaster oven, because it's too big. You can make toast using the broiler, but that's kind of a PITA. I really wanted it to have an extra oven, and it works really well for that. I've never used the rotisserie function, and I've had it for a year. I also have one of those Farberware rotisserie things and (drumroll please) a Ron Popeil rotisserie oven that I've had for years and really love. It does a wonderful job and I can cook 2-3 chickens at a time. The convection oven uses quite a bit of electricity, and I notice a difference on my electrical bill when I use it alot. But it's very handy and I'm pleased with it.

Thank you too Karen!
A lot of times I am known amongst those who know me well as 'the impatient cook' :yum:.. and I am!
I really hate using my microwave for anything unless it's for heating something quickly like leftovers or melting butter in seconds-micro popcorn, that kind of thing.
I have heard some of the models can get pretty hot while using, but I trust some have a cool touch feature as well.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
This one gets pretty hot, Sass. It obviously doesn't have as much insulation as a regular oven.

buckytom

Grill Master
we have a hamilton beach 2 slice toaststation. since space is limited in our upstairs kitchen, it takes the place of a top loading toaster and a small oven.

dw uses it a lot to make cheese melts, chicken fingers, french fries, fish sticks, and so on for quick lunches. it's much better than having to heat up the whole oven for just a small amount of food. and of course, it performs the function of a regular toaster.

they're pretty cheap (i think you can get one for $45), and not the most durable but it does what we expect. i think we probably replace it every 7 or 8 years or so.

Attachments

• 300[1].jpg
    300[1].jpg
    20 KB · Views: 129

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Tom.
Does that one get really hot on the outside while it's in use?
You guys have to understand, I live in a manufactured home and am always concerned about burning the place to the ground.
I have left the crock pot on all day while at work and things like that, even something roasting in the oven for 2-3 hrs while I am out, last thing I'd want to do is be in the shower or run out someplace and have a unit catch fire.
Safety is my biggest concern here.

home.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
the glass door gets hot, and the top of the unit gets hot with the trap door closed to make it an oven, but not "catch on fire" hot. well, not immediate combustion unless you have oily rags about in the kitchen, lol.

any toaster has the possibility of starting a small fire, though, if not kept clean and the area around it clear.

i think a plastic bag from bread melted onto one of the units once, staining it, but that was about it.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
we have a hamilton beach 2 slice toaststation. since space is limited in our upstairs kitchen, it takes the place of a top loading toaster and a small oven.

dw uses it a lot to make cheese melts, chicken fingers, french fries, fish sticks, and so on for quick lunches. it's much better than having to heat up the whole oven for just a small amount of food. and of course, it performs the function of a regular toaster.

they're pretty cheap (i think you can get one for $45), and not the most durable but it does what we expect. i think we probably replace it every 7 or 8 years or so.
Can you broil in that bucky? It seems like the toaster up/down is where the broil coils would be.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
To re-heat pizza, nice and crispy, of course! :D
Heat a heavy bottom pan or cast iron pan till screaming hot. Put slice of pizza in pan for a minute or 2 and Viola!! Hot crispy slice of pizza!!

FooD

Heat a heavy bottom pan or cast iron pan till screaming hot. Put slice of pizza in pan for a minute or 2 and Viola!! Hot crispy slice of pizza!!

Yes, that is my preferred method too, and less gooey mess in the toaster oven.... :D

loboloco

Sass I had a very small one I used to cook in the truck with. Cooking just enough for one or two people it was ideal. Never had a fire problem, but did have to replace it once due to it coming loose and bouncing off the other side of the truck. One thing, do not set anything plastic on top as it will melt it.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen β˜•πŸŒŽπŸ¦‹
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks Jeff.
Thanks everyone.
I'll probably decide on one within the next week or so.
Saw a Black and Decker model at a store on the way home a while ago.
I think it was around $45.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I've ben using toaster ovens since I got one for a wedding gift. One year my oven died a week before Easter!! We ordered a new stove/oven but it wasn't going to be delivered till the week AFTER Easter. So I cooked my eye round roast for 4 people in my toaster oven!! turned out great. But lately I have been using my regular oven because the outlet I use needs to be replaced. It takes way to long to cook even toast. But that job will have to wait.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I never saw the desire to get one of these.

I'd want to do a roast in one but can't since they are so small, so I don't bother.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I never saw the desire to get one of these.

I'd want to do a roast in one but can't sinc e they are so small, so I don't bother.
How big a roast? The one I did was 5 lbs and about a foot long!!